Discussion » Nonsense » Physics

• Jon Gu - 顾晓帆
    Jon Gu - 顾晓帆 wrote:
    Here's a question I've been pondering...

Let's say that you toss a 100kg fat guy. Well, OK, in the interest of realism, let's shoot him out of a cannon instead. Let's assume that he is projected outward at approximately a 20 degree angle and at maybe 80km/hr. When he lands on the ground (concrete pavement), what kind of injuries do you think he would sustain?

Now to the actual point of the question... Instead of a 100kg fat guy, what if you repeated the experiment with a 100kg muscular dude? Same height and frame, just with muscle instead of fat.

Who would be injured more? Assuming they fall at the same angle and velocity and such, their trajectory is the same, and the fat on the big dude isn't sufficient enough to flap out and cause a sort of sail effect thus slowing him down along the way.
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    The fat guy will have a more important outside surface, so more exposure to the air and will land a bit more slowly than the slim dude. Regarding the injuries, well, ask a doctor about that, not me!
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Yes, that was my initial thought, however in my last paragraph I asserted that we will assume that his fat was not sufficient to flap out parachute style and cause any decrease in velocity. So impact velocity should remain the same.

I tend to think that fat is an excellent shock absorber and would transmit fewer forces to the body and bones, and thus the fat guy would come out better, but I'm sure there are other considerations too...
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Find a human canon too!
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Normally I'd volunteer but I've already played this game many times falling off my motorcycles. And in case you're wondering, no, I was never injured, not in 15 crashes, some at over 120km/hr. It's incredible.

Actually, pondering the slowdown more based on the fat dudes increased surface area... I think this would actually cause more harm than good. Given the low angle of trajectory, the air would indeed slowdown his velocity... but only the horizontal component of velocity would be affected. His vertical acceleration would still be governed almost 100% by gravity. At a certain point, it's more advantageous to be traveling faster but falling at the same rate. This way when you land, the force is spread over a larger area and over a longer period of time, and you have more of an opportunity to roll or slide vs falling flat on your ass and transferring all the impact into said ass. hmmm.....
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

给我多点儿条件,我能帮你把轨迹线表达式写出来…

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.