Discussion » Beijing Life » christian church in beijing

• Miss Red Head
    Miss Red Head wrote:
    Where is a christian church in beijing? Somewhere in Chong Wen Men perferred. Would like to attend mass on the weekend.
    Please suggest!
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    i know the one near zhongguancun
  • Børge Notkevich
    thank u
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    There is one just north of wangfujing too.
  • Børge Notkevich
    I know there's a massive church in wangfujing, but do they have mass?
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Not being christian myself, all I can recall is last time I went there the door was closed but I think there's a not that indicates times for opening and mass. That's all I can tell.

http://www.thebeijinger.com/directory/St-Josephs-Wangfujing-Church-Dongtang-Cathedral

Give em a call!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

There is also one near Chao Yang Park ... not too certain about the exact location, because a friend of mine goes there every week, and she lives on the western side of Beijing ...
  • Børge Notkevich
    thanks all, found one in Chong Wen Men :)
  • Escade
    Escade wrote:
    @Angela:yes,u found the right location for Christianism in Chong Wen Men...

p.s, the location for the north of Wangfujing is not the CHURCH,named' cathedral',it is for Catholicism i remember...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... Edith, cathedral is simply a Catholic Church with lots of history ...

Oh, and my apology to Angela, what was I thinking? The church near Chao Yang Park is indeed a Catholic church ...
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Ouch, I did not know, there all churches to me!
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Catholic Churches/Cathedrals/whatever would still fall under the umbrella of "Christian Church" right? Are there that many denominations in play here in China? Just curious
  • Escade
    Escade wrote:
    @Dingdang:thks...
    but from my thought, the 'Cathedral & Abbey' are for the Catholicism,the 'church' is for the Christianism...
    maybe i'm wrong...
  • Z
    Z wrote:
    The church in Wangfujing does have a mass, mornings 0700 am.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

No Jon ... though I dont agree with with the fact that there is a lot of differences between Christians (in Chinese 基督徒, the more correct term should be Protestants) and Catholic, the fact is that there is ... I am a RC myself but I failed miserably in Religious Studies and Western History, so I am afraid I might not be the best person to explain anything here, hahahaha ... I google-d and found MANY pages, this was the first one on the list:

http://www.gotquestions.org/difference-Catholic-Protestant.html
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Edith, I am afraid you are ... the term "church" is common to both Protestants and Catholic ...
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    From what I know,

Christians include Catholics, Orthodox christians and Protestants
    Catholics and Orthodox have churches
    Protestants have temples

That's what I knew ;-)
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    I'll read up on it some time, although it's low on my priorities list. I thought Catholicism was just another denomination of Christianity. Anyways, I guess this really isn't the place to discuss this.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Saibo, always 48 seconds ahead of me. That's uncanny you know?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Saibo is correct ... but the Chinese term for "Christian" is 基督徒, and that usually does not include Catholics ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Jon might be right, being China and all that, we are indeed threading a very thin line here, the big bro is watching over ...
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Aaaaahhhhhh! I get it now! hahaha!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... and that's one example why the two languages, English and Chinese, could and should never maintain a "balance" ...
  • Børge Notkevich
    The four primary divisions of Christianity are Roman Catholicism, the Orthodox church, Anglican, and Protestantism. They all believe in one god, it's just the scripts that divides them. Catholics, Orthodox and Protestants each define separate lists of Books of the Bible that each considers canonical.

church is a place where religious services take place
    chapel is basically a smaller place for religious services
    cathedral is the principal church of a bishop's diocese which contains an episcopal throne

abbey is quite different though
    It is a monastery or society of people, secluded from the world and devoted to religion and celibacy, which is headed by an abbot; also, the monastic building or buildings.

And lastly, I don't believe fully in any religion, but more of history and facts.
  • Escade
    Escade wrote:
    Haha...we should creat a new thread named' What's the different between Catholicism & Christianism?"...guess can learn a lots of knowledge & culture..

Angela,would u tell us something abt that?...
  • Børge Notkevich
    I'm only all this up on the net as well, but here goes for anyone who is interested:

• Catholics are Christians which is a generic name for all monotheistic faiths based on the belief and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. The earliest use of the term outside the Bible was by the Romans in AD64.
    • The American Heritage Dictionary defines a Christian as "one who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or lives the lifestyle based on the life and teachings of Jesus; one who lives according to the teachings of Jesus." Therefore, Catholics are the original Christians.

• The basic beliefs of all Christians are generally regarded as:-
    1.That Jesus Christ was the Son of God
    2.That Jesus gave his life on the Cross and was raised from the dead.
    3.That Jesus was the Messiah promised in the Old Testament
    4.That Jesus sent his son to earth to save it from it's sins.
    • One classification of Christianity divides it up into
    • Catholic
    • Protestant (Anglican, Evangelical, Baptist, Pentecostal, Lutheran, Presbyterian etc)
    • Eastern (Orthodox)
    • Non Trinitarian (Jehovah's Witness, Later Day Saint etc)

Catholics are Christians. Catholic are, in fact, the original Christians and the ONLY Christians for the 1st 1000 years of Christianity. It is through The Catholic Church, herself, that we Christians received the Canon of The Bible.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Thanks for saving me the 15 seconds it would have taken to google it myself :)

I always wondered how Christians choose their particular flavor of the religion. I know in the west most people just adopt it from their family, but here, it's more of a choice. How does an aspiring Christian decide which denomination is the right one? If I were gonna become a Christian, I'd be non-denominational but I won't so I guess the point I just made is irrelevant. Why am I even posting right now?
  • Børge Notkevich
    No worries.

No idea how things work in China. Though in western countries, most families only baptise their children and let them make the decision to be confirmed or not.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    I wasn't given a choice to be confirmed. I did get to pick my confirmation name, though. At the time, I really liked Star Wars. Luke it was.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.