Discussion » All non BJ languages » Let's talk about English schools

• Riva
    Riva wrote:
    Have you ever learned English at New oriental, Wallstreet, EF, etc...?

How much the class costed you? Worthy?

I'm thinking about improving my English at the new oriental elite english school, my lessons'd cost 12000 yuan, for 8 months, and I could get the professional 8 level from CET 6.

Still hesitating, too expensive.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Never been to ... but I think it is a rip-off ...
  • wrote:

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

• wrote:
    Money talks.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I'd go for private tutoring with a qualified professional: cheaper than paying the agency fee and whatnot.

Same quality, considering the Wall Street/New Oriental teachers moonlight on the side as tutors.
  • Candy Q
    Candy Q wrote:
    yeah, all those places are overpriced and overrated...

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Would agree with the above. I also worked for EF in the UK(and currently wearing their t-shirt, as it happens! It's comfortable and blue) and I wouldn't recommend them as a company.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

• SaSa♣Yi
    SaSa♣Yi wrote:
    global ielts...
  • Børge Notkevich
    My friend is teaching at New Oriental and I was planning to do the same.
    The classes are pretty good, interesting topics and everyone gets involved. Though the classes are mixed with students of all levels, just make sure your confident and speak out as much as you can.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    New Oriental and New power are both worth it if the classes are small. I know because I teach at both schools. A private teacher is also worth it. It also depends on what type of teacher you get at New Oriental because some of the teachers who teach in Beijing are douche bags who do not take their classes seriously. However most of them are ok. You should sit in the class you want to take a couple times before you enroll for sure. It sounds like you are pretty serious about improving your English.

I actually do private tutoring if you are interested and just because you said you that you don't think a private tutor can provide you with a good enough English education I could make your class so full of useful information that you would probably ask me to stop teaching so much and relax a little. Actually I teach TOEFL and IELTS at Beiwai and have taught at New Oriental until I left for my own reasons, but I also teach at New Power, some high schools outside of Beijing, Juren, Better English, and Elite English. All of my TOEFL and IELTS students have passed their tests and are on their way to foreign universities.

By the way the CET is shit. There are mistakes on the test and the material people study for the test sometimes contains Chenglish. It is like the United States developing a Chinese test for testing Chinese fluency in the United States haha! I doubt it could be done accurately with up to date information.

Also the quality of the class is up to you. You cannot just attend a class and expect to magically get better at English. It takes hours of self study and motivation in order to improve you English in a country where you will use Chinese everyday instead of English. If you are willing and prepared to do what it takes to accomplish your goals then it will be worth it, however if you just want to go to class and then forget what you learned after you go home then do not spend the money. This is my professional opinion.

I wish you good luck. Believe in yourself and you will be able to do it. : )

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    12,000 is relatively cheap if you can go to class every night and it is taught by a professional foreign teacher or a very good Chinese teacher who studied English as a major. How many times can you attend in one week?
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Oh I see you can go to three classes a week plus a tutor every day. I think that is totally worth it if it is for 8 months.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Jeffrey, the answer for your Q1 varies from people to peolple ... and for your Q2, it's a culture thing, e.g. when I first came here, I had been asked many, many times to speak in Chinese, even though my Chinese is really terrible ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.