Discussion » Film & TV » nobody say something about OSCAR?

• Calli Joo
    Calli Joo wrote:
    Where are you hiding....
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    Oscar as in the name of a person or The Oscars?
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

the "best picture" is a joke, that's all

• Calli Joo
    Calli Joo wrote:
    oh....the Oscars 2010. thanks for reminding Fillipus
  • Calli Joo
    Calli Joo wrote:
    really? 

Haven't seen it. somebody told me Up in the Air is great and Fantastic Mr Fox (Wes Anderson) is great...
  • Fahad Hashmi
    Fahad Hashmi wrote:
    Hurt locker “best motion picture ”. . . Wtf....???
  • Fazio
    Fazio wrote:
    HURT LOCKER is the final winner
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... yes George had done well in both "Up in the Air" and "Fantastic Mr Fox" ...
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

I mean the fact that "The Hurt Locker" beated "Avatar" in best picture competition is a joke~

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

I mean the fact that "The Hurt Locker" beated "Avatar" in best picture competition is a joke~

• Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    @DD: yea UP in the air .... and fancy Missis fox ....

*giggle*
  • Calli Joo
    Calli Joo wrote:
    I just can't understand why do people (and dafan and Fahad maybe?) love Avatar so much~~~
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    邓丽君儿 看看这个
    http://www.weliveinbeijing.com/discussion/thread.rails?Tid=1000001997
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... 鄧麗君.... Avatar is just a hype ...

B ... what are you giggling about?
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    I thought that name i changed pretty good !
  • Fahad Hashmi
    Fahad Hashmi wrote:
    Inglorious bastards,Avatar and Up in the air , are much way better then "hurt locker".
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

I dont think you can draw the conclusion that "I love Avatar so much" from what I said. "I just can't understand why do people think Avatar is better than The Hurt Locker", this sentence will make sence:P

• Jon Magnus Ro
    Jon Magnus Ro wrote:
    did anyone actually watch the hurt locker?
    i feel so out of the media loop because i didnt hear about it
    until i watched the oscars this morning...
    and i don't think avatar should have gotten best picture...
    it was a good film but the story line was really weak and unoriginal.
    it did however deserve its other two awards.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I watched "The Hurt Locker."

I thought it was decent (suspenseful, tight and economical screenplay), but not really worth six Academy Awards.

But heaping praise on more arty, independent flicks has been the trend since "Crash" took the top spot in 2006.

The shift in focus from big studio films to indies is also why many celebs have boycotted attending the ceremony, as well as why the Academy increased the nominees for Best Picture to 10 from 5 this year.

My opinion? Best Picture should have gone to "Inglorious Basterds." But at least Christoph Waltz took Best Supporting Actor. And cheers to Jeff Bridges for (very deservingly) landing his first Best Actor award.
  • Fahad Hashmi
    Fahad Hashmi wrote:
    I agree with Pete.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Inglorious Basterd is awesome. My opinion? The Hurt Locker embeds too much narrow minded ideology. Of coz, Avatar is trying to tell people sth, but it's more like an autocriticism of the human being.

• Fahad Hashmi
    Fahad Hashmi wrote:
    Inglorious Basterd's screenplay is far better then Hurt Locker.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Yeah. "Basterds" was a masterpiece. Too bad.

But can you elaborate, Da Fan, on what you mean by "narrow minded ideology?"

Aside from the tried and true theme of "war is hell," I didn't pick up on any geopolitical commentary about the war or anything like that.

I could be wrong, but I don't feel like sitting through it again to find out.
  • Calli Joo
    Calli Joo wrote:
    Sorry for my "stupid" speech before up so...many stairs . But dafan what you said up so...many stairs just made me feel that. That exerts a general rule that females are emotional and males are rational.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Oh, never mind, I should learn to be more emotional, it's not bad actually, hehe:)

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Errr...Pete, maybe I used a wrong word. What I wanna say is that the war as a whole is "Inglorious", so trival emotions and stories in it may be of good deed or some, but they are still "Inglorious"...

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Ah... gotcha.
  • Albulena Imeri
    Overrated.
  • Charlotte Storebø
    I first saw The Hurt Locker on it's release day in the UK back in August 2009 and I remember it being tipped for the Oscar then. I'm really happy that it won best picture - I think it's a superb film and can be regarded as one of cinema's great war movies. I'm equally happy Avatar didn't win - whilst visually incredible, it was still style over substance for me.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I'm still unsure as to why "The Hurt Locker" is so highly regarded. It's a great film -- I gave it an 8/10 on IMDB - but why numerous critics have deemed it "near perfect" is beyond me.

What's it trying to say? Maybe its strength is that it's not trying to say anything at all and in doing so, diverges from the moralistic takes and judgements on the conflict that so many other filmmakers ("Lions for Lambs," Farenheit 911," "In the Valley of Elah," "Paradise Now") have inserted into their films on Global War on Terror.

I really thought that Tarentino should have walked away with Best Original Screenplay, if not Best Picture.
  • Notoro Kawabata
    very proud that a movie from Argentina won best foreign picture over "White Ribbon", (take that Haneke!). After 20 years the Oscar came back to Argentina, so good.
  • Joakim Lund Rangel
    Did Inglorious Basterds win anything? Its definitely one of the best movies in 2009.

Avatar did not deserve any Oscars. Cameron could make a Titanic 2 and still be seen as a genius..its a shame
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Christopher Waltz won Best Supporting Actor for his role as Col. Hans Linda: you know, the charismatic Nazi who spoke four languages. Well-deserved. After I finished watching it, I knew immediately that he'd demolish the competition.

"Avatar" certainly deserved the technical awards, like best Best Cinematography, Art Direction and Visual Effects because, let's face it, it was a groundbreaking piece of cinema.

Back to "The Hurt Locker," I think that it's a clear case of Academy incestuousness. In addition to winning the aforementioned awards, it also took Best Achievement in Sound Mixing, Best Achievement in Sound Mixing and Best Achievement in Editing.

Really?

Come on! While I can't think of any off the top of my head, I imagine a few other flicks had sound effects worthy of praise.

And Notoro, speaking of Haneke, we watched his "Funny Games" recently. What a disturbing, mean-spirited movie. And why he decided to remake it ten years later, frame by frame, is beyond my comprehension.
  • Joakim Lund Rangel
    Pete said:
    ""Avatar" certainly deserved the technical awards, like best Best Cinematography, Art Direction and Visual Effects because, let's face it, it was a groundbreaking piece of cinema. "

Its sometimes so hard to dispute the "truths". But, let`s really face it, its just 3-D effects, A LOT of it. It does`nt make it any more unique and great. The marketing budget used to build up this hype must be the only groundbreaking factor in this movie project.

Just wait for the next "groundbreaking" movie, we will be blown away of a movie that is using "smell effects" in the movie theater. (used first time at least 50 years ago). But the indubitably fact is that a bad movie is a bad movie no matter what effects is used.

Back to the basics Cameron, your ship is sinking.

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Well, Cameron did invent an entirely new camera to film this movie, which I certainly think is worthy of praise and respect, if not an armful of dickless golden statues.

And while we can dispute "Avatar" all night ("The story sucked! 3-D? Big deal!") the fact remains that Cameron opened the door to the 3-D industry, paving the way for new concepts and proving that the platform can -- and will be -- not only profitable, but an integral part of film-making in the future.

And by the way, I'm not a big fan of the movie.
  • Joakim Lund Rangel
    u are slightly right, but I wont admit it
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Thanks Mr. Rangel.

But you should edit your statement to read, "You are 100% right and always are. Come to think of it, I shouldn't have disagreed with you to begin with!"
  • Joakim Lund Rangel
    haha, f*ck off. you are still 99% w-r-o-n-g. I said -SLIGHTLY-. And i`m still not admitting your 1%
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Help! I'm being oppressed!
  • Charlotte Storebø
    Pete on Hurt Locker: ''What's it trying to say? Maybe its strength is that it's not trying to say anything at all and in doing so, diverges from the moralistic takes and judgements on the conflict that so many other filmmakers ("Lions for Lambs," Farenheit 911," "In the Valley of Elah," "Paradise Now") have inserted into their films on Global War on Terror.''

That's how I interpreted it, and it's one of the main reasons I enjoyed the movie so much. There were no broad political brush strokes or moral stances in the movie . It felt very small, unbiased and intimate for a war film, and the right and wrongs of the conflict itself was irrelevant. It wasn't about the war itself, but about the conditions bomb techs have to work under and how they cope. One of my favourite war movies, for sure.

• Vicky Mohieddeen
    I think we can safely say that the omission of The White Ribbon and A Prophet from the Best Picture list - and the usual blanket ignorance of non-American films - the Oscars are not about to be overrun by high quality art house films. Hurt Locker was a way of the Academy finally recognising a woman without threatening the "boy's club" too much. Women - please take note, you are allowed to play but only if you play our game.
  • Mohammed Abdi
    Mohammed Abdi wrote:
    there's always overreading about these award winnings.
    hurt locker is a good one after all, my opinion
  • Shukri Olad
    Shukri Olad wrote:
    saying what?that “China’s Unnatural Disaster: The Tears of Sichuan Province"has been nominated Oscar nominees but nobody knows the news here in China due to the gov.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Just had a hard time getting over some of Hurt Locker's inconsistencies. I know it's just a movie, but the stuff the protagonist was doing were mostly court martiallable behaviors, no? And how the hell did an insurgent with a freaking AK-47 no less, one of the least accurate of all assault rifles, manage to take out two or three guys at long range when the supposedly highly trained soldiers couldn't even hit them with a Barrett 50 cal? Makes no sense!

Otherwise, great movie, I did enjoy it quite a bit. The story was far more interesting and original than the glorified 3D version of Pocahontas that was Avatar

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.