Discussion » Nonsense » Why people always say Hello when they are receivin

• BIRIMA
    BIRIMA wrote:
    Why people always say Hello when they are receiving a phone call? why not other injections?
  • Fazio
    Fazio wrote:
    Why not?
  • Calli Joo
    Calli Joo wrote:
    yep I feel I need some special ways to greet each other and then ... talk about something directly.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    It's more polite than answering the phone with "start speaking!"
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... with the "invention" of "caller ID", I had cut down on using "hello" ... if it is my family (wife, mother, sister), I will do something funny like "mu-shi-mu-shi" or "I am not here right now, please leave a message after a beeb", or if I am in a bad mood "what do you want" ...

Now about the "why" ... it is simply that most of us are trained to do that ... for Chinese, we normally say "喂"... and as I said, "mu-shi-mu-shi" (hahaha ... if anyone knows Japanese, please feel free to correct me on the pronunciation) is actually the Japanese way ... each language and culture has something different ...
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Yeah, can't those people just say "fuck you dirty bastard" when they answer the phone, that would be so much better.

It's social convention, almost every interaction with other people starts by saying "hello" to each other
  • Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:
    叮噹叔叔:

Moshi moshi ;)
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    and if represented in pinyin, for someone who doesn't know romaji (Japanese version of pinyin), it's "mouxi mouxi"
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    @blacky : huh ???? so weird topic ?
    "OhBa ohBa ! or hey whats up? !morning ?! wai wai ?! moxi moxi! hey Kao en ni qi wa, ge men sha shier ! Nin hao !""" who says just only say hello ?!! ??? ;O
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    my version: "嘛?"
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    oh oh yes Da fan ! sometimes i said "gan ma ?" when i receipting call
  • Marte Joahansen
    Don't forget "Hello" is English..except u would want ur' own invention for the replacement of that word to which "Hi" ought to be a reply..which puts conversation
    in progress automatically.
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    anyway i think just feel free to pick up the phone ... er..... wu yu zhong !!! ⊙﹏⊙b汗!!!!
  • Fahad Hashmi
    Fahad Hashmi wrote:
    i use to say " wei,ni hao''. :P
  • Colin Friedman
    When I was a child I taught to answer the phone with:

Good Morning / Afternoon / Evening

This is 234 7890 (ie the phone number)

Who's speaking please.

• Renate Pedersen
    i said ' 谁? 嘛事儿?‘
  • NN
    NN wrote:
    when in the office & before 12am,I will always pick up the phone and say Morning C*** (the company's name)

when is already noon time,just pick up and say "C***:

when is the personal phone rings,normally is WEI,but if is someone we are super familiar with,always say 幹嘛/蝦米/怎樣
  • Sasha 莎莎 Wang
    I think it depends on who's calling, if someone I really don't like calls I'll probably just "What?" them.
    my usual responses are "hi!" "wussup guuuurrrll" or I yell their name really loud.
  • Hans Christian Eriksson
    Shasha, before knowing the one who calls u firs u always may say hi, hello, or wei? but why these?
  • Nadia Scheie
    Nadia Scheie wrote:
    ......I always say NIN HAO~ but its also hello,just in chinese way~
  • Rebecca Arnesen
    using words relevent to the context is a good move really. Otherwise we'd just be talking shit all the time...

brrrrring, brrrrring. burrrring, bur - click. "Dried fecal matter?"

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.