Discussion » Health & Fitness » Depression

• D-
    D- wrote:
    Who has experienced Depression? How do you guys handle it?
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    me sex is the answer
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Yes. It's difficult. Sometimes it almost feels like there is nothing you can do to pull yourself out. Spring time is the worst. Everything is nice, beautiful, the weather is warm, sky is blue... and your world is still a steaming pile of shit. At least in winter everything else is as dark as you are.

If you want to talk, send me a message. I'm not an expert or a psychologist, but I've been on the fucking brink before and managed to pull back out.
  • Albulena Imeri
    I heard some stories from the Drepssion days in the States, not too different from the hardship stories elsewhere. But I expect some stagflation (close to a depression) in many countries from now on. So far, Iceland, Dubai and Greece.

Curious kids, hardship is coming to a country near you! lol
  • Albulena Imeri
    Besides music, things like a good set of skills, decent personal financial management and etc can also help.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Guys, could we please try to keep it serious here? It's a bit of a sensitive topic, and anyone who reaches out and says "I'm depressed" is taking a big leap and reaching a hand out.

@D-, See how long it lasts. If it's just a seasonal depression, try your best to get through these next couple of months. If you experience those feelings long-term and consistently for several months then the problem is different.

You said you don't feel like you have a particular reason that you feel down, you are just anxious and worried. Nothing keeps you interested right?

What are some of the things that you used to enjoy doing? Any hobbies that you stopped doing because you feel too far down now?

Whatever you do... stay active. It's hard to do when you are having a hard time focusing and even getting out of bed, but try to set up schedules, even for the routine and everyday tasks in your life. If you have friends you enjoy seeing who bring a positive environment with them, see them frequently and make sure they keep track of you.

Good music helps too :) My taste is so completely different than yours though, when I listen to dark music it makes me happy for some reason.
  • Albulena Imeri
    oops, I thought u were talking abt economics.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

1. My sister has this condition ... and she has been taking medicine for it ... it seems to help, but the side effect is causing her metabolism to go crazy and sheis always eating ...

2. My sister-in-law also has this condition ... not sure if she is taking any med now, but she is very vulnerable ... got recruited into a local insurance company in mid 09, was given plenty of support and motivation etc to the point of "brain wash", and that had nearly cost her the marriage (I actually wrote in the forum about this last year) ... currently considering a "motivation" or "ego boosting" course, about 20k yuans ...

I am not a med practioner, but according to what I have read, "depression" is not a one-time thing like a cold ... it needs long-term support from family and friends ... however, every case is different and you might want to find out the cause(s) of your depression, and then try to change it, or if not, at least stay away from it ... such includes work, family (parents, siblings, spouse, even your kids), peer-group pressure etc ...

Also, people with depression are usually vulnerable, so be aware of any of those "ego boosting" course or meds ...
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    I´m agree with John Gu, stay active. The most of the time this feeling is caused for be pasive, pasive in this sense, be used by others, like a tool for their own interests, do and live like others want that you live your life. The most of the time in this current economical system we are pasive, and in the most important ambient, in the job (where we should feel creative and active). In this system we are in the job, how many hours each day? per week? and usually in the job, we are an element more, a part in the machine. Not decision, and sometimes also don´t think. Humans and things are differents.
    Be active is be and do the things that you really feel that you want to do, the things that you decide. Create things (painting, writting....) or create a crazy party night with your real friends or in a simple chat with a friend, without topics, being yourself without social masks, are first steps.

in any case, my english sucks, if you have interest you can look for some books of the psychology, Eric Fromm, he wrote about this, the human in the current society.
  • MoMo
    MoMo wrote:
    anyway good days will come.just accept it~
  • ALK
    ALK wrote:
    It's not as easy to deal with as to say "get used to it...accept it...brighter days on the horizon". It's far more complex. As mentioned above, it's not a one time thing. It's chronic. Feeling emotional or sad from times to times is quite normal and it's actually a necessary part of a person's life.

Personally, I don't like the idea of medication or counseling cause u can easily become addicted and then u'll always depend on sth to go back to normal.
  • ALK
    ALK wrote:
    Ok, I think I wasn't clear enough....I meant that while feeling sad sometimes is normal and expected, feeling depressed is not cause it's sth totally different. That's why it's not as simple as "get used to it".
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Therapy isn't just for crazy people.
  • Siliconfish
    Siliconfish wrote:
    If you are talking about a persistent depression for like more than 3 months...been there done that got the T-shirt. About three years ago something was seriously wrong with my life but I was not able to face it. At that time I was too stupid to see that the consequence is not istant but the damage is ongoing. Fortunately I didn't get the worst result since I got out in time. The issue is never the wrong, but not able to FACE IT. In fact most of the time we are more than capable to solve any problem in our lives simple as that.

The priority is to dig out the root that induces the anxiety ,is it job,family,keeping secret too long,need a change,etc? And then don't stall, solve it by all means. At the same period of time(only speaking on behalf of my experience, take them with caution), except those you can absolutely let down your guard, don't mingle with ppl, you can't handle them ok untill you handle yourself ok trust me; try not overthinking little things; find ways to exhaust yourself physically; appropriate amount of alcohol every two,three days;...Keep yourself physically busy to maintain the mental peace.

if you are really suffering for a quite some time, I suggest you talk to professionals ASAP. But if you have some dark mood occasionally like we all do, then I'm just sharing.lol.

Anyways,things work out, take it easy.
  • Patrick Coleman
    Dear D-

I wish you would step back from that ledge, my friend
    You could cut ties with all the lies, that you've been living in
    And if you do not want to see me again
    I would understand, I would understand

The angry boy, a bit too insane
    Icing over a secret pain
    You know you don't belong

You're the first to fight
    You're way too loud
    You're the flash of light on a burial shroud
    I know something's wrong

Well, everyone I know has got a reason
    To say
    put the past away

Wish you would step back from that ledge, my friend
    You could cut ties with all the lies that you've been living in
    And if you do not want to see me again
    I would understand, I would understand

And well, he's on the table
    And he's gone to code
    And I do not think anyone knows
    What they are doing here

And your friends have left you
    You've been dismissed
    I never thought it would come to this
    And I, I want you to know

Everyone's got to face down the demons
    Maybe today we can put the past away

I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend
    You could cut ties with all the lies
    That you've been living in and if you do not want to see me again
    I would understand, I would understand, I would understand

I would understand
    I would understand

Can you put the past away?
    I would understand

I would understand
    And I would understand

D- ont be a JUMPER , third eye blind
    Take St. John's Wart
  • Xx
    Xx wrote:
    Goodbye my lover~~~
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Still there D-? Sorry, I forgot to check up on you... how are you doing? Feeling any better?
  • Erik Røger
    Erik Røger wrote:
    im sure everybody has felt depressed, if someone ses theyve never felt down theyre probably a liar
  • Amber
    Amber wrote:
    well the way i see it, if u feel depressed , that could probably means u never suffer a real depression.
    in other words, u will never feel it again after u got a real one.
  • Xx
    Xx wrote:
    im depressed now,and im going to sleep and crying for a while
    tomorrow will be another day
  • Amber
    Amber wrote:
    sad sad sad .........i mean why did u write these down? is that what u are here for?
  • Magnus Lønn
    Magnus Lønn wrote:
    I was clinically depressed a few years ago back in Canada. My doctor prescribed some anti-depressants for me, but I did not like taking them.

For me I just looked inwardly and isolated the reasons for my depression. It took a while and a lot of introspection. But I finally narrowed it down to a few different things in my life.

Then came the hardest part. Finding the courage to change those things. And following your heart to where you really want to be in life.

I'm now happier than I've ever been. But those changes were the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.