Discussion » Nonsense » economic issues in the usa

• Jimi
    Jimi wrote:
    The situation back home
  • Åse Marie Strand
    @ Dave and adding to Thorstan's statement:

The U.S. has been in a depression all through the 90s, which is NOW recognized as an economic crisis. Did you grow up in the U.S. and if so, where were you during the 90s???
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    David, officially 22% now? The official numbers were at 10% unemployment last I checked, which I assumed meant at least 20% since I don't think most people file for unemployment. If it's now officially 22% then probably 1/3 or more of Americans are out of work. Sounds like a pretty unsustainable economy!
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    There's a figure that's not included in the official unemployment rate (10%) that counts people who are unemployed but have stopped actively seeking work.

That's where the 22% comes from.

I would offer a link, but I'm too lazy to Google it.
  • Undermoonlight
    When we cannot have social welfare, we blame the government...
    When people do get good social welfare, they become lazy~~another vicious circle of human society...it's just like some sayings in the ancient Chinese philosophy, such as "物极必反" etc...Maybe Desperation is the best "medicine" for stagnation--a state that makes people work hard, thus "pushing the economy forward"~~~Brutality is part of human nature...
  • Åse Marie Strand

The slide into a depression did start in the mid-to-late 90s, but things didn't get bad until after Clinton's presidency. Clinton did proside over a so-called "golden era" and yes, there was a "dot-com bubble" but not everyone was benefiting from that. What I am referring to is the beginning of the depression.

On the East coast, it started with the closing of multiple plants (in Barre, Moulden Mills and Bombardier closed and put thousands of workers out of jobs, including my father). And across Maine and New Hampshire, the closing of Mills puts many out of work as well.

What I am saying is that this was the beginning of the road to the depression. Bush really screwed the pooch and that's why things really escalated (in my opinion). I am sorry if my liberal foodie nonsense offends you.

You wrote:

"The only mild concession I'll make to your point is that the economic crisis has been brewing under the mainstream financial current for decades. People just ignored it."

This is the point I was trying to make, and it is my bad for not further clarifying this in my original post. Just so you know, I am perfectly willing to learn from your conservative mindset (I may be liberal in some respects but am open to different opinions). And, you have educated me in the past on "conspiracy theories." I value your opinion, and your intelligence Thorstan. Perhaps I just need to spend some more time getting educated on your view points.
  • Åse Marie Strand
    Oh Thorstan. I see what you are saying but could we not see this as the beginning of the landslide? Outsourcing trends lead to the loss of jobs, right? So then isn't it plausible that this might have contributed to the unemployment rate and thus the depression?

Thorstan wrote: "In theory, outsourcing and the closing of certain sectors domestically simply opens up new ones. Creative Destruction, anyone?" The key words here are "in theory."

Does the US REALLY function under a free market economy? I would direct you to read some of Vandana Shiva's work on free trade and the right to force dump (as well as the right to force feed). This is a credible source, you can't look up her credentials (and again this is some of that liberal foodie nonsense that I know you love).

Oh and Thorstan, I drive a Honda, and I wouldn't have it any other way (efficient, affordable, they run forever).

• Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Thorstan, don't blame Obama for the car industry buy-out, that nonsense was started by Congress and little Bush before Obama took office. Blame Obama for not trying to put a stop to it though, what a douche-bag. (I know it's all politics, but still...)
    I also had an Accord. Now I live in a city that has public transportation so I don't need to buy a car. Thank jesus I'm white so not having a car doesn't lower my "social status".

Ok sorry I'm going off topic.
    My opinion on social welfare is that everyone (working or not) should be given the minimum they need be able to rent a shared room, cook at home, and maybe buy one set of clothes every couple of years. They should not be watching $100/mo cable tv while complaining "they tuk arr jerbs!".
  • Åse Marie Strand
    Correction to previous post: * you CAN look up her credentials.

I think you mentioned your Accord, which earns you points in my book. I drove my Civic across country and had no problems even with as hard as I was running the engine.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... you guys are rich, dont have a car, not even a bike ...
  • Albulena Imeri
    some special interest groups r making america cry.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    That is why I am in China my friends. I find it very interesting that I came to China to escape economic crisis. I think this should be a eye opener when an American will come to a developing country to find work because the mighty American economy is failing. We should probably bail out the airlines, auto industry, and give some more money to the banks. Oh yeah and increase military presence on foreign soil. I think that will help. FUUUUUUUCK!! If you know what I mean.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.