Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » Why do they ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) wrote:

Just spent a week in Yunnan, visiting the tribal habitats, as well as the rain forest ... it was quite fun, but in another way, very sad or disappointing ...

1. While taking a 3km walk among the rain forest in Banna, noiced a lot of rubbish in the river and on the green ... even when there is a sign not too far, reminding people that rubbish should thrown into the bins ...

2. One of the guys in our group must have a very throat issue or something, cause he took a spit (I called that "kart-too" for the sound) between every 50 meters or so over the 3km walk ... or he must think that the nutrition in his spit would benefit the rain forest ...

3. One thing that had really fascinated me was this guy smoking in the hotel lobby ... there were two ashtrays on the coffee table in front of him, the one closer to him was filled with orange peels or something, and the one further away could not have been another 50cm away ... so due to his mental or physical handicap, he just dropped the cigarette ashes (and then the cigarette bud) onto the floor, not too far from the carpet too actually ...

4. Why do some people like to shake (or vibrate) their lower body when they are sitting? Is this another handicap?

These were just some of the unusual sites I saw over the last week... and oh yeah, these tourists are all local Chinese from different cities and provinces ...

• Sara Elise Fladmark Seland
    Reply to #4... Friend, that's just farting..
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Just remember three more ...

5. Why do people like to push in (or "jump the line")? It is really funny when you stare at them, and they would avoid eye contact with you, like some little kids who just took cookies from the jar, so I can only guess that they know it is wrong, right? Then why do they still do it when they know it is wrong?

Curiously ... does anyone in WLIB consider this as normal? Or do you actually ask those "queue pushers" to line up from the back, in your most friendly tone?

6. When we arrived home, while waiting for the lugguage at Beijing Terminal 2, this particular "woman" (I was going to refer her as "a-yi", and then I realise that she could not have been much older than me) did a "kart-too" around "lugguage area 17" ... yes, you heard me right, she did a "kart-too" right in the middle of an indoor facility ... and then she wont even care to look if anyone had noticed, like it is completely normal behaviour ...

7. While waiting for our flights, a lot of people would merrily eat and drink, and then they would "put" (or "leave") the rubbish under the seats ... either they are worried about someone stealing their seats, or they just believe they have the rights to "put" rubbish onto the floor ...

... I am speechless ...

** reply to Zhaohong ... so you (and everyone else) believe that we should just set a low expectation and accepts that as their norm, and look the other way? or do you condemn that and tried to educate (or remind) them in public?

Many months ago, I had a lengthy discussion in the forum about what is "respect", and all of these "behaviour" is simply about "respect", or the lack of it ... both for the people and for the nature ...

** reply to Bernardo ... if that is the case, the Chinese government should consider using "wind power" to generate electricity, or re-cycle the gas for agricultural activities, because such "farting" seems to be common among Chinese ... hahaha ...

When I was young and did not know anything (well, I still dont know much today, but that's a separate story), I did a lot of such "farting", and my mother often taught me "人摇福薄,树摇叶落" ... or sometimes she would just stare me with her mean-school-teacher look and said one word, "earthquake?" ... hahaha ...

** this one is really a bit long, my excuse is that I am old ... hahaha ... morning to you all too ...
  • Andrew Sunde
    Andrew Sunde wrote:
    叔叔你二么 你不会分析一下 云南很快发展成旅游城市 那么多人 怎么管 你既然去了 必须感受另外一个世界 去旅游还说那么多狗屁话 人家什么样你就看什么样
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    The spitting thing is kind of gross huh. However, if it is done in the forest off of the path then there should be no problem.

@About cutting: I have grabbed people by the shirt and yanked them back before. I think they got my point. I find it very interesting that there is actually a, "Line up day" Are you fucking kidding me? Are we in kindergarten? All it would take is to teach people in kindergarten and elementary to line up and then that problem should be eliminated in society. However, there is always some asshole who believes they belong in the front of the line. I have also found that due to my large size I am rather good at the cut game and if I play it in the subway or at he bus stop I usually win, so if you cannot beat them join them right?

It sucks that people do not care much for the environment. How many trash cans were in the forest? I at least put my trash in my backpack when I am hiking. As for the in the airport, I put my trash in the trash bin, which is a healthy habit to develop. How fast can you develop a country of 1.3 billion plus? Developing habits should be part of the sustainable development of a country right? However, I tend to think that there are many many people who work in the airport cleaning the floor daily and picking up trash. Will this person have much to do if there were no trash on the floor. Kind of like if you did not just throw your 串 on the ground when having snacks in the alley and then they did not get swept into a pile early in the morning by the street sweeper. Where would that man or woman work if there were not this demand for someone to do this work?

"人摇福薄,树摇叶落" I like this haha. If my mom was Chinese she would have probably said this also.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

哈哈... 我只能说我真的很笨,没有把我真正想说的话,说清楚...

我写这个,不是在评论云南这个地方将来会怎么样,而是普遍的指出一些人的"不雅行为"...就从国外近这两星期的一些报道,我们不能否认,中国人的消费能力确实让人惊讶,但要是他们觉得因为他们有钱,他们是去花钱的,就可以在别人的地方随便抛垃圾,吐痰,插队,那么他们的"水平"是否应该稍为调整一下呢?

要是每个人都只考虑到钱,而去默默接受这些行为,那么将来中国会是一个怎么样的国家?

接上面...中国游客很有钱,但国外已经有一些地方说明不欢迎中国游客...要是因为某些人的行为,损害了大多数人去这些地方旅游的机会,是否有需要改变呢?

又,要是我们每个人都接受这些人的行为,或不管他们...他们的下一代肯定也会受到"坏"影响,那么还要多少年,中国才可以把自己的形象改变过来?

说到云南...我的意见是...既然在这些旅游区有这么多垃圾,其实可以多聘请一些清洁工,把地方弄干净,既增加就业人数,也可以把云南做的更好...

所以,要是用一种"阿Q精神"来考虑,某些人的"不雅行为"也许给了这些地方很大的就业机会,呵呵...
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    You know what I don't understand... people on the subway who line up right in front of the door so that you can't exit. I used to sort of walk around them because I thought it was just a few people who did that... Now I just look em in the eye and just walk straight into them and bump them with my chest out of the damned way. I guess I can get away with it since I'm over 100KG.

As far as the butt shaking while sitting... I dunno about everyone else but for me it's just cuz my boxers ran up into my buttcrack and I have to liberate them...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... ** changing to gossip mode ** ...

Jon, are you really 100kg? You dont look that in the mug shot, how do you do it? And if your boxers are giving you trouble, just do one of those Japanese "wrap thing" (dont know the proper name) ...

** end of gossip mode **

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    OMG I only do the bowling pin thing in the subway when I am in a big hurry and I a am tired of walking around idiots standing in the front of the train door haha! i love how they look at me like I am the one who is an idiot. The Intercom actually tells them before the train stops, "Please step aside and allow the passengers to exit the train" Haha, but I guess it is ok because most of the time I can handle the river of people.

Really I feel like the crowds of Chinese people reflect a culture of continuity and fluidity, whereas western cultures seem to attempt to order everything in neat consumable sections. Order is chaos right? I only loose my cool occasionally (and rather mildly) and then I calm my self by thinking of the above idea about why things are the way they are in China.

@As for being 100kg it is not very hard for me with all this delicious food here! I am a whore for Chinese food and I cannot stop eating haha! I have found that hitting the gym and eating Chinese is quite a combination for building strength and mass quickly. With all those carbs and protein it is hard not to gain some weight if one eats more than 4000 calories a day.
  • Serena
    Serena wrote:
    @叮噹叔叔 just enjoy your time
    dont hope we can change those ppl
    haha
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    @Dingdang: I also get your point about changing the habits and how if everyone keeps accepting this behavior then it will only continue. I agree with you 100% You are correct that money and living standards of people do not matter when it comes to how they act in places other than their home. Their respect of public spaces and nature is definitely lacking. Good think they keep them in tight tour groups when they visit Hawaii. I wonder how people from Beijing feel when they visit a place like Toronto or Anchorage Alaska. These are two clean places where I think people would kick some ass if someone disrespects public space and nature. My mom lives in Anchorage and I have seen people get nuts over someone throwing a wrapper on the trail.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    I'm 102kg in the morning, naked, and after taking a shit. I'm about 180cm though so it's not so bad... unfortunately I do have a beer belly and I'll never be able to pull off Asian thin legged pants. Luckily though, I carry most of my weight below my chest (most of my fat is in the legs and ass) so I look a lot less fat than I actually am.

Just signed up for a 30 month gym membership at Nirvana though (that fucking sales girl was so persuasive, I don't know WTF I was thinking) so hopefully I can start turning the fat into more muscle. Ideally, I'd like be around 80kg.

I will admit though that since I got to China I've been getting worse about littering. I throw 串 sticks into the bushes and trees sometimes now too... hell, this is China and someone will come by and pick em up and try to clean them up and resell them, so I'm just helping the second-hand economy right?
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    The problem is exactly that... people don't judge you for it. If more people were judgmental, the attitude would change a lot quicker. Thanks for pointing that out... I'll try to make more of an effort now to show disdain and say something when people do some disgusting stuff.
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    "people don't judge you for it. If more people were judgmental, the attitude would change a lot quicker. "

I totally agree with you, Jon Gu. As a qualified citizen, I feel we should not only control our behaviour in public, such as do not spit, litter around, shout, push other people etc., but also it's our duty to point out other people's misbehaviour in public.

Using a mild and maybe humourous way to tell those people what they do is wrong. I think most of them can accept your suggestion and gradually they will change their habits.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Maybe we can have T-shirt week where everyone goes around wearing a T-Shirt that says "禁止吐痰" hehehe
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Maybe its because I have been here for nearly 5 years, but I find questions like the ones posed here to be so much rhetoric. They just do. Asking why is a waist of time. Just accept it as part of the rich cultural experience of being here.
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    waste of time I mean, no waist..heh heh
  • TonyDice
    TonyDice wrote:
    Have you been in China just the one day, then?
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

why do they? huh? u really mean to get the answer? their father and mother have been in the status of owning nothing and separation for most of their lives, they may just get some money in recent years, and their daughters and sons may work in shit factory set by some multinational giants, gaining quit a little, but still feel happy, and, their current financial condition may be quit instable, so that they need to worry abt it, and lack of social welfare, lack of decent educatiom, and corruption of local authorities, etc. So, let me ask u, why they do? can u tell me the answer? it's a waste of time asking this, the answer is quit obvious. what really matter is what u do? huh? and what's ur suggestion in changing this? huh?

• patrick or 潘云迪
    In humble opinion and judging I havent taken the time to read above replies, therefore maybe being guilty of re-writing something. But I came to the conclussion that people who wiggle their hips are for some reason trying to sit it in rather than go to the toilet. Strange and one may ask how I am privy to such information, but when in irish school I was cursed with a weak bladder and impatient teachers, so, when I could not go to the toilet "becasue the teacher was feeling mean" I was forced to the wriggling hip motion,,,,,
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Never thought one of my threads could get more than 20 replies in half a day ... hahaha ... thanks to you all ...

I like what ZhaoHong said ... 保护环境,从我做起 ... I agree that it is difficult, but not impossible, to teach 1.3 (or 1.4?) billion of people ... we must know that one advantage of China is the number of people, let's imagine if there is actually an LV product that only costs one yuan, and everyone buys one each year ... well, LV would be very happy ... or a more real-life example, was the boycotting of Carrefour (last year?), it only took half a day for the words to be spread on the web, and some cities even sent out bulldozers to block the road or threaten to take down the building, and that is the real power of China, i.e. people ...

My point here, is not to find the answers, because if there is one, I am sure the Chinese government would have done something about it, I am just here to discuss what we could do as a small community ... by the way, I like Jon's idea of the t-shirt, but perhaps with some modification, e.g. "wet t-shirt", hahaha ... because if everyone just accepts these behaviours as the "norm" and/or look the other way round, the behaviours will continue for a few more generations ...

Let's not go too far, and talk about last year when some mainland locals went to visit Taiwan ... if I remember correctly, one guy actually wrote something using a piece of chalk on a rock at a tourist attraction, and that had brought a lot of noises from both China and Taiwan ...

About 3 decades ago, Hong Kong started a campaign called 垃圾虫... roughly translated "rubbish monster" ... the campaign was such that people would be fined (by police, on the spot) if caught littering on the streets ... dont remember the details, but the result was a great success, after about a decade or so ...

It really does not take much, just some proper "people's education" and the power of people ... and then each of us just "chip in" his/her own little bit, the famous saying is "it wont happen over night, but it will happen" ... on the other hand, if we all think that each of us is too small to make a change, or leave someone big or important enough to do it, then nothing will happen ...

To Tony Dice ... were you asking me? I have been in Beijing for just a little over 4 years ...

To Da Fan ... I hope what I said here, had answered your questions or doubts ...

To Jon ... find a honest company that can send you for a one-week tour to Yunnan, make sure the tour includes all the important places, and that each bus trip takes an average of more than 2 hours, I promise you will lose weight ... I did ... hahaha ...

More to Jon ... when you say something when people do some disgusting, you could end up in hospital ... my wife told me that ... hahaha ...

... apology for another lengthy reply ...
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

no, u didn't. my question is: what did u do when u saw these acts so as to make ur tiny contribution? Or…do u consider ur post here is ur contribution?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... I wont call them contribution, but I made sure my voice was heard, even when they did not like it ... and may I ask what you might have done in these situations?
  • MiLo
    MiLo wrote:
    Why?
    Too simple!
    Sometimes naive!
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

sometimes I'll directly tell them not to do this if: 1)I understand why they do this, and 2) i feel that they can understand what I say. If not, I'll write articles using more direct tone on some much more public places. yeah, ur voice is heard…by whom? ppl on this site...and u make ur voice by asking a so obvious question like"why do they?"??? “皇帝!XXX地闹饥荒,人民吃不上糠米啦~”“为什么不让他们吃肉糜呢?”。。。

• MiLo
    MiLo wrote:
    Great Answer for not only why they do but also why he asks
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Da Fan ... glad to know that you are making your own contribution ... in my case, I am not sure where is "much more public places" ... can you tell us?
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

wow, pity to know u asking a simple question again, knowing nothing on why they do this, doing nothing when saw these acts, making voice on a place where ur target ppl barely exist, and being in China for so long a time but still dont know how to get the easiest information~

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... so many "pity" ... and it is also a great pity that I will never have the level of intelligence to solve this by myself ...

To Da Fan ...
    1. as you said, you made your voice heard, may I ask again, where?
    2. also, you said "sometimes I'll directly tell them ..." ... may I ask, why sometimes?
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

question No.1: where ur target ppl may visit. need the linkage? go to ask ur Chinese collegues, or google "论坛" question No.2: read my thread again. "hahahahaha…", "hahahahahahaha…";)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... because you dont know anything about me, so your information is not very helpful at all ... but thanks anyway ...
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Never mind, hope u did, r doing, or u will do some really meaningful things to help changing what WE think is wrong other than just pointing out sth and asking questions with obvious answer~ ^^
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I am a bit lost about what you are trying to say or hint, guess I would never have that level of intelligence to understand it ... but I think "thanks" seems appropriate ... so thanks ... hahahaha ...
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Beginning: "Hahahaha..."
    Text: u r welcome, and keep on learning ;)
    Ending: "hahahaha..."
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Hahahaha...

Da Fan, I'm your fan:)

Hahahaha...
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    no, I'm ur biggest fan, I'll follow u untill u kick me, haa ;)
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    You go to one of the most beautiful and ethnically diverse parts of China for a full week and your insights amount to: Seeing some rubbish, becoming annoyed by a man spitting in the forest, somebody ashing on a carpet and people shaking their legs?!?

Dude, such profundity is wasted on this website, with stuff like this you should become a sociologist or at the very least a travel writer.

(yawn)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... guess I am too difficult to please ... or those people just took all the fun out of traveling ...
  • Marte Joahansen
    the basic truth lies in the fact of everybody not being equal intellectually...and in a case where things as such which could be excusably considered as sheer abnormality or
    random naive acts are not experienced, the 'ecosystem' would suffer relative imbalance...i mean, everybody cannot jst. be educated..it yet saddens my heart when
    scholars partake in activities as such listed above..like the'george owells' animal farm..some animals obviously have to be more equal than the others.
    Not surprisingly, all fingers are not equal..
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... finally something I can understand ...

"everybody not being equal intellectually" ... I dont think that would be completely true, because as you said "scholars partake in activities as such listed above", so even certain intelligent people might behave inappropriately ...

I read from China Daily before, it is somehow related to the "me me me" syndrome, or being too self-centered, hence lacking respect ...
  • Candy Q
    Candy Q wrote:
    There might be groups of uneducated (not academically) and ignorant people in every single country. You just have to accept their existence, at least for now for China. Doesn't matter how much money they have, doesn't matter how many years they've spent in schools, they just lack some sort of COMMON SENSE, or let me put it in another way, they don't see inappropriate things inappropriate, cause it's OK to them. What's more important, their grandparents, their parents, them, their children, their neighbors, everybody's doing the same stuff, they are used to it, they don't see why or how they should change anything, you can't expect them to have the VISION all of a sudden...I mean, forget about other parts, even Beijing, these people exist. I've seen kids peeing in streets so many times... What can you do to the parents or grandparents? nothing...
    Educate(not academically) kids in school, easy.
    Educate(not academically) them, more than tough...
    China's got a long way to go. Sad but true.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

very comprehensive, 糖~

• Minger
    Minger wrote:
    @Dingdang, your posts always bring up good points.
    @ Jon Gu & Kodi, I think of it as my civic duty to play the bowling pin game whenever getting off a bus or subway and people are trying to rush in from the wrong door or won't wait for me to get off. Sure, I could politely wait and maybe ask them to wait until I've disembarked, but knocking everyone out of the way gets the message across immediately to the most people.
    Amazingly, no one's ever tried bumping me back. I guess locals are more cultured than me after all.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Mr Ming, you are too kind to such a pity-ful old man, but thanks ... in my case, I have given up asking a very long time ago, because if you ask politely or too softly, they would usually ignore you, and I dont like to yell, so I see no point to ask ...

• Åse Marie Strand
    To the original poster.

The littering issues are beyond me. I think it is ridiculous for anyone to ash a fucking cigarette (and then butt it out) on the floor 50 cm away from a fucking astray. Same goes for the trash right next to the sign indicating trash cans. I think that some people simply don't give a shit. Don't bother asking why, it is the way they were raised and choose to live.

As for the shaking of the leg statement, I believe this is a nervous habit. I catch myself doing it, and it is always unconscious. I think it happens more so when I am stilling and waiting to get somewhere, waiting for or on someone or for something to just happen; it reflects anxiousness and impatience. I guess I chalk it up to subconscious processes and my natural Sagittarian impatience.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

While reviewing the photos, I remembered this really strange behaviour ...

8. The night we stayed at Banna, we went to watch an on-stage tribal dance and music performance, and there were neon signs in the front (as well as audio announcement) reminding people not to video-type and not to use flash light when taking photos ... but there were still people doing it ...

Though I am not very smart, I dont think we can blame their parents or the education about this, right?
  • Åse Marie Strand
    Don't discount your own intelligence. It just seems to be a clear case of people living within a community that has a complete and utter lack of regard for rules such as these...
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    I'm going to propose something that I don't actually believe, but it seems logical enough so maybe it's just my cultural background that doesn't let me accept it.

Chinese throwing their trash all over the streets, in parks, in forests, in rivers and lakes, is actually significantly better than people in "civilized" countries cleaning up after themselves and throwing their trash in garbage cans.

Why?

In civilized countries, people throw all their trash, maybe including organic compostable items, in trash cans, from where it's generally all ported to one of thousands of landfills, covering thousands and thousands of miles of earth with semi-toxic sludge that will not be any better decomposed by the time our civilizations are gone than it is today. Even the nutrients from organic matter like orange peels and leaves (did you know that some people throw leaves in their garbage cans?) can never be reclaimed, because it's mixed in with all that other toxic sod.
    Although the landfill areas will probably never again be suitable for habitation by any living species (kind of like most of China), and they leak toxins into surrounding areas and ground-water supplies, our garbage is "out of sight, out of mind." We feel better about ourselves because we're putting our trash in the right place, and we're able to continue enjoying a pristine natural environment as long as we live in the fewer and fewer areas of the earth that aren't covered in landfills. As long as we don't see the garbage, we have no incentive to reduce our consumerism, and we produce more and more garbage.
    A lot of the clever Chinese, on the other hand, just throw most of their garbage on the ground no matter where they are. One benefit of this is that the orange peels and sugar cane cud don't get mixed into concentrated toxic sludge, and their nutrients can be absorbed back into the soil [concrete that covers everything]. A more important benefit of this behavior is that they do not create the illusion that they are not polluting the planet, because they can see the garbage everywhere they go. Thus, our clever friends will realize more quickly than civilized foreigners that they are poisoning themselves to death, and they will take steps to reduce consumerism and pollution.
    While civilized countries think think that things are fine because they don't see the garbage (that they produce more of per capita than Chinese do), the Chinese realize that they are surrounded by garbage and stop being so wasteful, thus saving themselves before the whole country is covered by un-salvageable landfills.

I think it makes good sense, right? (If anyone bothered to read this far) <3 China!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... I did bother to read through it ... so afterall, there is an advantage being a "rubbish monster"? It is actually a show of intelligence? Maybe that's why I can never understand it ... I suggest that we take our rubbish from the tidy rubbish bin and start littering ...
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    and yes 莫名, alot clever ppls also may be make the pedlaries change to money ... fucking 牛X

nowadays a lots of ppl that intemperate, do you know how many undeveloped natural resources leave in this world ??.i think u dunno and u only know how to just pressing ur father (chi die quan).... ... ...what the community...??!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    well, @nice ppls i heard some dandyism start their garbage collection and using on some clothes.... i think we can do it also like that.. but i was just wondering how to show on the street by do urself abt the clothes .. i really want to try ... lol
    ~~~~~~~~
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    @Blair,我读得完全不明白。你是不是有些拼写错误?什么是 "chi die quan"?
  • Escade
    Escade wrote:
    i guess 'chi die quan' means ‘'吃贷款’。。。~~~
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    @Mo ming : sry , It was my fault ..type too fast and ignore how to spell....lol
    Chi Die Tuan 吃爹团or 富二代...and yes, i confirm your discernment is very well ! cheers

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.