Discussion » Current Events » Vancouver protests

• Darcy
    Darcy wrote:
    As a Canadian citizen, I am embarrassed by the news that these morons in Vancouver have created by rioting in apparent protest to the Olympics. And to do it behind the veil of black ski masks I find to be a stunning act of cowardice. Does anyone know what these idiots are actually protesting?
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    One man's terrorist is another man's freedom-fighting fashionista demonstrating against the undeserved criminal reputation attached to the wearing of black ski masks.
  • Darcy
    Darcy wrote:
    The term "terrorist" seems to be thrown around recklessly these days. It refers to those performing violent acts with the purpose of demoralizing governments with the hope of forcing political change. Grown menwearing white bedsheets are not deserving of this title, nor are the hooligans in Vancouver kicking over mailboxes. Sorry, my good man, that's not good enough.
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Ah, we had the same thing in 86 during Expo. BC is a breeding ground for liberal, hippy douchebags.
  • Darcy
    Darcy wrote:
    Couldn't agree more.
  • Undermoonlight
    Olympics, WTO, globalization, etc. these things certainly serve the purposes of some people, but in the meantime, also hurt somebody. So in my opinion, don't be judgmental, and poeple have the right to have their vioces heard...however, resorting to terrorism is really a shame...
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    It is a sad thing that people resort to violence in times like these. They deserve to be heard, but why violence? I know there isn't a shortage of things that should be protested in both the states and Canada, but there is no reason to resort to violence. As soon as one resorts to violence they lose all credibility in the face of criticism. That's anybody be it government, individuals, police officer, etc.... Its not that they are simply hippie douche bags it is that they cannot organize effectively and make a positive impact for their cause. I condemn the protests not because people are wrong to protest, but they lost because they failed to get message out peacefully. Too bad for the Canada Olympics.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Well the Olympics is a capitalist machine linked to the richest most inhuman capitalist organizations in the world, so if you condone this type of institutionalized colonialism then there is no reason to protest.
  • Darcy
    Darcy wrote:
    The IOC certainly isn't an organization without fault, but is that what these people are "protesting"?
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Well they are protesting a number of different things. I read some things in the New York times that sites some of the subjects of protest ranging from the displacement of marginalized populations, mistreatment of natives, the fact that IOC is a high profile capitalist symbol of an overtly suppressive system, and some people are just jumping on the band wagon. Homeless, natives, hippie douche bags, and other interest groups are represented in the protests, but they are very poorly organized and for whatever reason some people have resorted to violence, which is not a good thing. Protest is not always bad, but violence is.
  • Darcy
    Darcy wrote:
    I would even go as far as to say protest is never bad. These people, whatever their reason for being pissed off, should be given megaphones and platforms from which to voice their anger. The fact that this step has been bypassed in favor of childish vandalism is the enbarrassing part.
  • Patrick Coleman
    they might be protesting about the safety of the luge track 1 gorgean luger was killed in a practice run, just for your info.

Or maybe the NUKES in IRAN? or maybe the invasion of HAITI by the mighty US of A?
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Nah...it's the same old BC story. "Why are we spending money on something as lavish as the Olympics/Expo when there are so many needy people in the Province?

Fucking hippies. Quarantine them all in the gulf islands where they can eat granola all they like and not contaminate the rest of the gene pool.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.