Discussion » Beijing Life » Would you lie about your age?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) wrote:

While making dinner, I noticed someone's bubble asking for native English speaker to tutor some kids, after all the formalities, the last statement was:

hey, no offence, but i just found someone around my age. but thx for writing to me:-)

... in case anyone might be wondering, this person's age is 22 ...

So my questions

1. ... in a general situation, if a particular position might prefer (perhaps not specified) someone younger, would you lie about your age?

2. ... do you think, in this particular case, would age really have mattered?

3. Does "age discrimination" exist in your home town or home country? And how serious is it?
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    I'm a male gigolo so yeah, it's important to lie about my age. Gotta keep the ladies happy...
  • Candy Q
    Candy Q wrote:
    1.I wouldn't. But I've met ppl that would. For different reasons. and it bothers me.

2. I don't. But many ppl think age matters, which I found pretty dumb. haha

3. It does. But It's not as serious as discrimination, I would say it's more like a stereotype. For example, older means more mature, richer, more experienced...younger means crazy, uneducated, stupid, immature... personally I think the older part is way overrated, the younger part is partially correct but not always. We are living in a world with exception everywhere and that's fun.

I believe it's important to know and understand people as who they really are, has nothing to do with their look or age or nationality.
    Who ppl choose to be is way more important than what they are given.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    1, I won't
    2, tutor kids? maybe
    3, "age discrimination" is not a discrimination
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Of course age matters in a tutoring situation.

Different generations have different teaching styles that reflect the educational system and approach to language acquisition in which they were raised/educated.

Example:

A 50-year-old may use rote memorization while an 18-year-old may tackle the lesson using a more relaxed conversational approach. (I've found this to be true in my own experiences with Chinese tutors, at least.)

Maybe this person believes that a fellow 22-year-old possesses the same approach to language acquisition that they have.

And age discrimination exists in every country.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ...

Pete, there is a Chinese saying, "3 years is one generation gap", and if you consider the history in the past decade, a native Chinese in 50 would be different from a native Chinese in 30 ... even my wife and her sister (age gap = 8 years) have a big gap in terms of opinion and approach ...

• Candy Q
    Candy Q wrote:
    the whole generation gap thing is bullshit.
    I see it as a joke.
    everybody's different. But definitely, age is not what caused it.

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Come on, Candy Q. A generation gap obviously exists.

Without going into too much detail, take a quick look at the attitudes of folks living in say, the 1930s about issues like gender equality, LGBT issues and race relations and compare them to the post-1980s generation.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... of course generation gap exists, just look at the conversations I have against most of you ...

However, what Pete had suggested, is a very big gap ... by the time most post-80 grew up and can voice their own opinion, most people who had ever lived in the 30's might not be here already ...

• Candy Q
    Candy Q wrote:
    clarification:
    the whole "3 years is one generation gap" thing is bullshit.

@ Pete.
    u r right. if ppl live in totally different era, generation gaps exist for sure.
    But not for ppl who live in the similar environment with similar information resources.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Ah, got it. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    i m 10 years older than me and we dont think it's a big deal. :P
  • Amber
    Amber wrote:
    oh u remind me ................i need a higher user rights to amend my birthday.
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    I'm 38 years old. that is all ...
  • Xx
    Xx wrote:
    Im 27,but still look like 17:(
  • Amber
    Amber wrote:
    well done...............i am impressed,
    i look much older than i acturally am.
  • Joakim Lund Rangel
    I`ll be 25 for at least 5 more years.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.