Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » Beijing Language&Culture University ...students?

• Danielle
    Danielle wrote:
    hello Beijing!
    I have been here studying in BLCU for half a month already,this city is the best city in China to learn language ,i think. :) me,personally,studying translation and interpretation in BLCU for this winter :)

I am posting this because i feel kind of curious that how many students from BLCU are here on weliveinbeijing? as everyday,on my way to BLCU,i see many foreign students in and out of BLCU,plus,want to know some of you if possible.

Happy Chinese Xiao Nian today!
    Dannie
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Are you a foreigner too? What country are you from?

I'm not at BLCU but will be starting school at Tsinghua this fall. Excited...
  • Danielle
    Danielle wrote:
    hello,Jon,i am Chinese !
    Tsing hua...cool.
  • Candy Q
    Candy Q wrote:
    BLCU does training for Chinese for short term? hehe, didn't know.

I'm a BLCUer, Chinese, senior.
    most of BLCUers are not on campus a lot any more~vacation~~
    BLCU recruit about 4,000 Chinese students and about 10,000 foreigners every year, but the number changes all the time~~~

Hope u enjoy your study here ^_^
  • Danielle
    Danielle wrote:
    wow!thanks Candy!
    more foreigners than local chinese students? thats new to me.
    actually it is not course from BLCU,it's TIIT in beijing,but we use its classroom .
    happy new year to you .
  • Candy Q
    Candy Q wrote:
    @Danielle
    no problem~
    let me know if u need any help staying here~~~
    thx, have fun~
  • Shane
    Shane wrote:
    LoL... well BLCU may be the best school to learn English, it is by far not the best place to study chinese.

Students at BLCU are too motivated to learn english, I think chinese is best studied by living by yourself, away from campus, eating lots of rouchuan and having fun.
  • Shane
    Shane wrote:
    Well, restate that:

The asians are really motivated to learn english, and the westerners are really motivated to party :)
  • Danielle
    Danielle wrote:
    @Candy,thanks! life here has been good so far .
    I will miss it when i get back to Dalian.
  • Danielle
    Danielle wrote:
    @ Shane
    you are right about that fact actually.
    at least it is true in the city where i live now,lots of students are living for parties ,and there has always too many parties,ladies night,girls nite,festivals......
    but overall,i think foreigners in bj speak much better Chinese than those i met in other places,almost every one of them talked to me speak good Chinese,that is one thing that impressed me.

cheers
  • Candy Q
    Candy Q wrote:
    @Shane,
    except all the geeks, BLCU is pretty cool~~~lot more fun than the other campuses in China at least....
    the best way of learning Chinese is throwing yourself into some village where nobody speaks English....U'll be so ready in 3 months...haha

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    I don't mean to be snide, but I've met foreign students from BLCU, Tsinghua and Beida, and without question the BLCU students have the worst Chinese of the three schools.
  • Danielle
    Danielle wrote:
    @peter?
    really? then i guess i will have to know some students from beida and tsinghua@
    :)
  • 张一驰
    张一驰 wrote:
    I am planning to do some exchange program in either Tisnghua or BLCU next year.
  • Shane
    Shane wrote:
    Arent u chinese though? Why?
  • Undermoonlight
    Well, restate that:

The asians are really motivated to learn english, and the westerners are really motivated to party :)

----overgeneralization~~~which indicates that most of the Asians you've met are just some low-class "trash" eager to kiss westerners' asses...and most of the westerners you are hanging out with are empty-souled, goalless scumbags (unfortunately, China has become the biggest gathering spot of such kind of persons--another means of colonization? just like 200 years ago, the British shipped prisoners to Australia?) who are willing to "party to death"~~
  • 张一驰
    张一驰 wrote:
    Re Shane:

Yes, I am Chinese citizen. But Im still allowed to go back to study. Tsinghua and My school have this program, so I can participate.

You may think I am nuts or stupid, why in the world I want to go back to my home city to pursue education after 4-5 years study abroad life.

Well, I left China to start high school by myself when I was only 16. I went to America all the way by myself with barly speaking English. My worldview was still in the process of formating. Therefore, I do not know how to appreicate my own culture well. And I am really good at Chinese literacy, I don't want to waste my knowledge on that. Also, you may know that many Chinese college students are suffering cultural shocks after study abroad because they cannot fit in to the society where they grew up. Because of the western mind has change their mentality. There is nothing right or wrong about it. But there is something people should be aware of how to adapt and adjust well.

I want to go back to Beijing to study abroad for a semester is not just simply to have a easy life. In fact, it might be harder. I want to learn and appreciate my own culture from another perspective. I want to get to know China from a foreigners' perspective as well. Communication is the key, if people can understand each other to see things from other's perspective. It is going to help the development of the world a lot.

so, that's why. I hope it makes sense to you.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.