Discussion » Beijing Life » How can the world be saved?

• Smile
    Smile wrote:
    I saw children throw garbage right from car window and the parent have just ignored that "so common" behavior, I saw people spit on everywhere street , plastic bag came back after the Olympic2008(liar liar liar), I saw cars and exhaust gas blocked the city,I saw people are chevying for luxury stuff like crazy, I saw those idiots in Danmark were disputing about who should and would get lesser percenteage of exhaust emission reducing,sucks, what I have seen are bullshit, are shame and hopeless. How to save the globe was not the question to all of us but who will be able to save it, I don't think it would be humanbeing somehow, and do you think?
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    the easiest way to save our planet is to erase ourselves from it. otherwise only god, who made us the way how we are, can make it good again.

one fine day we will have to face the end that we have cause ourselves and if some of our own kind may survive it maybe they will be able to make a slight difference for their children.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... we should always believe that there is a better way than that ...

I think the "me me me" mind set is perhaps the main reason behind this ... once people realise that the "you you you" is a better way to do things, things will start to change, however, the sad part is that, this will only happens in an ideal world ...

• Anders Vålberg
    Maybe the nature of human is doomed to the earth destruction
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    People's minds will need to be changed in order to save the Earth. First we should start teaching people the cosmic perspective as explained by the late Carl Sagan. People need to understand how insignificant humans really are in the whole universal scheme. Humans believe they are far too important ! We have the ability to reason, so we should use this ability to figure out a way to live in harmony with nature. The whole idea that we are here to control nature is false and has been fabricated, so it should probably be toned down somehow.

It is funny how human's always try to control nature by managing "invasive" species and fighting back the wild in order to build cities, however there has never been a species more invasive than ourselves. We should manage ourselves and then figure out what to do from there.

Force people to recycle, force the protection of wild animals and plant species from humans, zero tolerance no litter policy, shoot waste into space, put a cap on the development of cities and start cooperating more on a global scale when it comes to borders, laws, education, employment, and currency. Curb the capitalist power in the world for the sake of saving the Earth. I do not think their riches are worth destroying the Earth for everyone. The development of countries and industry that serves a minority at the top is not worth destroying the planet for the majority.

Why does there need to be such advanced development? Can't we stop here and let everyone catch up? When is enough enough? All the problems on Earth are created by humans. Even the problems of terrorism, Somalian pirates, slavery, violent crime in the United States, genocide, global warming, etc... In my opinion we should start to solve the problem where it began. Start at the beginning.
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    the destructive capablity of our fore-ancesters hasnt been much less since they lernt how to make tools, plan hunting strategies and use fire. that was severy millions of year ago. the only difference they and also those tribes living today with a more nature oriented culture make in destructive capasity compare to nowadays modern civilization is that they are not that widely populated. if there were thousands of homos eretus living on 10 square km like we do today, they might be able to cause as serious problems.

our modern society and civilization is build on imperial competition and uses tempolary imbalancies as economic advantage (human or natural recources) to gain more economical advantages (domain and controll). Karl Marx believed that we could change this ...

Population for sure still remains as a multiplicator for what we do. Reduce the population onto 1% of todays figures and it is still too much for the mother nature.

@Ding Dang
    so my suggestion is to reduce the human population onto only one continent, i.e. Australia and make it an absolute taboo to go elsewhere. If the whole place is wasted, the whole human kind moves on to another continent in comparable size of living ground. This way the earth as one natural unit might be given enough time and space to recover from the damage we cause.
    **** wrote:
    talking,talking,talking again....and again!!!

actually none of you are giving solution but just talking like they did in Copenhaguen(well i do the same...).i'm sorry if i seems a bit harsh but it's simply because i'm so disappointed like you, we all are about the way human treat the earth, wich created human(it's not god or other world's people and all this crap)we were born on this incredible proof of the magic of the universe, i mean think about it what was the worl before the big bang and the creation and all that it's something you can't explain and you never will, meanwhile we are totally forgetting about this magic.
    we take joy of what the Earth give to us and we don't repay her for her kindness.and it's something we will or our children will pay.to make it more easy to understand i'm gonna make a example mixing nature philosophy with today society:"if you have a money tree, to keep it growing you need fertilizer so that's the money will always be produce, but actually we are taking the money from the tree without putting fertilizer so one day it will stop and we will die, amen to that brothers may this day never happen.
    so just everyone take care of the earth as much as you can that's all you can do and your kindness will be repay.

**** wrote:
    WEBSLAVE it's not a bad idea(changing place) but like all idea it cannot be done cause human desire for more, for power,f or having something different than the others, would never agree with your plan and i'm curious what you gonna do with the 99% of the human population that you want to reduce?slaughter them?jail them?ask them to leave the Earth?

come on, you wanna be a mass murderer?
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    dear Alban,

you demostrated an odd theory about money being the fertilizer for a money three (is apple the fertilizer for an apple tree), anyway, doesnt matter.

so, the "solution" your are suggesting is simply to take care of the earth and all the problems might be solved by it one day? What difference does this idea make compare to we are commenly doing already?

If you overlooked my words, I did bring up a radical solution and added a less radical option to it*. And that shows exactly the main problem, what Ding Dang refers as the "me me me"-mind, human beings are a hord of selfish, greedy and unorganized parasites as you point it out in "we don't repay" but takes the right to live (even manifest this right in our civil laws!) on this earth.

Do you know how much damage you cause to the MILF called earth just by being alive on her cost? And how much of it can you significantly reduce by changing your life style? If at all, it must be a damn radical one! How much emission gas and pullution does it take for me to enjoy some bread or rice in the morning for lets say 40 years? Or take a measureable amount of damage (a year) caused by the nation i live in and divide it with its population, and times that with my expected or already spend live time. That is the reality. Of course i have to make it simple for myself and claim not to be any better than other ppl, since i dont want to die and give up what i enjoy in life. But at least i m aware of the situation and it's causes and dont blame it to anything or anyone else which excludes me.

Absolution is not a solution...

ps: no personal offense meant if caused

* I m afraid none of the politicians in Copenhagen ever dare speaking this way!
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    oops, did see your comment on me, well, i wont agree with that myself. But sometimes i m thinking, if there is a button which might erease the entire human kind but remain everything else unharmed (redo via crtl+z) and if i get access to it, how long would i hesitate to push it? Not sure if i will push it at all.

yes, if you want to get it done in a short time span, it would come close to mass murdering which is being seen as a arch crime but interesting to that context is, it is not at all being seen as a crime to encourage population (religious leaders, polititics, economical interests) to cause the problem we have in first place.

to reduce the 99% only takes less then 90 years the fastest if carried out efficiently without activly killing anyone, you just practice birth control (i dont mean abortions!).

in pre-modern time, the population is drastically regulated by wars and deceases, since we found better solutions to avoid these to happen the population is uncontrolled.
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    the planet will survive us humans since it does not need too much to stay a planet. but we wont survive.

but seriously, do you really think there is still a solution to save our Eden for us? even if, we humans do not deserve it! we have caused too much damage, the distinction of too many species and too many garbage in the space ...
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    Thank you Sir, i will be honor to go with you on an extraterrestial trip but in case our home planet goes "down" i dont mind to accompany her till the end. Cause no place is like home.

But seriously, looking at the research studies about global warming and the tendencis shown, we have to stop all industrial activities on earth to archive what you might hoping for. If keeping cattle alone can cause more emission gas then our road traffic worldwide, where are we heading to within the 10 years, where all the nations might have achived the promised reduction of what? 40%?

Due to presentations by Al Gore, a significant changes arouse at the end of the 90's with frightening signals, look what is already happening worldwide. Do we still have another 10 years?!

life goes on anyway.
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    ok, sorry i m sounding such depressive, must be the winter :P

in the end maybe Alban is right, we're just talking and talking. instead lets to something for real, i.e. get drunk with your athermal and have a nice time. in the dark middle age of europe many ppl also believe the end is coming and they started living as if there were no tomorrow, especially nobles, holding feasts and orgies while black death and wars wiped out the countries.

and i will go to a nice girl and tell her "i love you".
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    I agree with you about possible living conditions on other planets, but that does help our problems on earth.
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    yes, I fully agree, the problem is, it is easier said then done. I will be soon facing the need to replace my old car with a new one. According to resposibilities to our envirument, i should go for a hybrid or electric enpowered one, but i guess i still will go for a fuel driven. And i feel bad about it...
  • Black Boy In The Building Tonight
    hahahahaha MARTIN LAWRENCE .. I like that MAN ..
    **** wrote:
    money tree is just e example, it mean if you want to take what earth gives you you have also to take care of it, i don't say i'm for the people who destroy forest but if do you have to create a other one so the CO2 keep existing the best way would be simply to create those ugly lineside forest for materials need and keep the natural beautiful forest untouch.

of course the earth would feel better if the human population is reduce but we can't do that, like you said sickness and war and human mind going wrong is enough for that.

what i mean when i said we have to take care of the earth by ourselves is the best way to avoid situation like copenhagen, if we keep waiting for the others to make the first move then we will never progress cause no one wanna be the first to do that so you must do it on your side hoping that it will eventually drive some responsability in other people mind and push them to take the same step as you.

About the difference well i'll tell you.the difference is that if we keep this idea we will focus on it and stop waisting time trying to find a other way for wich the human mind is not mature and responsible enough to accept.

soon the human will evolve and many of us will realise something, see the world differently and then take bigger step for nature protection but we're not there yet.

In China people think that money will give them the opportunity to be someone to be higher class by buying luxury car and big houses wich pollute the earth, but actually in China and all over the world people who think like that are empty boxes, they create a cover around us but inside they are nothing, you take money , car houses away from them and they are naked cause they did think about filling up their culture knowledge and wisdom wich is the highest level of achievement for human , and the more sensible to nature protection.

in US it is the same, in Europe many are like that, their are the parasites and they need to evolve.

absolution is not a solution, you are right but being responsible is!

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    to your information, the needed CO2 and also CO3 are mainly emissioned by the huge rainforest that cant be "created" by normal mortals. unfortunately, rainforests in brasil and south east asian are shrinking rapidly, mainly cut down to produce timber and partly burnt down to by indios to have more farm land. There are more scientific methodes how to keep the ballance between the industrial need for wood and the natural growth of forests.

it all makes sense what you are saying, doesnt we all say that everyday? but still it doesnt make a difference for the practise.

the problem in China is not mainly luxury products but the national industrial production and maintaince for social needs in general. We still depend on coal resources to produce electricity and heat, and also for the vast field of industrial production. compared to that the pollution cause by cars is a joke. And the fact that China has awakened from historical slumber and starts up its own industrial revolution, makes the situation x-times worse. The doesnt have too much to do with the level of personellity of the chinese.

so comming back to being responsible, i in my exsample about replacing my old car with a new one. why dont i change onto an electro car. If you were me, how far would you go to affort the responsibility we are talking about?

ps: even if i sound a little sacastic, no personal offence, i m just discusing.
    **** wrote:
    you see that's your problem you keep putting every idea down! don't you realize that you have to do something?who care if cars are the biggest causes for pollution or not, u said yourself that entreprises,coal and all that are the biggest but actually those are more needed than cars so you can't take out so you have to take out something else and you don't need a big car to be a man, haven't you read what i said.if you just want to keep speaking stupid and cover it up by special reference you just prepare so you can look smart then be my guest go reduce human population!go push the button. it is people like you that speak of a very serious matter, give a stupid idea totally crazy and irrealisable and then put sad idea, end of world bullshit into people mind and!cover it up with some research and undermind any advice given by other people!

read what i said .i'm against people taht cut natural forest ,meanwhile we see many new ugly unatural forest created by men,those forest should be cut and remake and cut and remake like a wood farm so that natural forest won't be touch anymore!.
    you talk about other way wich are not natural its science we have enough of that!

allright i'm more calm now,you really got me angry for a while
    well first you shouldn't change your car if you can still use it and why don't you take public transport, or why don't you buy a small care you just use it to move ur not living there right so if you buy a big car that's mean you just want to show up
    and about that this is what a lot of chinese do, i do agree that the very fast industrialisation of china make the society evolve too fast but the economy is doing very fine about it so the people should also but they don't cause they don't try to evolve their mind only what they can touch and that is bad and that make this problem we are in and it is a problem of personnality but more important it is a problem of education.

if i was you i woul not talk here anymore i would go home and think hard for a while then clean up
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    i m at home, all the time! I work mostly at home! so calm down. i didnt mean to be smart ass and also didnt mean to make you angry, but i did, so i apolozise. I will be more careful with words.

now, i did read what you wrote and answered to points where i dont agree with. We are discusing and everyone has his or her own opinion. I was also trying to provide some information where i thought you didnt know about, judging from what you wrote.

the car thing and the buttom thing seem to have caused a huge problem here, so lets clean those up first.

car. I got my car in 2003 due to the need for work, i have to drive out far onto the countryside around beijing and rely on time. So taxi and there like wasnt relieable enough for my work. I dont fancy big cars, so i got a 1.4 Polo which does what i need perfectly. Now the car is still in good shap but pretty old. I will have to face the need for a replacement very soon. And there is this tax policy for buying new cars. Last year, there was a zero-tax policy for cars under 1.6, this year they raised it to 5% or so, next year they might raise it even more. So i would save some money when selling my old car and buying a new one within this year. That does seem to be that showing off, does it? I looked around, there isnt no proper solution for electro cars, also no way to charge power that would make sense on daily basis. Alternatives like diesel isnt supported in China, so i m feeling bad that i will have to go for another fuel driven car again (maybe a golf 1.6 cuz the polo they build now is a lesser car compare to the version i go and the drive efficience isnt as good as the new golf which wont cause much more emission then a 1.4 Polo). Do you see know what i m talking about now?

Button: I have been concerned about the madness that we human have been causing since my teenage days. And due to what i see and know, to make things short, i lost any hope that it can get any better, for short or long. (have a look on how many species die out each day in the recent years, if you know what the butterfly effect means, i really dont know how one still can stay optimistic). I dont want to act smart. I m serious, this is a very serious situation. I feel bad that because i live and rely on everything that provides me with comfortable living envirunment (i am not a rich guy and dont fancy any fancy stuff that are useless), i am causing all this madness together with everyone else. I have a small flat and dont over use energy in any kind. I even dont go on trips if not nessesary (biz or edu). Anyway, i m sure i lead a very envirunment awaring life style. I do everything not to waste energy (re-use of print paper, re-using plastic bags, refusing plastic wrapping as much as i can, i have reuseable chopsticks in my car in case the restaurent doesnt offer solid ones, and all what one can do as you say) but i m seriously thinking, this is by far and long not enough to solve the problem. Doing all this might make me feel slightly better, cause at least i m doing something. But being realistic, this is like joke compared to what we human are doing! That's why the button thought! That is my point of view.

i really dont agree with a lot what you wrote but in this case, to save your energy, i better be quite. please dont tell me what to do or not to, that is somekind rude.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Stop reproducing at such a quick rate and give the population a chance to balance off and actually start dropping. Stop thinking of Earth in Economic terms and exploiting her for economic gains. Convince people to live within their means and get rid of all wasteful and unnecessary goods. Anyone who does not want to be a part of the new world order to change Earth for the better can be kicked off of Earth hehe.

This radical action would not be moral. I was just offering something up to see what it would look and sound like lol. It sounds just as I thought. Crazy!!!

We need to move slowly and educate people to take different actions from the destructive habits we have developed.
  • Patrick Coleman
    america must be sestroyed!

- album by GWAR

one of my favorite
  • Amanda Lyngesen
    To save Earth.. Our beautiful, natural, wide, planet. Only one solution delete Human race from it, like a parasite we are. Then Earth be saved.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Ctrl + S
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    This is the way the world ends
    Not with a bang but a whimper.

This in the character of Mistah Kurtz, with the voice of Marlon Brando, in Apocalypse Now, is amazing:

We are the hollow men
    We are the stuffed men
    Leaning together
    Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!
    Our dried voices, when
    We whisper together
    Are quiet and meaningless
    As wind in dry grass
    Or rats' feet over broken glass
    In our dry cellar

Shape without form, shade without colour,
    Paralysed force, gesture without motion;

Those who have crossed
    With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
    Remember us -- if at all -- not as lost
    Violent souls, but only
    As the hollow men
    The stuffed men.

Eyes I dare not meet in dreams
    In death's dream kingdom
    These do not appear:
    There, the eyes are
    Sunlight on a broken column
    There, is a tree swinging
    And voices are
    In the wind's singing
    More distant and more solemn
    Than a fading star.

Let me be no nearer
    In death's dream kingdom
    Let me also wear
    Such deliberate disguises
    Rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves
    In a field
    Behaving as the wind behaves
    No nearer --

Not that final meeting
    In the twilight kingdom

This is the dead land
    This is cactus land
    Here the stone images
    Are raised, here they receive
    The supplication of a dead man's hand
    Under the twinkle of a fading star.

Is it like this
    In death's other kingdom
    Waking alone
    At the hour when we are
    Trembling with tenderness
    Lips that would kiss
    Form prayers to broken stone.

The eyes are not here
    There are no eyes here
    In this valley of dying stars
    In this hollow valley
    This broken jaw of our lost kingdoms

In this last of meeting places
    We grope together
    And avoid speech
    Gathered on this beach of the tumid river

Sightless, unless
    The eyes reappear
    As the perpetual star
    Multifoliate rose
    Of death's twilight kingdom
    The hope only
    Of empty men.

Here we go round the prickly pear
    Prickly pear prickly pear
    Here we go round the prickly pear
    At five o'clock in the morning.

Between the idea
    And the reality
    Between the motion
    And the act
    Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

Between the conception
    And the creation
    Between the emotion
    And the response
    Falls the Shadow

Life is very long

Between the desire
    And the spasm
    Between the potency
    And the existence
    Between the essence
    And the descent
    Falls the Shadow

For Thine is the Kingdom

For Thine is
    Life is
    For Thine is the

Not with a bang but a whimper.

(In the Hollow Men by T.S. Eliot)
  • Georg Høst
    Georg Høst wrote:
    ask Wall street
  • Åse Marie Strand
    better yet, let's enlist the help of Team America...
  • MiLo
    MiLo wrote:
    Waiting 2012's coming.
  • Siliconfish
    Siliconfish wrote:
    Collective suicide of human race.
    Overwork all the gods and devils till exhausted.
    May the earth rest in peace.
  • Vera Luo
    Vera Luo wrote:
    people talk too much , but not do it ..

just try our best to do what we can do .
  • Alex Tang
    Alex Tang wrote:
    there is a sentence in chinese :杞人忧天 we can not save the world ,the world save us! understand?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Alex, the world does not save us, though it is "evolving" per our lives, as well as any destructions (and constructions) and pollution etc ... maybe, just maybe, it will evolve into such a way that we can live long and prosper, but until then, we have to assume that something bad will happen ... oh, and that's really the point of insurance too, right? I represent AIA by the way, hahaha ...

Laura, too much Avatar? hahaha ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.