Discussion » Current Events » J.D. Salinger has died

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Taken from the BBC News:

American novelist JD Salinger, author of classic 20th Century book The Catcher in the Rye, has died aged 91.

The reclusive writer died of natural causes at his home in the state of New Hampshire, his son said.

The Catcher In The Rye, first published in 1951, is a tale of teenage angst. It has become one of the most influential American novels of the modern era.

Soon after its publication, Salinger shunned the fame it brought and became a recluse for the rest of his life.

The son of a Jewish businessman and Scots-Irish mother, Jerome David Salinger grew up in Manhattan.

He enjoyed early success in the 1940s with the publication of numerous short stories in magazines, among them the New Yorker.

But he is best known for The Catcher in the Rye, which quickly became a bible of teenage dissent in America and a staple of high school and freshman college English courses.

Almost immediately after Catcher was published, Salinger became disillusioned with the publishing industry.

In 1953, he bought a house at Cornish, New Hampshire, and retreated into seclusion, giving his last and rare interview in 1980
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Thought it worth mentioning: Along with To Kill a Mockingbird, The Catcher in the Rye was one of the books that got me into reading.
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    he certainly weren't no phony....
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Time to crack out Franny and Zooey again as a homage of sorts.

Interesting factoid:

My best friend's ex-girlfriend's family (it's really not that complicated, is it?) were family friends with the Salinger family and visited with them occasionally.

This was a long time ago, but I still thought that link was pretty cool.
  • Chun Chun
    Chun Chun wrote:
    Loved the book The Catcher in the Rye. Read it twice.
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    i had Catcher in English class, never really fully completed the reading but still love this novel. My sister had that before, i still remember her thrilled she was about that when she first mentioned that book on me. Never read a novel ever since school. I still have this one somewhere in Beijing, i should read it again by time. Funny was, cuz i never paid too much attention to certain details in the book, i always thought the story is happening in the 80s! somehow i felt very connected to story due to his close relationship to Phoebe which reminded me to my twin sis a lot. I miss those days ...
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    This was one of the most miserable pieces of assigned reading that i never got through. I did read a good book about teenage angst once, but i can't remember what it was called.
    I'm sure this is of incredible literary value to all readers...
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    another good one is "Beneath the Wheel" by german author Hermann Hesse, it was no fun to read it cuz once you got into the story you get this numb feeling of suffocating and bitterness. But it is a really good book, i like it a lot.

what is the difference between Teenage Anst and Narcism?
  • Iain Bonner
    Iain Bonner wrote:
    i only just discovered his short stories, and love them.

apparently even though he shunned the publishing world, he kept on writing everyday and has all his works that have never seen the outside world ordered in an elaborate filing system.

i wonder if they now will see the light of day...

great writer - he's got the 'knack' as my friend says
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    I am not that into Salinger, especially Catcher. Nine Stories is fine though.
    But I wish his death could shed some lights on his works, if any, during his seclusion for almost 40 years.
    And anyway, this is a harsh winter, Rohmer,Salinger.....
  • Iain Bonner
    Iain Bonner wrote:
    also kept his various wives under house arrest... i would like to know more about this mysterious creature.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.