Discussion » Nonsense » are you friends with your neigbours?

• Winnie
    Winnie wrote:
    i've always wanted my friends to live closer to me so i can take a look at their DVDs, have dinners together, go jogging, go gocery shopping. man, that'd be cool!
    but when i looked around, there are so many ppl around me. upstairs, downstairs, that one guy on the bike i see a lot, that girl i meet often when i go buy vegies.
    why i dont even know their name? if we knew each other, maybe we'd be good friends.
    i think whats taking me back is the uncertainty of their response if i say hi.
    they might think im weird. no body says hi to neigbours since a decade ago.
    then i'd be embassed....
    and of cos, sometimes i just dont think it's necessary...
    what about you guys? made any friends in your community becos you live close?
  • Save Our Planet
    In US, yes. In China, no.

In China, if I say hi, I might get a cold look from men. But women are much warmy.
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    maybe you try "Ni Hao" instead "hi" :)
  • wrote:
    Save Or Planet,

• Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    My Neighbors always call the police because we make too much noice with our music during our house parties.....I guess it was the 10th time last time we are not friends but we always try to say hi but she is not interested..
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    she knows I do want to be friends with her....cos I always greet her whenever I met her...I went to her place 2 time to invite her for my birthday party....she was just concentrating on the fact that we made noice in the past thats why she called the Police but I hope things get right
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    If you want to talk to someone, just do it. The things you don't say are the things you regret the most.
  • wrote:
    Save Our Planet,

I wonder that you are tortured in China by those dishonest people whom you met and you become suspicious and insane.

I said you can 请我和叮当吃饭,顺便也可以邀请有意愿的外国友人,你不缺钱,花点支持消费振兴经济了,哈哈
  • Save Our Planet
    I like to smile to kids. They are cute.

But not so often to grown-ups. Man and woman next door just finished a fight yelling and screaming. I might get a black eye if I show my teeth and smile. Ha ha
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    My neighbour ia a schizophrenic who spends his days picking through the trash and yelling profanity at people who don't exist.

Yeah, I guess we're friends, but he wouldn't be the first person I asked to borrow a book/DVD from.
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Not so much. I like my own space and being on friendly terms with someone who can pop in without any notice isn't so appealing to me.
  • Christian Hansen
    I do not even know how many neighbours I have, it is really weird but all of them seem cold and not open to talk... maybe it is just matter of time.
  • Amalie Nilsen
    Amalie Nilsen wrote:
    well . . . i don't have good relationship with my neighbours,they let me to pay the gas more than them,'cause i always cooking,and i think i don't deserve that,because we're living together,so i'm thinking "we living together,and divide the bill fairly."
    it's really sucks,so i don't talk to them to much.

well anyway,i'm moving to a new place too next month,so just let them . . .
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    yes we are!
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    One of our neighbors at the old WLIB office in Wudaokou didn't like us too much.

While smoking in the hallway one night, he came out in his underwear, waved a cooking knife at us and growled, "No smoking in the hallway!"

Beihang University must be a magnet for schizos. When I lived there, my neighbor was a passive-aggressive fuckwad who would leave threatening notes on my door (spelled incorrectly, ironically enough) and steal bicycles from the female teachers with whom he was smitten.
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    cite:"waved a cooking knife at us and growled NO smoking in the hallway! "
    described so vividly ! I can imagine his action!! hahaha...............
  • Gracie Liu
    Gracie Liu wrote:
    im trying to be nice
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    your tales changed my view about how foreigner-friendlich chn ppl are, bro! :P
  • NN
    NN wrote:
    well,what I know is,if you say hi to your neighbours first,then next time he/she will say hi back to you when you really do not note they are actually around ...
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    My chinese neighbor never replied to my 你好s so I don't try much more now.
    I can have a chat with my french neighbors when I meet them, but don't really want them to be my friends.
    I have a taiwanese neighbor that I talked to coz he plays golf and I was looking for partners to play together. We've never played yet though!

And instead of thinking "what is my neighbor going to think of me if I do this" try thinking "what would I think if my neighbor came to me and said hi, I live next to you, let's go blablabla sometime"? 99% chances are you think the same!
  • NN
    NN wrote:
    Rita you are right,most of taiwanese are really nice and friendly,even is just for neighbours.I really like this,being proud of my hometown culture
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    well i guess the neighbours in TW have been living next to each other for many decades and the neighbourhood hardly change too much. but the urban situation on vast changing Mainland is quite different. You wont go to strangers to borrow some salt unless you are eager to get know them.

where i grow up all neighbours knew each other very well, there has been a time where we even dont have a lock on the door! that was a city long before the mass migration. now all old neighbours rented out their flats and move away and nobody know the neighbour anymore.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.