Discussion » Food & Drink » Starbucks in China

• 李子倩
    李子倩 wrote:
    Is there anyone think Starbucks in China taste like Sh*t?>
    All of their latte taste like they put too much milk in it.
    eg. Caramel Latte /green tea latte. Well if i want to drink milk, why i m going to Starbucks!!!
  • Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:
    I tought everybody knew that Starbuck wasn't good at making coffee...
  • 李子倩
    李子倩 wrote:
    But in New Zealand it is acceptable, at least better than Starbucks in China.
    May be because Chinese don't really drink Coffe,like they don't really drink wine.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    I know exactly what you mean about the Latte. If I am forced to go to Starbucks I usually get a tall Latte with two extra shots because it makes it to where you can taste the coffee. I make them add the espresso first and if you want it to be really good you should order a half Americano in a Venti cup with two shots of espresso and then add milk for the rest. I call that one a super Latte! It is good. I do not think the Barista and coffee bar culture has really caught on here in China yet. There are lots of good cafes, but they have not really learned to improvise with coffee yet. The reality is you can make whatever you want and it does not matter what it says on the menu. I always argue with people at cafes who try to charge me 23 yuan for an Americano and then charge me 25 yuan for one shot of espresso. I try to explain that it is one drink and should be one price. There is no reason to pay 48 yuan for one coffee drink! That is like 6 dollars! Thats more than the employees make per hour! That is pretty crazy. I think Starbucks coffee is not as good as some of the other cafes, but they do have 5 yuan espresso shots hehe.
  • wrote:
    Kodi,
    There is no reason to pay 48 yuan for one coffee drink! That is like 6 dollars!
    ================
    haha, the price of coffee in China is too expensive.
    I drunk sterling Arabic coffee in Tunisia and it costs no more than one dollar.
    I am outdated person. I never visit Starbucks in China because I listened from some guys that the price of a cup of coffee is at least 40 Yuan, I think I am robbed if I drink a cup coffee in Starbucks.
  • Christian Hansen
    Do you know if any Starbucks around Beijing has still available the tourist map they were giving during the Olympics? It was kind of useful and nice
  • 李子倩
    李子倩 wrote:
    Not sure about it, i was not in China at that time.
    Ohhh btw I found the docket they give you following with a survey, and if you do it online, you will get a free drink in starbucks.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Starbucks has donuts now.
  • Peter S 李贝勒
    in Jiao dao kou gong da jie, there are 2 coffee shops 'concertino' and 'the sea'. There u can drink an acceptable coffee for 10rmb, u have the wifi and u can find cool music and movie DVD...
    really better than starbucks
  • Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:
    Starbucks in China? I thought it was StarFucks!

Star Fucks
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... at Viva (East 3rd ring), there is a McCafe opposite to StarBucks, much better coffee ...
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    fuck coffee, what I need is caffeine; fuck cigarette, what I need is nicotine; and fuck wines, what I need is alcohol...
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    so... you need to get over the angry you can try something like jasmine tea or mum
  • Mohammed Abdi
    Mohammed Abdi wrote:
    @李子倩
    how do u get a taste of poop to draw such an analogy in the first place?
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    I like walking on the St. Anger and enjoying the fire in my heart, haha
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    yes sometimes human need them
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    haha! //// and now I become numb to caff...sigh...
    btw, astronomy?? is that what u do? cool
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    it's my hobby too, ha. You r interested in observation or theory? I'm quit interested in theories~
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    did you use the astrocompass ?? ;-D
  • Shaney
    Shaney wrote:
    Just drunk the worst Moka ever at Starbucks yesterday...worse than instant coffee...no exaggeration!
  • Jon Magnus Ro
    Jon Magnus Ro wrote:
    maybe you should buy something that is not a latte?
    its not the best coffee but its starbucks...try ordering something else on the menu...
    or buy a coffee maker :D
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    astrocompass?? what's that?
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    I only ever drink the Frappucino drinks from Starbucks, and the one in China is pretty much the same as in other places in the world.
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:

if i choose from sweetstyle I'll choice bailey coffee its really really sweet....yu ya ya#$%^&*()

DF: see... like this:

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    It is YOU that force me to change my question from "what's that?" to "what the fuck is that?" -_-!!!
  • MiLo
    MiLo wrote:
    山寨了。。
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    O(∩_∩)O哈哈~ score !
  • Hanyang
    Hanyang wrote:
    早晚一天,Starbucks就想流动厕所一般被人们熟知。
    就想麦当劳和KFC一样,只有在上厕所的时候想到他们。
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    upstairs: y i know whats ur mean ......celestial body precession in universe is that right ?
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    sorry Upstairs=Jeffrey
  • Mohammed Abdi
    Mohammed Abdi wrote:
    @Hanyang
    in the first place, starbucks is not a premier place anyway...
  • Thomas Fjeldstad
    i think people who drink Starbucks in general are yuppies
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Yuppy detected.

Starbucks coffee is rarely awful, but the atmosphere is shitty, and they're always full of tourists.

The Bridge Cafe in Wudaokou is tighter than fish pussy. Their coffee is solid, they serve breakfast, they're open 24 hours, and the waitresses can be very pleasant if you're a regular customer.

It's sort of like a bougie Denny's.
  • Valery
    Valery wrote:
    Yuppy has nothing to do with money... it's a lifestyle. And can coffee be a lifestyle?

Anyway, Starbucks is great cause of many reasons:
    Coffee tastes good there. And if I (as a foreigner) feel lost in China, I can get a little bit of western culture, drinking a coffee there.
    Plus the cups are amazing. If you drink AT starbucks, you get a massive cup which let you feel you got something for your money. It's not a tiny glass you have to take care of so it doesn't break. Boy, 20 oz of coffee... it's a good amount of coffee for 21kuai.
    Plus people are really friendly there. Of course they wanna sell you something, that's why they smile 24-7. But at least they smile 24-7.
    Plus they always have something to try. As soon as you sit down, someone comes around with a plate of little cake pieces or a few tiny glasses with green-tea-latte or so.

I love starbucks form time to time.
    And god knows, I'm not a yuppy.
  • MoMo
    MoMo wrote:
    不去一后悔,去了两后悔~就当花钱买教训了~~~~~~
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    Yes. Coffee is a drink. It's a plant, too. What the fuck does that have to do with the price of rice in China?

By your definition, all laowai are yuppies. Really, it's got more to do how one identifies oneself. I think it's got more to do with shallow materialism and a preference for consistency which seems to diminish one's ability to acknowledge that cafes sell more than just coffee.

Call me a poor, ignorant shitheel, but I like to enjoy my caffeine-containing beverages in the presence of people who are not hoarding electrical outlets or shouting into their cell phones.
  • Valery
    Valery wrote:
    Peter,

my bad. I checked it... you're right.

I can't think about beeing disturbed by a shouting mobile man either. Far from it! I always come down a little when I enjoy my coffee at Starbucks, and everyone around me seem to do the same.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    1) You chose it. It's yours now. Really, the sting of yuppiness has more to do with an irritating preference for conformity and consistency, but you had to bring class into it with:

2) "Yuppy is just a word used by poor, jealous people."

3) Delicious trollbait. You must eat it.

4) Sensitive, much? The point is that yuppies and tourists tend to be in more of a hurry than the sort of people who patronize a cafe. It can be hard to get a seat, and the atmosphere isn't great.

Yes. I'm racist against the business people. Wow. You've really opened my eyes. Thanks for your passionate defense of the patrons of Starbucks. Now that I am free of hate, and I can pursue exactly what I want in life.

brb, MBA
  • Hans Petter Bjørgen Hansen
    Success doesn't mean good... all you need for success is to convince enough people to buy your product... and since the vast majority of the people in the world rather follow than think on their own... that's not very hard to do.

Starbucks sucks. period. Their names for cup sizes don't even make sense. If I want coffee, I want either quality coffee (make it myself or go to a real coffee shop), or I'll take the cheap McDonald's coffee just for the convenience and semi-quality.
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    (Almost) all laowai are upper-middle class in Beijing. I'm pretty sure the guy who first used the term wasn't poor. People with money throw that word around to describe people who are ambitious and boring.

As for me, when I'm stateside I'm a proud class warrior. In Beijing, I'll admit I go to slightly more bourgeois places to drink a cup of joe. Context, mate.
    It's a sad thing but true.... Personally I try to avoid products from all of those, except Google which actually provides a quality product (or service) and has some level of morality.

It's quite unfortunate this mindless consumerist world we live in... It's really sad to see how things like McDonalds and the like are marketed as "hip" and "fashionable." Man people rather go and spend 25 kuai on a shitty meal that's not very nutritious, doesn't fill you up, and doesn't taste good, than to pay 10 kuai for a 盖饭 with vegetables, meat, and rice, which apart from tasting amazing leaves you with a nice full stomach...

All it takes is creating an image and convincing the right people (which will in turn convince the rest of the mindless sheeple) and you got yourself success.
    O and Microsoft should be added to the list of shit companies that completely govern the market... yet will continue to do so because of people's fear of change and choice...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.