Discussion » Nonsense » Your Chinese sucks!

• Jon Gu - 顾晓帆
    Jon Gu - 顾晓帆 wrote:
    Hey, I figure why not have a thread like this going... After all there are plenty of foreigners on this site trying to make it in Beijing right?

So my Chinese sucks and hopefully you all can help me with some things that I'm not clear on.

Here's a starter... I was with a female friend the other day and the two of us started talking to a stranger at a pet store. I talked to this girl for a while and then my friend talked to her for a few moments and turned to me and said "这个小妞的皮肤多好啊?" And I was shocked for a moment because I always though 妞 was sort of a dirty word used to put down girls, sort of like "slut" or something, but my friend just said it casually to a complete stranger.

So when is it appropriate to use the word 妞 to refer to a girl? The only usage I know of is 泡妞 which is derogatory as far as I can tell.
  • Jason Huang
    Jason Huang wrote:
    不要对女孩直接说妞就好...你朋友说这句话 尽量也别让人听见就没事... 说女孩为妞 更像是男人之间的用词....
  • Jason Huang
    Jason Huang wrote:
    It's kinda like chick.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Jon, this is a nice start ... by the way, I suggest you contact Miss No Name here to see if you two can help each other ...
  • 李子倩
    李子倩 wrote:
    Hahaha you can try it once with a Chinese girl.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Thanks Jason. No Name... "good shot?" Maybe this is another "my Chinese sucks" sort of thing but what does that even mean?

DD... how about you give me a quick introduction to your friend Ms No Name before shopping me out to her? hahaha
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... truth to be told, I am not worthy to be her friend ...

Like you, I cannot figure out what "good shot" meant, so I thought maybe, just maybe, you could help her ... especially since you helped Lucia before, so why not Miss No Name ... come on, be brave, you dont need someone to introduce, do you?

• Jason Huang
    Jason Huang wrote:
    哈哈 叮当好主意
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    another brilliant Idea now things are more fair for some of us..
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    OK guys, how about a few simple definitions... these are things I haven't found in the dictionary so I don't know exactly how to translate them:

Motorcycle Racer - I want to be able to tell someone "I am a motorcycle racer" in Chinese. I know motorcycle is 摩托车, but how would I say motorcycle racer?

Jealous - How do you use the word? Is it 嫉妒? For example "I am jealous of your new car," "she is jealous of his new girlfriend," or "She is such a jealous person." 嫉妒 works as a Verb I believe, but in English we use jealous as an Adjective. So... can someone help me with proper usage and some example sentences?
  • Jack Xu
    Jack Xu wrote:
    Motorcycle Racer 摩托车手 right?
  • wrote:
    My Chinese sucks.

By the way, 泡妞 is a cool phrase used by many young men and girls like to be 泡ed by handsome and rich guy, if you have a big apparatus, things will be more complicated, and 泡ed becomes 炮ed.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    哈哈哈哈 my Chinese also sucks!
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    thats why u can only only say 哈哈哈哈 Kodi...very funny
  • Fahad Hashmi
    Fahad Hashmi wrote:
    @Jon Gu
    bro can u also write ''pin yin'' coz my Chinese Sucks.... :P
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    @Jack Xu: Motorcycle hand (mo tuo che shou) I think refers just to anyone who rides a motorcycle. I mean specifically someone who races competitively, not just some dude riding a little scooter down the street.

@Fahad: I'll keep that in mind, but visit http://www.pin1yin1.com and paste in any Chinese text you want and it'll give you instant pinyin plus also translations of every word. It is absolutely perfect for me because I can speak a lot more Chinese than I can read or write.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    I have another question... is there a past tense form of "don't know" in Chinese?

I used to say 我没知道 (wo mei zhi dao) because I thought that mei zhi dao implied past-tense where as 不知道 (bu zhi dao) implies present tense.

For example if I go to pay a bill but someone else already paid, they will say, "Hey man, did you know that I already got that?"

And I'll say "I didn't know, but alright, now I do"

In Chinese this would be 你知道我已经付账单了吗?

Now, how would I respond with something along the lines of "I didn't know, but alright, now I do"
  • Ruby Cai
    Ruby Cai wrote:
    @Jon Gu
    “小妞儿(xiao niu-er)" is actually a very local word in beijing, which means young girls. somehow, nowdays it is losing its original meaning and being used as "a special word" on "special people", its shame ah:)
    it depends on WHERE and HOW to use it to show different meanings.In ur case, it jst means young girl IF ur friend is a beijinger :)
    also, it can be sort of dirty word as u thought, eg, in Pub,Club etc..u understand wot am saying here rit :p
    hopefully it can give u some helps to figure it out.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Thanks Ruby. Funny thing, I actually heard the phrase the 1st time when I visited Beijing when I was 11 years old... apparently one of my uncles was being unfaithful to his wife and my mom was talking about how he would 老出去泡妞儿,不干什么正事儿. Ever since then I just associated it with something negative. Now I'm going to use it more frequently and see if I get slapped or something :D
  • Jason Huang
    Jason Huang wrote:
    摩托赛车手
    他这个人 嫉妒心 太强了
    我很 羡慕 你有一个那么漂亮的女朋友
    嫉妒 's probably not a word with positive meaning, so when you want to say i 'm jealous of your car. you may use 羡慕

and I think there 's no explicit tense in Chinese.

When you want to express past-tense , you may take a shot with these words.

刚刚 刚才 本来 原来 那时候 之前

So .. "I didn't know, but alright, now I do"

you might want to say 我刚才不知道,但是没事, 现在我知道了..
  • Jason Huang
    Jason Huang wrote:
    我没知道 maybe you can say 我之前一直不知道。。。

我不知道 might mean you didn't know and you don't know.
  • Fahad Hashmi
    Fahad Hashmi wrote:
    thnx Gu
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Right on Jason, thanks! Perfect explanations, exactly what I needed to know.
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Jason, 多谢你

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.