Discussion » Beijing Life » Fun reads 2010-01-19

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) wrote:

I found two peculiarly "interesting" articles from China Daily today, and I hope that they will bring a smile to you despite the grey matter outside ...

1. Miss Zhao Yan Rong wrote an article in the Metro section, telling the Beijing taxi drivers to "shape up", something about better knowledge of Beijing geography etc ...

As much as I agree with her words and applaud her brilliant use of English, one thing that bugs me is that there is close to zero chance any taxi drivers in Beijing would be reading this article (or the newspaper for that matter) ... or if I am wrong, at most, maybe a handful? ... especially when she wrote it herself that most of them dont know much English to start with ...

And, just to indulge ourselves with Miss Zhao's fantasy and assume that all taxi drives have graduated from prestige institutes such as Yale, Oxford, Cambridge etc, I think they would be more interested to read from a local Chinese newspaper instead of an English one ...

2. After the recent drama of Google Vs China, there is news that China Mobile is banning users from texting ...

If a particular user is using "bad words" in the text message, he/she can be banned from texting ... the news article did not specify what are bad words, but it does not look like they are scanning at the moment ... this is only if the receiver wants to report such incidence ... but my guess is that this is restricted to Chinese text ...

... thoughts?
  • Undermoonlight
    About the banned words...you don't have to guess, they are actually there...but maybe not so convenient to talk about these in public...one point that should be explained is that for most of chinese people, they believe or are educated to believe that all that has been done is good for the development and security of their beloved country, hence for the interest of most of chinese citizens...So, are they stupid? Sometimes, i think Chinese people are too samrt to fight, becuase that means sacrifice--why not just adapt to what they are born with?--after all, what''s significance of life?...Still, ideologies are the most difficult things to deal with...Craps...
  • Undermoonlight
    ...funny things ridiculously happen all the time in China...just like in elsewhere around the world...I'm Chinese--when people talk about those things, i always feel ashamed--they are true, and i'm not gonna deny the facts or repute...but it seems that in such an atmosphere, the dignity of chinese people is in jeopardy...I just wanna ask those foreigners who contemptuously and recklessly point out the backwardness or the ridiculousness of China--would you constantly point out the defects of the host, when being a guest?--i think, there is something called politeness or face-saving, isn't?--maybe, someone will argue that it's out of sincerity...but is that so? it's unnecessary to elaborate for the sake of saving your face, right? Those who look down upon others are often the one who are most frequently looked down upon... Come on~~~
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I thought that was silly ... but that is old news ... heehee ...

I can understand the principle of this "protection" thing, traditional Chinese families does this all the time, but the more protected it is, the more are the protected wanting to try ...

Example:

Back in the 60's and 70's, it was actually not illegal for kids to buy alcohol from supermarket in Hong Kong (and it probably is still the case today) and reports of alcohol abuse among kids or teenagers were rare ...

However, in Australia, under 18 are not allowed to buy alcohol or go into bars, and alcohol abuse is actually quite common ...

That might be worthwhile for the government to consider ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

With "they", what were you referring to?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I can only guess ... for a minute, I feel that we are "retarding" back to the 50's ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Ask thy parents ... or their parents ... I dont want Pete to remove this thread yet ... hahaha ...
  • Martine Solheim
    Has anyone noticed, that we you use the Chinese version of Skype you can't type the word Fuck. It will not send your message and you can not recieve messages containing it either, even spacing it our. F U C K!!!! But this is not a recent thing, I have been trying to swear on skype messages in China for ages!!! No Joy.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Well fuck Skype then, that's what gmail chat is for :P God I hope that when/if Google pulls out of China that we will still be able to use gmail without going through some VPN server or a proxy, like for Facebook...
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    Fuck, that's why everyone seemed to be ignoring me
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I read these two articles from China Daily yesterday, interestingly, they appeared on the same page ... I cannot find any thread in relation to smoking ban in China, nor smoking ban in general (I thought I wrote one?) ... so here goes :)

No ifs or butts for cig ban

By Kerry Xie (China Daily)
    Updated: 2010-05-17 08:16

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/metro/2010-05/17/content_9856606.htm

Indoor smoking rule too heavy

By Todd Balazovic (China Daily)
    Updated: 2010-05-17 08:16

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/metro/2010-05/17/content_9856604.htm

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    I have seen people enjoy texting "bad words" to each other. Some feel put on when the other uses what we can term as bad words. What is the demarcation of "bad words" ? Well, i know the poster might be so concerned about banning "bad words". He might be one of those hahahhaaaa. Good for you bro.

As for Miss Zao or so whatever she is, she is just as ignorant as the people she is addressing.

I take a drink and back to the jungle.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.