Discussion » Current Events » Anger at US builds at Port-au-Prince airport

• wrote:
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5guma2WKnHthswP2UVPiCIuLm_ocQ

Anger at US builds at Port-au-Prince airport

PORT-AU-PRINCE — Anger built Saturday at Haiti's US-controlled main airport, where aid flights were still being turned away and poor coordination continued to hamper the relief effort four days on.

"Let's take over the runway," shouted one voice. "We need to send a message to (US President Barack) Obama," cried another.

Control remained in the hands of US forces, who face criticism for the continued disarray at the overwhelmed airfield.

Dozens of French citizens and dual Haitian-French nationals crowded the airport Saturday seeking to be evacuated after Tuesday's massive 7.0 earthquake, which leveled much of the capital Port-au-Prince.

But at the last minute, a plane due to take them to the French island of Guadeloupe was prevented from landing, leaving them to sleep on the tarmac, waiting for a way out.

"They're repatriating the Americans and not anyone else," said Charles Misteder, 50. "The American monopoly has to end. They are dominating us and not allowing us to return home."

The crowd accused American forces, who were handed control of the airport by Haitian authorities, of monopolizing the airfield's single runway to evacuate their own citizens.

The US embassy denied it was putting the evacuation of the approximately 40,000 to 45,000 American citizens in the country first.

Others waiting for a way out were taken aback by the chaotic scenes confronted them when they arrived at the Toussaint L'Ouverture airport.

"I haven't been able to tell my family that I'm alive. The coordination is a joke," said Wilfried Brevil, a 33-year-old housekeeper.

"I was at the Christopher Hotel," said Daniele Saada, referring to the headquarters of the UN peacekeeping force in Haiti, MINUSTAH.

"I was extremely shaken up. I was pulled out, the others weren't," added Saada, 65, a MINUSTAH employee.

"I decided to return to France. I have nothing and now I am stuck," she said, caught between fury at the chaos and sheer exhaustion.

The disorder even appeared to cause diplomatic ripples, with French Secretary of State for Cooperation Alain Joyandet telling reporters he had lodged a complaint with the United States over its handling of the Port-au-Prince airport.

"I have made an official protest to the Americans through the US embassy," he said at the Haitian airport after a French plane carrying a field hospital was turned away.

A spokesman for the French foreign ministry later denied France had registered protest, saying "Franco-US coordination in emergency aid for Haiti is being handled in the best way possible given the serious difficulties."

The US ambassador to Haiti defended American efforts at the small airport, which was up-and-running 24 hours after the massive quake, even though the air traffic control tower was damaged.

"We're working in coordination with the United Nations and the Haitians," said Ambassador Kenneth Merten, though he acknowledged some difficulties.

"Clearly it's necessary to prioritize the planes. It's clear that there's a problem."

Despite the chaos, a group of French citizens was eventually able to take off on Saturday, and the French plane carrying a field hospital landed safely around noon.

Still, with aid continuing to flood into the quake-stricken country, concern remains about the lack of coordination at the airport, and across devastated Port-au-Prince.

"The Haitians haven't been notified about the arrival of planes. And when they do land, there's no one to take charge and a large amount of goods are arriving without coordination," said Haitian government official Michel Chancy.

On Port-au-Prince's
  • wrote:
    streets, the consequences of the coordination breakdown are clear, as traumatized and starving quake survivors approached passing foreigner and begged them for food.

Copyright © 2010 AFP. All rights reserved
  • TonyDice
    TonyDice wrote:
    Take a day off Sun, you've earned it
  • Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:
    Frenchies pissed off at something...

Nothing new there :P
  • Shane
    Shane wrote:
    Sun,

You are an idiot.

(This is the result of trying to insult you in three different ways, but feeling nothing sufficient, i opted to go for simplicity)
  • wrote:
    Oh, Shane, You moron!
    I understand you very well.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Everyone always finds something to complain about regarding American relief efforts.

Not sure what your intention is in highlighting this story, Sun, but I think that it's absolutely vile to use a horrific natural disaster as an attempt to spark political debate.

You should be ashamed of yourself.
  • wrote:
    You should be ashamed of yourself.
    ========================
    I think those who first used ideology and unsure facts to talked about Google's accusation should be ashamed of themselves. I was forced to do so, I deleted previous comments, but someone still use this matter to broaden the topics and regard Google as lily-white, I have to point out the fact.

As for the earthquake and this story, I have no intention to spark political debate, you do not need to think it is vile.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Thanks for responding, Sun.

But with all due respect, I'm not sure how Google factors into this conversation. It appears that you're trying to steer the discussion away from its intended focus, which is to call you out for politicizing a natural disaster.

While it's a classic move of the Internet fenqing that tends to work on those unsophisticated in pointing out logical fallacies, it's not going to work with me.

Words of advice: 1) Stop the ultra-nationalistic tone; 2) Don't change the subject and 3) Keep an open mind.

In doing so, you probably won't be attacked so much by other members of this community. It must get awfully tiring to defend some of your positions to hostile audiences day after day.
  • wrote:
    Pete,

Thanks.
    haha, your advise is good enough.

'you probably won't be attacked so much by other members of this community.'
    let those morons such as Shane, Toki and other guys just attack me as hard as possible. At least, they will find how weak they are.

1) Stop the ultra-nationalistic tone;
    How do you think about to use ideology or value differences between me and others? Talking about ultra-nationalistic tone, you will find more in Republic of Mongolia, Russia and other countries.

2) Don't change the subject
    I never change the subject when it comes to controversial topics of Google's accusation; but they change the subject and augment the topics into a broader sense such as human rights and freedom of speech. But they show nothing about facts.

3) Keep an open mind
    They should accept your advise too, especially for Toki, who talked about so-called blood of Genghis khan, ridiculous, it is 21st century, forget about those brutal and bloody old history. Discard her prejudice in her heart about China and Chinese, I do not like people in Republic of Mongolia call us 'hujaa'. If I call those guys in Republic of Mongolia barbarian, they will feel offensive too.

I add two advises to all of you
    4) Talk with facts and evidence, no vituperation
    For Toki, no 'idiot' again
    For Shane, no 'moron' again
    For Tony, no 'dim' again
    and others, please pay attention. Up to now, no facts support Google's accusation.

5) Be prepared to have different positions or views, there is no absoluteness.
    If you want to argue with me, you'd better prepare well enough and provide enough facts to supports. Do not attack others to show you are a bitch or son of bitch, it will not prove that you are right. Do not regard those guys with different view as brainwashed and so forth, it only shows that you lack basic understanding of the scenario why these things happened.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Sun ... it's the funny old man talking ... let's talk off site ... thanks ...
  • wrote:
    Ok, but they can not attack me with dirty words, otherwise I will fight back.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

老孙...八个字...清者自清,浊者自浊...

• Albulena Imeri
    @Sun: This article alone is very imbalanced on the haiti issue and I believe most of the American ppl are well-intended.

But I do agree that governments or even many citizens act selfishly sometimes, part of human nature.
  • Albulena Imeri
    Extreme-selfishness sucks BIG time!
  • Rebecca Arnesen
    Though Sun's rigid, stick to the script commentary is almost unfailingly unconvincing, i have to admit vituperation is a pretty fucking cool word, and calling it this will only encourage further vituperating. in fact, I can feel vituperate swelling up inside of me now...can't...hold.... ..it off... much...lon-....C@NTS!!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.