Discussion » Nonsense » Your English Sucks

  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    This Post might be a bit sensitive but it's really helping people....

    so this is what we do,

    we have people posting their comments on the forum everyday but we see so many English grammar errors (not to say that they are obligated to speaking perfect in the forum but just in case they may have not realized the mistake due to some reasons ), so we would then like to ask users/ the fans of the forum on WLIB to copy a certain mistake they have identified, Post it here and provide the correct english version of that mistake.

    I think its not necessary to reference the person who made the mistake, but it is important.

    u can start with any mistake u see in my post..


    thanks..
  • wrote:
    Did you refer to me?
    I do not like to improve your english, because I do not need to speak or write as good as you do. My Chinese is much better than you, that is ok.
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    Sun Read the Post..can u see SUN there?
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    somebody deleted my format again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Save Our Planet
    Is this site being censored or monitored? I wouldn't be surprised.
  • Shane
    Shane wrote:
    Haha Sun, if you saw "Moron" in the headline, then it may have been referring to you.
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    (my chinese is much betters than yours :: My Chinese is better than yours)【David Findley】
  • Amber
    Amber wrote:
    "copy a certain mistake they have identified, Post it here and provide the correct english version of that mistake.

    I think its not necessary to reference the person who made the mistake, but it is important"

    good point
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    it helps....although its a bit sensitive to one who made a mistake if they are thinking too much
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    Two things I see all the time:

    1: The shortening of words such as "you" to "u". Come on guys, you don't get charged for length of messages on here.

    2: Not starting your sentence with a CAPITAL letter. A quick tip to my non-english mother-tongued friends. Missing this will make your writing look lazy and like it's written by a child. It's such a simple way to make your work better and it's so easy. Grammar mistakes are acceptable because it's tough to learn it all and no one expects you to be fluent. Not using capitals is inexcusable.

    To be honest these are two things even us native English are sloppy with.


  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    okay lets not be too strict but of course I am sure u see some mistakes that are unacceptable and when someone see it was a mistake they have an opportunity not to repeat that.
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    (yeah,very far. i live at shangdi.need more than 1 and half hour to get my office :: yeah,very far. I live in Shangdi. I need more than 1 and a half to get to my office)【sorry, me and her are not in good terms so I cant give the name】
  • Kkg
    Kkg wrote:
    (.... when someone see it was a mistake they have an.....)

    (.... when someone sees it..... ) the verb 'see' should be singlar.
  • wrote:
    Abisai,

    My English sucks, haha
  • Notoro Kawabata
    nobody expects the spanish inquisition !!
  • Iain Bonner
    Iain Bonner wrote:
    uh oh, here comes the Spanish Inquisition !

    they have a triangular pillow !
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    thanks kkg....
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    (I'm so happiness :: I'm so Happy)【Yoya】
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    (Lier :: Liar)【No Name】
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    My professional life is spent correcting mistakes in English writing 10-11 hours a day. I'm not about to start doing it here. However, it is a good idea. Perhaps there should be a "Your Chinese Sucks" thread to.
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    that would really help for some of us who are even more shy to speak chinese here
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    (I'm chinese girl :: I'm a Chinese Girl) 【 Kim7eun】
  • Ci Jiayin
    Ci Jiayin wrote:
    Well, I think my oral English is much better than what I can spell or write, so matter what if i make the mistake, I would like to someone who are better than I am to help me to get it right...for me, it's help to not make mistake next time, so whoever helped, thanks!! Wishes the best!!
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    @Ci.Jiayin......I would like to someone who are better than I am to help me to get it right for me, it's help to not make mistake next time,................This is too complicated to correct...first give me a chinese version of what you are trying to say here. LOL
  • Ci Jiayin
    Ci Jiayin wrote:
    Haha..Mathew..you are so funny, I'm try saying that, I will make mistake and glad if some one will tell me that the right way, therefore I won't make the same mistake next time...lol..Thanks..wish you the best!!
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    (I'm try saying that::I'm trying to say that)(I will make mistake and glad if some one will tell me that the right way, therefore I won't make the same mistake next time :: I will make mistakes and I will be glad if someone corrects me. so that I won't make the same mistake again next time)【Ci.Jiayin】
  • Zoé
    Zoé wrote:
    eeeeeee....
    i should shut up..my English sucks
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    it won't such if u accept the assistance from a friend
  • Lynn Gu
    Lynn Gu wrote:
    Interesting~Maybe it is a good news for me because I always make many grammar and spelling mistakes.
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    (I'll go to watch Korean concert on this Thurs.7pm; 26th will be join the killers bash at GongTi :: Ill go watch the Korean concert this Thurs.7pm; On the 26th I will join the killers bash at GongTi )【Blair Belle】
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    probably. I knew such remarks would come....Wait...Let me Quickly make a correction of what you are trying to say (You guys are bored. LOL)
  • Lucia
    Lucia wrote:
    Yes,my english sucks.in my opinion ,the best way to training english is go aboard,is't ?and almost university needs ITLTS.that's the biggest problem for me!HELP !HELP!did anyone wants to help me?
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    going abroad will require some cash but if u dont have a problem with money then its also a good idea to improve your english but still it depends on where u want to go...u cant go to Ukraine to go learn english ..LOL

    but yeah my suggestion is if u want to improve your english u can improve it anywhere,,, as long as u talk and allow people to identify your mistakes and TALKING will really be helping...in that case when someone have identified ur mistake u are given an opportunity to improve...

    even if u go to an english speaking country and u don't talk your english will not improve

    so Talking more is a key just dont be shy
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Lucia, going aboard is not usually the best way to improve your skill in any foreign language ... I have met people who had lived in Australia for 20+ years and can only manage very basic English conversation ...

    You must make maximum use of any environment you are given, and then practice as much as you could ... I once interviewed a twenty something in Beijing, who had never been overseas, but can master very fluent English, and that was only because his previous internships was among foreign companies (one Thai company and one Hong Kong) and he made maximum use of the environment ...
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    @Peter卫环琅 : Maybe u still dont get the point of this forum cos your mind is just overpowered by hatred and Misunderstanding...At least think of the way forward from this forum and I have one last Question, Do you refuse to learn things from the internet?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Hahahaha ... this looks more and more interesting ...
  • Lucia
    Lucia wrote:
    叮当,Thanks you so much for your suggestion!
    i have heard some people said that they still chould't speak english in spite of living long time in us.you are right i must make maximum tring to learn,that's the reason i 'm here.honesly,i could learn more grammar here from you and others to improve my writing english .thanks!
  • Jason Huang
    Jason Huang wrote:
    我说中文。。。。
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Lucia ... so far, your English writing is already better than most Chinese on this site ... just keep up with the good hard work, and I am sure you will be perfect very soon ...
  • Lucia
    Lucia wrote:
    thanks! you are awesome on grammar! i learned a lot!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Hahahaha ... you are too kind ... my vocabulry is terrible, most people with CET4 in China knows more English words than me ...
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    "in my opinion ,the best way to training english is go aboard,is't ?"

    Lucia, you don't have to go to an English-speaking country to learn the language. You can create your own environment in China.

    You can find plenty of English readings from internet to practice your reading skills;

    You can type your thoughts in this forum or other English forum to practice your writing skills;

    You can listen English radio online or watch CCTV 9 (if you can bear that boring programme) to practice your listening skills;

    You can find a Chinese language partner who's also eager to enhance his/her English to practice your speaking skills. (You can even try to talk to yourself in English)

    Learning language is not very hard, but you have to persevere. Trying to find half an hour everyday for English study is much better than practicing eight hours everyday for a month, then leave it for several months and then pick it up again.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Just joined this site and maybe thought I could make some contributions. Here goes....

    Lucia wrote:

    "Yes,my english sucks.in my opinion ,the best way to training english is go aboard,is't ?and almost university needs ITLTS.that's the biggest problem for me!HELP !HELP!did anyone wants to help me?"

    Lucia, here are your problems.

    #1, and this is so common among Chinese but I don't understand why... SPACES! Put a freaking space after every punctuation mark! "Yes, my English sucks! In my opinion...", not "yes,my english sucks!in my opinion..." So comma + space. Period + space. ! + space. Do it!

    #2, "the best way to training english"... you shouldn't use training in this context. You should say "the best way to learn English" or "the best way to train my English." The ending -ING is only to be used when the action is also the subject of the sentence. For example "Training my English skills is easier when I am abroad." You should use the infinitive form "to train" in this case.

    #3, "did anyone wants to help me?" Several problems here. Did should be replaced with does. We're talking about the future, not the past, when you say "did" you are asking someone if they already did something earlier. Wants should just be want. I don't know why you added the 's' at the end so I can't explain. So "Does anyone want to help me?" is the correct form of this sentence.

    And lastly... CAPITALIZE your sentences and proper nouns!

    Listen to 故园无此声. Her advice is solid.

    Hope this helps,

    --Jon
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Hahahahaha ... Jon, or Jonathan? Hope you have enough spare time to kill, because there are plenty of people on this site who could use your help ...
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    hahaha, I just go by Jon, Jonathan is too much of a mouthful, and when people say it, I am reminded of my high school English teacher scolding me... "JONATHAN GU! Why are you breaking all your pencils!?!?"

    Now where I really need help is Chinese. I may be Chinese but I moved to the US when I was 4 and am now just back to Beijing. I can barely make conversation due to my lack of vocabulary, and I can only read about 400 or 500 Chinese characters. You have any idea how frustrating it is to look Chinese in China but not be able to understand the language?? And the worst part is, I have no accent, my pronunciation is perfect, so people look at me like I'm an idiot and wonder why I am stumbling over words.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Hahahaha ... Jon, welcome to China ...

    As I said before, if you ask around, there are plenty of people who would appreciate your help in English while would not mind paying you back with your Chinese ...

    Unfortunately, I have similar issues as you, so please forgive me if I dont volunteer to help you ... hahahaha ...
  • Lucia
    Lucia wrote:
    Jon,故园无此声,Thanks a lot for your help.
    I was so shy and excited as well when i saw what Jon's wrote.it's really helps me on grammar.i learn english from elementary school ,i couldn't listen ,read, write and speak up to the minute,i was so......i dnot know how to describe my feeling,just desperate.i really on confidence to learn english well .
    by the way,i 'm lazy guy,i m afraid i can't keep long time to learn english.
  • Amber
    Amber wrote:
    what am i supposed to do? faire la soude oreille?
  • .
    . wrote:
    Language is just a communication tool. No need to make a big deal about it especially when it's on a forum. At least they are brave enough to use a foreign language to express themselves.
  • Amber
    Amber wrote:
    "pic of guizhou . very like it . sooooooooooo beautiful. "

    guess everyone could tell what the wrong is...here.
  • Rachel
    Rachel wrote:
    haha... I bet Jon would be really disappointed with your answer Lucia.
    I think this Forum has good point.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    @Lucia: 没事儿,你的英语已经不错了,就是有点语法的毛病。很正常,也很容易改。But first things first, don't forget what I said! Spaces, goddamnit, spaces! I know it's not a big deal, but it's sooooo easy to fix, it really annoys me, and so many Chinese have this issue. And I sort of know why, because when you put a , or a . in Sogou, it automatically inserts a space for you when you type in Chinese. But in English you put in the space yourself. I mean seriously, come on, look at your sentence: "i learn english from elementary school ,i couldn't listen ,read, write and speak up to the minute,i was so" You have a space before the comma, a space afer the comma, and then no space at all!

    I know that I'm being an ass about something really simple but that's the point. Learn to be consistent, that's how you improve any skill. Do it right, don't let yourself make the same mistake over and over and you will naturally improve.

    If you want a suggestion, try this exercise: watch your favorite English TV show, and pick one sentence from there. Translate it and write it down in Chinese. Then translate it back into English and see how closely it matches what the actors in the show actually said, and then see why your translation is grammatically different even though it conveys the same message.


    @Shayla Yin: Good point. Language is definitely a tool and Lucia for instance gets her point across very clearly, but is also a bit messy. Better to correct the errors than to ignore it and thus reinforce wrong behavior. I know that if I post in Chinese and mess up a few words, people will jump me for it, but when people make mistakes in English no one says anything because they feel it isn't polite to point out the errors.

    @Amber: Not sure what you are asking, but if you want me to analyze that sentence... "very like it" This is a fragment sentence. Where is the subject? There is none. Who likes it? And "very like" is incorrect too because very is an adjective, not an adverb. You use very to modify people and things, not actions. A correct form would be "I like it very much"

    Oh and of course don't forget the CAPS at the start of the sentence and on proper nouns.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    @Rachel: LOL hahahaha :P
  • Amber
    Amber wrote:
    I ASKED NOTHING HERE.
  • Amber
    Amber wrote:
    "above-average intelligence" means ........of the whole world there are half people who get it,does not it?
    how could i rarely meet any of them?
    and no wonder i am single!.........mr. punctuation............did u not see " " the qutation mark ?
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    @Amber, yeah I saw your quote marks but I figure it's more useful to explain what's wrong with a sentence rather than just say "Hey guys, look, this is obviously wrong, see, see, see???"

    And I'd guess that you're single not because you only meet idiots and you can't meet any intelligent men but because you are too confrontational to figure out the difference between the two :P
  • Amber
    Amber wrote:
    "Hey guys, look, this is obviously wrong, see, see, see???"
    i say no such thing in such a tune.so yeah boy u are "obviously" and definately not a good judge of character, so private life tips from u? that is rich.

    i did say "good point" i can not help it, so kid with your head, do not ruin it at least not turning it into a kidgarden.

    well if it makes u feel any better, the idiot is really confrontational. so this is how it is gonna go down, u are gonna put yourself together to explain us why the people who do not have above-average intelligence are idiots.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Alright, chill and take a step back girl. Let's start over.

    Hi, Amber. Nice picture, is that a real tattoo on your neck? And do you like the band Disturbed, because that's what your tattoo reminds me of, and it seems you really like electric guitars and so probably rock music too:

  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    后来说话的人都很会说英语。。不错
  • NN
    NN wrote:
    This is quite good point,I have also seen some of the grammar mistakes here in some comments.Whoever wanted to learn english,just come here and pick up some FREE lessons!!So it is really important that the lessons/all informations are given properly !!!

  • Camaron
    Camaron wrote:
    Nina, can your dog speak in a proper english?
  • patrick or 潘云迪
    Hey no one saw the mistake, Singular. Which brings me to a good point, colour color, s and z and of the many other examples between British and American english. Cant we all agree on one set of spelling and just get used to it? Damn im thirsty, I need a strong drink,
  • Fazio
    Fazio wrote:
    Im here for learning
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Normally we would say "I'm here to learn."

    But don't ask me why. I don't know and can't be bothered to look it up.
  • Åse Marie Strand
    Well if the grammar thing is really bothering people that much, I will make more of an effort to be more proper in my posts. I believe my friend Thorstan is equally annoyed by grammar errors on this site.

    I treat these posts informally because I am constantly working with students to correct grammar issues, it is my job. I also worked as an editor for three years, so that is part of it. I am not fond of editing these posts but will make more of an effort to do so.

    But come on guys seriously, who gives a fuck about an Oxford Comma? (Look it up if you don't get the reference here).
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Hahahaha ... I used to be very picky about grammar and spelling and puntuation marks, especially when chatting or exchanging emails with my Chinese friends and relatives, but that was (seriously) mainly for correcting and improving their English ... however, it seems most people have got so little time (or just too lazy) that no one really cares anymore ... I still dont think this is right, but then I notice I am getting lazy on using proper casing these days too ... ooops ...

  • Jon Magnus Ro
    Jon Magnus Ro wrote:
    A bit of a hypocrite don't you think? You say that you want people to speak English properly and you aren't even typing it so. To be completely proper than you should write it in the given form, capitalization and correct spelling, meaning no "u" or no fractured sentences. So if you are going to do this, at least do it properly, seeing as you would disadvantage everyone else who would as you think, check this link to see what they did wrong. I don't think you should let it bother you so much. If it does than get over it :)
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    Picky about punctuation and spelling is one thing... picky about grammar is a different matter. Poor punctuation/spelling/using shorthand like "thx" is about laziness and usually doesn't need to be corrected. Poor grammar on the other hand is a habit, even when writing in the worse of shorthand SMS type message on a piece of shit phone, I at least usually try to stay grammatically correct. Correcting poor grammar is always helpful.

    Madison, if you are talking about Abisai the original poster, he did mention that his own post contained errors too.
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    It annoys me a lot to see this... I dunno why, but anyways... here's a quick English tip from your friendly neighbor Jon.

    If you are from Shanghai or Yunnan or something... you are from Southern China. If you are from Beijing, you are from Northern China.

    You are not from South of China or North of China! South of China is Vietnam or Thailand, North of China is Mongolia and Russia!

    When you say South of China, you mean that you from an area that is NOT INSIDE OF CHINA anymore, it is to the South of China. For example, Shanghai is in Southern China but Vietnam is South of China.

    Thank you for reading!
  • Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:
    we r gonna post in Chinese then!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Hahahaha ... Jon, if you say that to them in the face, they might say that you are wrong, because the teachers did not teach English like that in school ... that happened to me when I used another form of "double negative" (forgotten what I was saying, but I did not even intend to teach them a DN) in class a few years ago ...

    What I was trying to say, is that a lot of local folks assumed what they learnt in class must be 100% correct, even when there is a slim chance that it might be wrong ... I think it is part of the education tradition, and this is one tradition I dont like about being Chinese ...
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    You were an English teacher before? I never knew that!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Hahahaha ... I just "conducted" a class in the company I was working for, not a proper teaching job ...
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    I ain't not really comprehendin' what you're not talking about!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    huh? hahahaha ... maybe "conduct" is the wrong word of choice? My English is so bad these days, a friend suggested that I should go to BLCU (or BCLU?) ...

    Anyway, I was working for a so-called foreign company between 06 and 07 ... that was an IT out-sourcing company, and being that most of the clients have English requirement, I was often picked to teach (or discuss) with the Engineers how to be interviewed (in English), or how to make social chit-chat (in English) ... sometimes correcting their basic grammar mistakes etc ...
  • Yomik
    Yomik wrote:
    既然那么多都有语法错误,那还是大家入乡随俗吧。说中文吧
  • Mohammed Abdi
    Mohammed Abdi wrote:
    poster is tripping....
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    哈哈...说的对,有很多人,是应该说中文,而不应该说英文的...但也有很多人,不一定可以看得明白中文,我们也不能不考虑他们,更何况,这个网站的管理人员大多是外国人...中西交流嘛,能够说什么,就说什么吧...
  • Tommy Svane
    Tommy Svane wrote:
    humm, scarddd, I do not speak English in the daytime
  • Xx
    Xx wrote:
    my English sucks*:*
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    The fact is that, no one can ever be so perfect in a Language including its native speakers. English is one hell of a wide language that involves different pronunciations, spellings and words corrupted from other languages. Another fact is that it is a living language. We can only do better to beautify what we have by helping each other. What we know of a language is not only to write or speak it, but to also know that now i have written a relative clause, a contact clause, a conditional clause, knowing that now i have put the subject of the sentence before the object, etc. I feel bad about my Chinese friends that leave University with a Degree majoring in English, but do not know what an article of English is. The English to be taught to a person taking the subject as a major should be more than a person just learning it for simple communication.
    I work with ten girls with transcripts from different Universities in China, whose majors are English, but can not weave a flowing conversation in English. Some of them, their English is in a worse state of health for any doctor to cure. I feel offended, not by the English they speak, but by the fact that they were cheated. To me that is what i call it. They were exploited because they did not know what the whole course out line of an English major student should be.

    True, learning a language is not so easy and we can never boast of being heavenly. I have a Diploma and Degree in English language and literature in English, and have taught the same at University level outside China for ten years, but i also trip over.

    I have refused teaching English in different small schools here because i do not want to cheat and exploit my Chinese friends, unless when the school can show me that they have a serious module to be followed to teach English.

    Thus, i would be happy to the marrow to have such a thread where i can discuss different topics of English and be taught more about English language.
    Is there any school in Beijing that teaches Literature? I mean, analysis of novels, plays and poems, looking at the subject matter, characterization, plot, setting etc, or anyone interested in Literature here? I would be glad to share with you.

    Please, make corrections to any mistakes i have made here, for we are all learning from one another.

    Jah Bless
  • Shukri Olad
    Shukri Olad wrote:
    wo jue de zhe shi 1 ge hao zhu yi.
  • Petter Meisfjordskar
    @Jojo,
    Stop abusing us that do not know Chinese. Write in English because i know you know English. The last time we talked, your English was perfect. Do not be selfish.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Hahahaha ... cool, dude ... I really doubt if you have made much or any mistakes, and even if you have, dont worry about it ...

    By the way, if anyone thinks his/her English is not good, please get help, you can be sure that there are plenty on this site ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Hahahaha ... did you mean your "Chinese" sucks? Hahahaha ... *wink* *wink* ...

    Agreed with the "nobody rides for free" ... language exchange is out ... hahaha ...

    Off to An Ding Men now ... cheerio ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc