Discussion » Music » Music to Share...

• Victor
    Victor wrote:
    Hi Everyone...I believe we guys are music lovers aren't we?therefore in this theard i would like to have all off your suggestion about the new or old song that u think.it's beautiful or yet it is still nice to hear by the time goes on.

Sorry before for the bad english.
    i will start with mine i guess
    the very band that i like the most now are
    The MUSE and a lot more i guess it's quite impossible to list it here :)

the Song or tittle is either OK in Chinese,English or any other language as long as it makes you flies with the melody.

Thanks for the sharing.

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

I really liked Muse's Absolution and a few tracks from it's predecessor, Showbiz, but haven't enjoyed their more recent work.

In terms of old songs and/or bands that I'll always listen to, I'd say Guns N' Roses, Black Sabbath, Neil Young and Radiohead.

Probably dozens more, but those are the artists that I've been listening to non-stop for the past decade-plus.

• Wang Ge 王戈
    let's just say Dylan will be here in beijing singing only songs from his Xmas album or not coming at all....mr dylan, plz delete all songs from all your albums before the 90s....if u sing that, we china no welcome you
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Hahaha. Just had a meeting with the Dylan folks. It's looking good. Keep your fingers crossed.
  • Wang Ge 王戈
    right, arcade fire's neighborhood 2 laika (just can't get off any indie rock materials with marching band's rhythm), glamorous pharmacy (美好药店)'s cang lao chong 苍老虫 (from GP's first album, man xiao he's awesome, especially with Li tieqiao blowing that violent sax horn in the background)

also i'm starting to dig ziyo recently, honestly i'm not really a pet conspiracy fan, ziyo make more sense to me as a great band

also Fever Ray!
    check it out here :

http://www.xiami.com/album/328100
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Loved the first Arcade Fire record. Same with Fever Ray's debut.

And while I've only caught Li Tieqiao once (last year's Sally Can't Dance Festival), his performance was absolutely devastating.

New Ziyo tracks are amazing!

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Layla by Derek and the Dominoes-the most scorching blues/rock song and furously passionate love song of all time. Those blistering sounds made by the cocaine fueled twin guitars of Eric Clapton and Duane Allman are unduplicatable, even by Clapton himself, and Bobby Whitlock's pinao solo is one for the ages.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    By the way, Beijing apparently has its own Muse tribute band: BEMUSED.

They're playing at Tiny Salt on Fri, Jan 22.
  • Victor
    Victor wrote:
    wow thank you for the info .
    em..do you have any links of their tracks to listen?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Sorry, I don't.

But if you like Muse, you may enjoy the Beijing-based band Joker.

• Victor
    Victor wrote:
    WOW.....they have nice melody indeed.combine with spectacular singer would be a killing songs.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Huh. Didn't realize that those new tracks didn't have vocals. The stuff they posted previously did have vocal tracks... same soaring, uplifting style and tone as the singer from Muse.
  • Victor
    Victor wrote:
    Yea, they have a couples of good albums.. .
    like the "Supermassive Black Hole"? Never get enough of that.
  • Patrick Helgesen
    Oh yea! right,.Music Just for you.We .Everyone!
  • NN
    NN wrote:
    Check out 50cent,it is really quite cool
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Most people are familiar with 50 Cent, I think.

In the middle of a nostalgic metal kick at the moment, revisiting bands like Possessed, Death, Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death, Slayer, Morbid Angel, Testament, Souls at Zero and At the Gates.

Check out the show at 13 Club this weekend to hear some local bands ripping shit up!
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    holly shoe, Possessed?! really? Among of all, Death's Chuck Schuldiner is god, only the best die young. RIP

check out the early DEICIDE and MASSACRE, and BOLT THROWER, KREATOR, they will suit to the line up above. _\m/
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Hell yeah, Webslave.

While it's debatable as to who "invented" death metal, it's widely accepted that Possessed's "Seven Churches" (1985) was the first release to break away from thrash, while Death's "Scream Bloody Gore" (1987) further cemented the brutality of the genre.

Haven't really heard Massacre, but will check 'em out. Bolt Thrower are cool, as are the almighty Deicide.

And I'm really kicking myself for missing the Kreator gig back in September. I damn near wore out their cassette tapes.
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    haha, i was on stage (security) while they were playing.

i dont think that possessed is what one understands as death metal but Scream sure is. a funny band called Master claimed to have toured US with the style label "death metal".

End 80s til 92 were the best years for both thrash and death, you can blindly buy anything released around that time. ATHEIST if you are into prog stuff.

most interesting for me is the changing era between 93 til 96, many cult bands started to head to a different direction and experimenting, some are really innovative and interesting, but most of them couldnt succeed. Sepultura was the biggest winner among them. Carcass and Entombed made it somehow too. But Kreator's "renewal" for exsample was almost a flop. After that, the metal world was shared by Post Thrash (Pantera), Black Metal and Gothic/Doom (early Goth Metal).

Check out NAILBOMB on earache!
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Cool. Thanks for the history lesson.

I started listening to metal in '93 (first purchased record: Megadeth's "Countdown to Extinction") and while being only an impressionable 10-year-old, I picked up on the fact (mainly through rags like Hit Parader and Circus) that 1993 was really a turning point with legendary bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motley Crue and Anthrax all going through lineup changes and countless others experimenting and tinkering with their templates.

Sepultura's Chaos AD, by the way, remains a supreme testament to the genre and one of my favorite records of all time. I gave them a fair shot after the departure of Max Calevera, but their new vocalist never did it for me. Loved the first pair of Soulfly records as well.

And I love all of those old Earache bands, too. In addition to Carcass, Entombed and Bolt Thrower, I was a big fan of the Dillinger Escape Plan, Clutch, early Cathedral, Brutal Truth, Extreme Noise Terror, Candiria and to a lesser extent, some of the more electronica bands like Pitchshifter and Misery Loves Co.

And Pantera was my first concert: January 1997. Got into a fight with a bunch of fat rednecks after Rex threw a handful of his bass picks into the crowd, but managed to walk away with one... but only after getting punched in the face.

\m/ \m/
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    I grew up in a small town. Ironically, the lack of a local scene ended up making me seek weirder stuff, since I learned about bands via the Internet instead of through a peer group.

Videogaming got me interested in electronic music and eventually industrial rock. If you've ever reached the end of the Internet, you know the last boss is pretty hard. KMFDM is the background music you hear when you confront him in his third and final form.
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    wow, a pick of Rex for a punch, you are a hero, you can tell that to your grand children one day, nice! I never got into a fight or something.

in 93 i started my metal fanzine called Evil Message in Germany, before that AC/DC, Metallica, Kreator, Overkill and all the old death metal veterans listed above. that was a nice and exciting time. Those names like Earache, Roadrunner, Morrisound Studios or Sunlight Studios made one's heart beating faster. The world was straight and clear back then. The first album i bought in the local record store was actually "Vulgar display of Power" but i didnt like that one tiny part where he speaks almost like a rapper, big hatred to rappers back then! So i changed that CD with a friend for Napalm Death "Utopia Abannished". That was also the time where tape trading was still on going. I had a lot of tapes full of death and thrash stuff. I still listen to some of them in my car now! 15 years old tapes still rock!

through the mag and a label (AFM Rec.) we started doing, i got more into underground. I have never really been to any bigger concerts, never interested me. I love this small smelly shit holes where only 50 ppl have enough space to stay in and the sweat is dripping down from the roof.

I think Painkiller Mag somehow was a revival of what i had back then. There was a glorious underground time at the old Get Lucky Bar (near Japanese Friendship Hostpital) with those bands like Ritual Day, Suffocated and Regicide and Stale Corpse. you will meet all the obscure short haired normal looking but extreme metal fanatics from the tiny scene of Beijing. Oh man, times passes by so fast.

I should have started with study back then instead of falling deeper into metal hell LOL now i m sitting on my housework for the distanced study i finally managed to start with.
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    would be great to have KMFDM playing in China. Rammstein copied a lot from them.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Good stuff, Webslave.

I know you're taking a break from writing, but I'm still going to pester you to write a column for this website. Or at least continue to educate us Beijing newbies about tales from back in the day. (At least pen a guest article for the "Five Songs" column!)

Dando Z

Ah, KMFDM. Both "Angst," "Xtort" and "Symbols" are, in my opinion, a near-perfect trilogy of work.

I haven't been following them since they emerged from their hiatus in 2002, but it may be about time to see what they've been cookin' up in their mega-prolific industro-laboratory.

Have you heard any of the new stuff?

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    ok Pete, what ever you are on, after the CNY i will have more time for anything else :P

KMFDM just released a new album, right? did check it out yet.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Wiki shows that KMFDM has released five original LPs, four double-disc compilations of rarities and three remix efforts since 2003 alone.

The soundtrack for enough final game video bosses until the next century.

Happy listening!

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    2 mio. records they sold in total, that is real an achievement! But i rather fave their mid 90's albums, maybe i m just a nostalgist :P

http://www.google.cn/music/artist?id=A510d7bfa89cc1374

now, happy listening!
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Cool. Will check it out.
  • Max-Leonhard Von Schaper
    I loved that old Get Lucky Bar... 10RMB for half a litre plus the best of Chinese metal growling the stage. I remember a gig during which both Regicide and Gorgasm (nowadays Hyonblud) played. During the Regicide gig the vocalist joined the moshpit leaving the stage deserted. Wang Mian of Gorgasm jumped up and took over the growls. The vocalist of Regicide just started up amused (or astounished) and joined in the moshpit again, most propably released to have a little break...
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I miss Get Lucky, too.

Most fond memory:

Spring 2007, Marilyn Manson tribute night replete with Goth strippers -- who completely disrobed save for thongs and pasties -- and about ten bands.

During Dark Haze's set this past Friday at 13 Club, an assuming fellow took the stage (he looked like he could have been a Tsinghua University biology professor) and issued some nice growling vocal interplay with the singer.

Good stuff.
  • Don
    Don wrote:
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTQ2ODczMDg4.html
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTA3NjAxOTQw.html
  • Don
    Don wrote:
    by akon
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTAwMzk4MjM2.html
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzcyMzM4ODA=.html
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTExMTIxOTI=.html

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:
    Pete, Max is talking about the very old Get Lucky Bar near Japanese Friendship Hospital and Shaoyaoju Subway Station. That place has become a connection bridge between 4th and 3rd ring these days. Hope there will be news soon about where Get Lucky Bar is going to move to. 330 Festival is cult, where ever Get Lucky Bar has it's residence.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.