Discussion » Music » Bob Dylan in China

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Music industry blog China Music Radar reported earlier this week that none other than the legendary Bob Dylan will tour China and East Asia this spring.

Dates are as follows:

Apr 2: Taiwan
    Apr 4: Beijing
    Apr 6: Shanghai
    Apr 8: Hong Kong

Other dates and the local promoter will be announced soon.

Is anyone is excited as I am? And is Bob Dylan popular here in China?

Lots of my more creative artist and musician friends are happy, but I'm not sure about other folks.

What do you think?
  • wrote:
    Yes, Bob Dylan is popular in China and is a great singer.
  • wrote:
    Blowin' In The Wind

How many roads must a man walk down
    Before you call him a man?
    Yes, 'n' how many seas must a white dove sail
    Before she sleeps in the sand?
    Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
    Before they're forever banned?
    The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
    The answer is blowin' in the wind.

How many years can a mountain exist
    Before it's washed to the sea?
    Yes, 'n' how many years can some people exist
    Before they're allowed to be free?
    Yes, 'n' how many times can a man turn his head,
    Pretending he just doesn't see?

How many times must a man look up
    Before he can see the sky?
    Yes, 'n' how many ears must one man have
    Before he can hear people cry?
    Yes, 'n' how many deaths will it take till he knows
    That too many people have died?

This is the most popular one for me.
  • wrote:
    You can listen to his songs online:
  • Notoro Kawabata
    amazing news DeMola......!

i saw Bob together with the Stones in the 98, but he jumped on stage just for the classic song. This is the last opportunity to see a living legend that still on the road.

• 由克张
    由克张 wrote:
    Wow!I will be there!
  • Tibby Pandanianna
    If he dares to come..
    I'm so there!
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Bob Dylan is awesome. One of the best songwriters who ever lived. However, as a live act he he is very inconsistent. I saw him im in 1990 and he was terrible. My thinking was he said to himself, "Eh...tonight I'm in Victoria. I'm gonna get drunk. Fuck 'em."

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he did the same thing in Beijing.

It may have been 20 years ago, but there is no no way Mr. Dylan is getting my money again. I prefer to light up a spliff and listen to Highway 61.
  • Richie
    Richie wrote:
    First, and the only, useful/interesting info i have come across on this site. Thx!
  • 爱米粒Emily
    Bob Dylan is famous in China, but I wouldn't say popular. We're basically just familiar with his hit "Blowing in the wind" and that's about... it... I think it's mostly because many of his songs involve too much social and political background for local Chinese to understand. Even with "Blowing in the wind", we like it, we know the lyrics, but I don't think many of us know that its melody was derived from a traditional slave song and that its lyrics was written to question the social and political status quo... Also because of the fact that his lyrical compositions are of too much an "extraordinary poetic power", not that it's not good, but too difficult for us ;P

Plus we don't get his humor...

P.S. I I tried to appreciate his rough-edge singing, failed. And his trilogy of Christian albums really get on my nerves...
  • Candy Q
    Candy Q wrote:
    @pete, if they actually come to both Shanghai & Beijing, then they r popular enough in China to gather enough ppl that r willing to buy to tickets so that they can make profit.
    But we never know until it happens~~~
    anybody remember what happened to Linkin Park's tour last year?
    all of my friends had to go all the way downtown to refund because LP canceled the Beijing concert after selling tickets...can't really describe how they feel about them anymore after....
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Thanks, guys. Keep the insights coming.

Candy Q

I thought the Linkin Park show was canceled last year due to illness -- not as a result of low ticket sales or for other nefarious reasons.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Try to do it again later this year when Linkin Park returns to Beijing.
  • Notoro Kawabata

• R-R
    R-R wrote:
    im really worry about it.The killers and Oasis couldnt come in the end.I wish he could come i like him .BBut really worry!!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.