Discussion » Nonsense » Gay Novel Reading

• Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    I need to write an article about gay/les novels.

my reading:

Nabokov's Pale Fire
    D.H. Lawrence's Women In Love
    Oscar Wilde's Picture of Drian Gray and other Stories
    Woolf's Mrs.Dalloway
    & Thomas Mann, Death in Venice

In addition to certain descriptions in novels of Mishima Yukio, Murakami, Proust, McCullers and Chinese novels 红楼,三国.

Anyone know other gay/les novels not in my list? help please ~
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    我今天搜着搜着又搜出了很多。。。都超级扭曲。哈哈哈

看不出来你还看渡边淳一。。。。不单纯阿不单纯。

要是手边有书,帮我摘一两段比较有趣的对话或者描写吧~ 我手边没他的书阿。
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Nothing to add to the list, but considering Thomas Mann's "Death in Venice" is about a middle-aged man obsessing over a prepubescent boy, I'd consider that pedophilia... not homosexuality.
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    @ Zhaohong, 身体健康、中医读物我也读的,我只是不写出来。哈哈哈,矫情or装B的最高境界:)

@ DeMola, You are right...I gonna keep on searching some normal homo novel....thanks.
  • Notoro Kawabata
    contemporary too ? Running with Scissors by A. Burroughs
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    Gracias, Fede.
    un besito.
  • Notoro Kawabata
    aaah dont forget the argentine Manuel Puig "Kiss of the Spider Woman". Oh i wish i could wear my mom dresses after that readings.....oh...
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    por que??? no entiendo !!!
  • 王望魍
    王望魍 wrote:
    @pete "I'd consider that pedophilia"

i'd consider that an incredibly perverse reading of the story. knowing he's going to die, the guy obsesses over the kid's youth.
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Sheridan Le Fanu's Carmilla
    (Lesbian vampire story that Stoker used as a source for Dracula. And actually, homosexuality is more loosely tied into most novels about vampirism and is part of the reason why early screen depictions of Dracula didn't include scenes of any male victims being bitten by Dracula himself)
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    I'm not sure if you wanted plays as well, but there's an 1988 play by Hwang called M Butterfly that's a re-working of the more famous Madame Butterfly opera and involves a French diplomat and a male Beijing Opera singer.

I'll keep thinking and add to this is if I remember more.
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Oh, really obvious one: The Color Purple.
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    Thanks, Daniel~
    I found some other interesting homo novels last night though...will add it to the list when I finish the article. So, thanks for giving me more information.

And, Fede!
    U know what, I found the Chinese version of Kiss of the Spider Woman!
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    I'd recommend typing 'Queer Studies' into google if you want to find more, or some variation involving the word Queer as that'll probably give you more success than gay/lesbian (Queer Studies is a big area of modern literary criticism).

There's also wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesbian_literature

And that's it! I've been up for about ten hours marking papers on Oliver Twist and I think I got a bit too into the search because it was a welcome distraction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_literature
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    haha, Daniel. The first thing I did when I got the writing mission is the search Gay novels in wiki :)

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    Yuke,

Do you wanna borrow my autobiography?

It's a real page turner...
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    ¨Iliad¨ by Homer, the relation between Achilles and Patroclo is a relation of lover (they are not cousins like in the shit movie -Troya-)
    -Antes que anochezca -(before night falls) by Reinaldo Arenas, the writter talks about his vital experience in Cuba and the problems with the goverment. Very famous in spanish culture.
    ¨Brokeback mountain¨ by Annie Proulx, the novel was before the famous movie, I think that ten years before the movie.
  • Notoro Kawabata
    O.O they didn't banned it in China ! great.
    Argentina, 1975. Openly express yourself wasn't a pretty good idea.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    岑麟艺
    I can see that, too. But if I'm not mistaken, there were some rather strong cues indicating his sexual urges towards the kid. In addition to strong themes of both incest and pedophilia in his work, Mann also had many real life "relationships" with young boys.

"Death in Venice" itself was actually inspired by a trip Mann took to Venice in 1911 with his family. His wife confirmed that her husband spent the trip obsessing over the kid.

In any event, it's food for thought.
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    Fede, Why should they ban it? If I can even find Jean Genet's Our Lady of the Flowers....

Thanks, Adolfo...almost forgot the short stories of Annie Proulx.

And, Mr Carlos... :) How come a trip to Guangdong change your sexual orientation easily?
  • Notoro Kawabata
    Y. there's an interesting -recent- essay on how male writers
    changed the way to see the sex scenes in the novels, Written by a WOMAN.

"The Naked and the Conflicted"
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/03/books/review/Roiphe-t.html

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.