Discussion » Nonsense » any good book you want to share with us?

• MoMo
    MoMo wrote:
    In spite of what you are reading now...any book you think is very meaningful that you want to share with everybody here?
    here is mine.I saw the thread that we are discussing about horoscope.I know one book called “生命的轨迹” which includes many professional explanation for that,written by Stephen Arroyo. The english version is called" astology karma&transformation“
  • 王望魍
  • SaSa♣Yi
    SaSa♣Yi wrote:
    Gosh, this tread do remind me of the terrible scene during my IELTS speaking test. Since I didn't get any preparation for the test, i was kinda nervous. When the handsome examiner asked me if i like reading, to simplify the answer, i replied that "I don't like reading cuz I'm a party animal"! pfffff.... he was definately got a shock haha, guess no student gave such a stupid answer to him before..SHAME ON ME!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

If you are into vampires, mystics, magic, monsters etc ... you cannot miss the Anita Blake series, written by Laurell K Hamilton ...
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    Norwegian Wood is a great read.

Ulysses by James Joyce. It takes about 7 reads before you 'get it', but after that it's all you'll ever want to read again
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman. A must read for anyone interested in the globalized world.
  • Xx
    Xx wrote:
    the time traveler's wife
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    sould like great....thx peter i'll download it as my next ebook to read.;)
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    You can buy copies of both The World is Flat and Norwegian Wood from those bookmobiles in Wudaokou for 10 RMB. Not sure if those folks are braving the cold, though.

Currently reading Phillip Roth's The Human Stain.
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    It's a corker Pete, enjoy it.
  • MoMo
    MoMo wrote:
    why Norwegian Wood is so good?
    I have read that..not that impressive..maybe I am wrong
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    Trainspotting
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    Don't think you can exactly be 'wrong' on the subject, Sophie.

I found it a haunting yet very alive love story. The characters were also delightfully quirky.
  • MoMo
    MoMo wrote:
    @carlos hehhe..yes.you are right.maybe because it was in middle school that I read this book..i just found that is a nice love story..didnt notice how he used those words..hehheh~
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    言归正传,the books I read recently and recommend...

Jorger Berger, Keeping A Rendezvous. if you like art history.
    Baudrillard, Coold Memories(3). if you like pilosophy.
    Umberto Eco, Misreading. funny, especially good for the moment when u go to toilet.
    陈丹青,多余的素描. damn, wonderful book, a mixture of life adventure and art history! I really appreciate the way he systemize the article!
  • Xiaoli
    Xiaoli wrote:
    SAY YES TO LIFE
    by Anando
  • NN
    NN wrote:
    I watch movies instead of reading books.
    And I read magazine always.
  • 爱谁谁
    爱谁谁 wrote:
    these years only met 2 books i liked very much
    《狼图腾》《藏獒》
  • MoMo
    MoMo wrote:
    @David Findley. I like those books you mentioned
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    @David Findley, Heidegger! impressive, hard one for me.

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Lily, One of my literature students introduced me to the Time Travellers Wife, but she didn't know the name of the author. Any idea?

A few months back I read a great book by the American humorist Christopher Moore called Lamb:The Gospel According to Biff. It is a very funny yet poignant fictionalized account of Jesus Christ's life as told by his best friend.

It was the first book I've laughed out loud while reading since Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, another great book that tells the story of "the end of the world and the happy go lucky days that follow".
  • MoMo
    MoMo wrote:
    @Peter. Maybe that is Audrey Niffenegger. There is a movie too.
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    正解,Niffenegger
  • Jose
    Jose wrote:
    Karl Marx's Das Kapital, for anybody interested in what is happening in today's "globalized world" and the financial crisis.
  • wrote:
    Jose Gabriel Martinez-Borras,

Das Kapital, English version?
    Ask you a question, what's your point of view about deglobalization?
  • Fahad Hashmi
    Fahad Hashmi wrote:
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.
  • G
    G wrote:
    some books I read last year...
    以下为香港版
    -七十年代
    -墓碑
    -晚年周恩来
    -独立记者
    -赵紫阳回忆录
    -吴法宪回忆录
    以下为大陆版
    -小团圆
    -艺术的故事(英)贡布里希
    -世界美术史20讲

• Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    贡布里希·!
    握手
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Fries, you are welcome ... if you want a taste of it (being a vampire series, "taste" sounds bloody), I have the e-version ...
  • Jose
    Jose wrote:
    Sorry Sun, I hadn't seen your message. I think you ask a very good question about "Deglobalization". I think it is important to seriously look at alternative development patterns in interregional trade and integration and sustainable development along with local development. Export based economy is not sustainable in the long run and concepts like food sovereignty should be more seriously taken. In other words, produce for local consumption, creation of jobs and barter and trade internationaly while promoting different social indicators of development, like education, health care, etc. I know all of this is debatable but it is a good start to posing alternatives to a post-crisis development. Hope I haven't offended anyone...
  • Jenny
    Jenny wrote:
    人生若只如初见
  • Cathrine Bjørkesett
    i like the wizarding thing...thanx
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    Anyone read Herta Muller? I just simply shocked by one of her short novel. then try to find her books (in English or in Chinese), but just found one, Land of Green Plums.
    Does anyone know where I can get one (except Amazon...)?
  • MoMo
    MoMo wrote:
    try.taobao.if you can not find in dangdang...or you can go douban.
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    i tried all....douban, dd,joyo....only found one...
  • MoMo
    MoMo wrote:
    just keep trying.if you really want,I am sure you will find it.I met this situation before.it is just that maybe it will take a while.heheheh.. 别当废话就好。。哈哈哈
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I didn't start reading fantasy novels until about a month ago. Since then, I've tackled Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" and "Speaker for the Dead," as well as Neil Gaiman's "American Gods."

While I can't say that I'll turn into a fullblown fantasy geek anytime soon, they were provocative, stimulating and overall enjoyable reads.
  • 爱米粒Emily
    @Gordon Z

好多明镜出版社的影子哟~
    晚年周恩来反动得厉害诶。
    以及,你看的赵(空格)紫(空格)阳回忆录是时报出版社的prisoner of the state咩?还是05年的港版?
    . wrote:
    I like many books.

But what's your opinion on Slavic pork sausages?
  • wrote:
    But what's your opinion on Slavic pork sausages?
    =============
    What's this?
    It is something eatable or book title?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I think Giacomo M. was making a sexual reference, Sun.

In Western culture, many chaps often compare their equipment to cylindrical objects, sometimes prefaced with a nationality or region:

Slavic Pork Sausage
    Alabama Black Snake

Like that, see?
  • wrote:
    haha
    I have to these guys are so monotonous.
    And I am a illiterate in this forum.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Not illiterate. I wouldn't pick up on many Chinese jokes, either.

Now stop playing with your Beijing Biscuit and get back to work.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Fries ... glad to be of service ...

There are 14 LIT files in the series, between 300 and 700 kB each ... you can get the eRead from Microsoft ... I will send the first three over to you via PM ...

. wrote:
    Hey, I was talking about food! Just asking a random off topic opinion, can't I? :(
  • Tibby Pandanianna
    Pfff that SaSa girl was such a douche bag..

And for book, <1984> is a great one.
  • Xixi
    Xixi wrote:
    Why sixty million frenchmen can't be wrong

Also, I know you asked for books, but the Economist is awesome if you can lay hands on one of these periodically.

Hahahaha sun Slavic Pork Sausage, is it edible? that's what she said? Sorry sorry
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Sheryl, if you want to talk about vampires, look no further than Anne Rice. And I am also glad Twilight didn't didn't come up.

If anyone out there likes Quentin Tarinto AND reading ( a remarkable concept I know...) you should read Elmore Leonard. He is where Tarantino got his talent for writing crackling dialogue from. It used to just be suspiscion on my part, but when he adapted Leonard's novel "Rum Punch" to the movie "Jackie Brown" I knew where Tarantino got his style from.

Elmore Leonard is brilliant in terms of setting a scene, creating characters and writing dialogues. Recomended books include "Swag", "Bandits", "Stick", "Get Shorty". "Killshot" and ""Maximum Bob". And of course..."Rum Punch.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

No one (yes, WLIB team) seems to notice (or respond) to the bugs or issues I have reported in the other thread ...

So while this one is still hot, I would like to report a new problem...

I sent a couple of LIT files to T Fries using a PM, and he replied saying that he cannot get to those attachments, and when I clicked on them, they said "file not found" or something like that ...

Therefore ... PM is OK, but PM attachment is not working ... I think this is domain related ... should be a simple fix ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

And did someone say food? Cook books?
  • Iain Bonner
    Iain Bonner wrote:
    I also got to mention Murakami's short stories. always inventive. he takes a lot from his short story hero Raymond Carver, who is also amazing in quite different ways. but they compliment each other very well.

i also got to put Kenneth Patchen out there, who is a beat writer from the 60s and totally out of this world. hard to get his stuff, but it's wild.

also been loving the short fiction of J.D. Salinger lately. he has a beautiful style with dialogue.

Also Mishima Yukio for some nice heavy, intense reading ( i got quite obsessed with him for some time )and some of the short story collections of David Foster Wallace are really impressive. still haven't done Infinite Jest, unfortunately. got 90 pages in when i was in hospital and felt it was a bit too much for the situation. so started reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez instead. that was a good choice.

i'm a bit out of the loop with books these days, so this discussion has been great ! keep dropping titles

also check out Octavio Paz for some amazing short stories and poetry. 'My Life With The Wave' beautiful !
  • MoMo
    MoMo wrote:
    is there anyone here interested in spirituality?I am a super fan of it, and also bought many books about that.if who has same interest with me,contact me~~heheh~~we need talk,hah~
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

While writing the new thread about personal finance, I remember these two cute little books:

1. "The Richest Man in Babylon" by George Samuel Clason ... it is a great and light read about building personal wealth

2. 小狗钱钱, a Chinese translation of a German book "Money oder das 1x1 des Geldes" ... its targeted audience is kids, but it is NOT too childish and I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn about personal wealth ...
  • MoMo
    MoMo wrote:
    @Zhaohong 女生看《不生病的纪律》也是很好的~看起来比较容易~~~~~查阅比较简单~
  • Notoro Kawabata
    some plays i've enjoyed from Brecht
    "The Good Person of Sichuan" and "The Threepenny Opera"

from Raymond Carver. "Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?" (different to everything u've read before and possibly u will hate him).

• Iain Bonner
    Iain Bonner wrote:
    interestingly they just released new book from Carver (he's been dead some 20 years) and apparently they show that a lot of his stories were heavily changed by his editor, creating that minimalist, cold style he was associated with. a lot from 'What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" etc

they have published his originals, alongside the edited versions. i haven't seen it yet, so can't comment much. but want to get my hands on it.

• Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    Raymond Carver became somehow popular just in recent 3 years from Murakami maniac in China.

So for me, minimalism is nothing to do with reading Carver. I indulge, more in the way he told a story, seemingly simple and monotonous sentences, but suddenly punch me in the final sentences (or in the middle of somewhere. ) Or I love more the feeling of loneliness in his novels...or let's say, the so-called loneliness.

I read Where I'm Calling From: Selected Stories, the original version. But I should frankly say, I feel the same like when I read another one, Cathedral.
  • MoMo
    MoMo wrote:
    《当下的力量》 张德芬译。这书卖的挺火的。
    推荐 krishinamutri 所有的书,看完以后收益颇多。你也可以去看看他的传记。
    灵性就是不偏向于任何一种宗教的自我认识的过程,关键就是在于认识自己。其实跟宗教要传达的最终教诲是一样的。我是这么理解的。呵呵。可以去看看~
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    恩?我妈妈好像推荐过我这本书。
    原来spirituality是“身-心-灵”吧?这我老妈的最爱。。。。。
    她还让我看胡因梦翻译的《改变,从心开始》。。。。。。。。。。
  • MoMo
    MoMo wrote:
    对,是。内地好的身心灵书籍都是胡因梦和张德芬翻译的。
    《改变,从心开始》是把人的业力和身体的脉络联系起来的一本书。很不错。如果你喜欢占星学,也可以看胡因梦翻译的《当代占星学》只有台湾有买,可以上淘宝~~呵呵,看完才知道,到底什么是占星。都很科学。
  • MoMo
    MoMo wrote:
    可是易经难懂。如果看的话,你去看看有本书叫《易经的奥秘》很有趣。
  • Notoro Kawabata
    Cronopios and Famas by Julio Cortazar

"Anyone who doesn't read Cortazar is doomed. Not to read him is a serious invisible disease which in time can have terrible consequences. Something similar to a man who has never tasted peaches. He would quietly become sadder . . . and, probably, little by little, he would lose his hair. " -- Pablo Neruda
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    Fede, are you a culture promotor?

Cortazar, Todo Los Fuegos el Fuego...
    i all the time shock about the name of this book. amazing spanish! and the translated version into Chinese is wonderful too: 万火归一.
    But I should say, I don't like this book...unfortunately.

Neruda is so funny, can't believe! I though he should be that kind of person, sentimental all the time.....
  • Iain Bonner
    Iain Bonner wrote:
    Yeah Carver is a great storyteller. his short fiction is so sharp, hauntingly so.

i just read the article today about this new book. apparently the editor changed some of the meanings also. changed whole sections around etc, he had a strong vision. but like i say i have seen it yet.

there is another book i have read from him that has some autobiographical essays called: Fires. i think. some of them are heartbreakingly good. also very interesting to read about his creative process, and the life he lead.

man, he had so many more stories and poems in him before he died. have you read the poem about when the doctor tells him he has a brain tumor ? amazing
  • Iain Bonner
    Iain Bonner wrote:
    ha, i love that Neruda quote. both are beautiful writers. oh i want to go read them right now
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    exactly Iain!!!
    Carver's poem is wonderful for me too. I guess all his short stories have a poem heart inside, that's why they are different from Heminway or Turgenev. I remember he said the same in an interview, he said his works are more closed to poem than short stories.
  • Iain Bonner
    Iain Bonner wrote:

yes his stories definitely have a poem inside, well said yuki.

he devoted himself to poetry in his last few years... it was probably a more immediate way he could say what he wanted

i am eternally grateful for what we have. but what i would give for some more Carver writing....
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

做单... recommended for anyone doing IT, sales and marketing related work, but not for anyone from BCLU or BLCU ...
  • Joakim Berg Solum
    I know it's an older book and sort of a difficult read, but one of my favorite books of all time is "The Prince" by Niccolò Machiavelli. The book is political in nature, and is sort of a commentary on the actions of medieval leaders, especially Florentine ones... but the real hook is not so much the political commentary, but the life lessons that it teaches you. Machiavelli's way of analyzing actions based almost strictly on a means-justify-ends method is method that touched me and truly improved me as a person. Machiavelli is straight up my hero.
  • 李子倩
    李子倩 wrote:
    张德芬:遇见未知的自己,也挺好的。
  • Keysy
    Keysy wrote:
    Red Dust (红尘) by Ma Jian (马建) is a great story of a Beijinger's 3 year journey around China after getting tired of life in the capital.
  • Don
    Don wrote:
    My friends say "You (me) are a damn f**king genius,you don't need to learn or read"......
    so,if anyone wants to read something ,READ ME........

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.