Discussion » Dating & Romance » Dating questions for women

• TonyDice
    TonyDice wrote:
    A colleague is doing a newspaper article about online dating. He asked me to pose these questions for any female users to answer as and if they wish.

1) Why are you signed up to 'We Live In Beijing'?

2) what is the criteria you use to decide if you want to go on a date with a guy who approaches you?

3) Do you have any interesting stories of the tactics Western men have used to try and get you to go on a date with them?

4) Why do you think attractive and intelligent Chinese women use dating sites?

PS I know this isn't a dating site as such, but loads of girls get unsolicited approaches (though not from me!) so seems fair to ask.

Peace! Thanks!

• TonyDice
    TonyDice wrote:
    They're just some simple questions, like you'd get in any normal survey. There's no preconceived agenda, nor is there "another Gaffe" (what was the first?)

K?
  • Thao Tran
    Thao Tran wrote:
    Getting bored, wanted to take a look at this website.

2) what is the criteria you use to decide if you want to go on a date with a guy who approaches you?
    firstly, good-looking. secondly, can have creative topic with me and show his interest more, not just ask some stupid questions. for most chinese, its very hard to do it, sorry.

3) Do you have any interesting stories of the tactics Western men have used to try and get you to go on a date with them?
    sure, but too long to share here, maybe i should check my mailbox. i believe if girls put more cool pics they will be approached more.

some are getting bored for reality's men, some just not sure is it works, and then taking a look and found out interest.
  • Xx
    Xx wrote:
    because of the Norway twins?someone sent me a link. when i signed up.wlib was not so...
    1\he is kind
    2\he is interesting
    3\he is sexy
    1\he said that he thought "women with glasses are very sexy "
    2\he said he was attracted by my attitude not sexual
    3\ he said he was not a nice guy but wanted to be nice to me

sorry, i don't know..i have no interest in women
  • TonyDice
    TonyDice wrote:
    Thanks for your help.

slightly more helpful than "I think I fall in love!"
  • Lola Harder
    Lola Harder wrote:
    Someone invited me and I do live in Beijing
    Initial impression, how attractive he is, if he seems friendly, if I sense any ulterior motives, what he is wearing at the moment
    Not anything out of the ordinary
    They are fun and it's always interesting to see what kind of reactions you get from people on the sites.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    1. I signed up because Pete told me about this site when I was at D-22 listening to some hardcore punk bands. I do live in Beijing.

2. If a girl approaches me it is usually to slap me. If she asks me on a date I usually say no.

3. I once had a girl stalk me in order to get a date. I was flattered, but I said no. Interesting situation though.

4. I do not use this site to date. Actually I do not look at it as a dating site. It is a social networking site. Its just that some people can only meet people on the web because they do not have the personality required to break the ice in person, or they are just too busy. Most guys here are not too busy because many just get on here because of all the beautiful women lol. I have had many people I meet tell me that they only get on here to meet women and that is it. Be a victim if you want, but just realize most foreigners just stay in China short term. BTW I like this site because it is full of cool outgoing people.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I was interviewed for this article earlier today. Here are my responses: maybe you (WLIB users) will find them interesting:

Q: As a moderator, do you think we are seeing a rise in people trying to make contact/date using online options like weliveinbeijing?

A: It's only natural when males and females are interacting in an online environment to try and get to know one another intimately.

Q: Would you agree, particularly with sites like your own, that the majority of activity comes from western men in Beijing trying to date Chinese women?

A: I'm not sure what you mean in terms of "the majority of activity." (Front page views? Forum discussions? Article views?) Seventy percent of our users are Chinese, most of whom reside in Beijing. We don't really know what they talk about amongst themselves, considering private messages are, well, private. A cursory look at our forum will reveal that conversations are multinational and tend to drift between the typical "I'm a foreigner and wonder why Chinese people do this" to some more asinine topics.

Of course there are Western men who spam female users with cookie cutter "hey baby" messages, but we usually neutralize the problem quickly. Many permutations are applicable: Western men chat up Chinese men, Chinese females chat up Western males. People talk.

While some members of our community get to know each other online and later meet in person, we would like to stress that weliveinbeijing.com is not a dating website, but an online community and resource center. Think of it as Slate meets Facebook.

Q: Do you have rough figures for;

(a) the amount of hits your site gets a week/month on the dating/classifieds?

Q: We don't have personalized ads, if that's your question.

(b) how many people put up profiles of themselves a week/month?

A: About 40 members join the community per day, on average. The figure fluctuates depending on how heavily we promote the site on any given weekend.

Q: Do you have to take down many classifieds because they are inappropriate?

A: Our classified section is primarily for housing and employment. We rarely encounter inappropriate housing and employment ads.

Q: Just generally, do you have any thoughts on the changing ways in which dating/romance in Beijing is developing?

A: Since I moved to Beijing in mid-2006, I've noticed that Chinese females have become more assertive and less obsequious towards Western men. Good for them! And of course, the rise of social networking websites has made meeting your fellow Beijing residents easier than ever before. I think both trends will continue in the future.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.