Discussion » All non BJ languages » Something silly, not for the faint hearted

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) wrote:

This is rather trivial, but it had been bugging me for 2-3 years ...

A few years ago, I had the honor and pleasure (and fun and frustration etc) of helping a few engineers to cram for their interviews with our clients, which was supposed to be conducted in English ...

I cannot be exactly sure how the discussion actually started, but being an IT company, I think the word "file" popped up in the conversation, and being the "royal pain" that I was, I started asking them to repeat these 4 words: file, fire, fine and five, and what I have got in return was 4 nearly identical pronunciation ...

Therefore, here's something very simple ... for anyone whose mother-tongue is NOT English ...

Try to say these two set of words, and maybe record them ... and then check if they came out to be distinctively different, or nearly identical:

1. file ... fire ... fine ... five

2. collection ... correction ... connection ...

Feel free to write any comment, or add any new groups of words ...
  • wrote:
    Easy to pronounce and differentiate their pronunciations.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... that's what I thought too until I taught my colleagues ... I felt like Henry Higgins when I heard them say those words ...
  • №❶ Passioη
    hehe Chinese have a similar version for you - quite tough

四不是十,十不是四,十四不是四十,四十不是十四
    Si bu shi shi, Shi bu shi si, Shi si bu shi shi si, Shi si bu shi shi si
    ("4 is not 10, 10 is not 4, 14 is not 40, 40 is not 14")

If you can quickly say that 8 times with no mistakes, welcome to China :)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I can never get my 4 and 10 correct ... but I think you are in the wrong category, right?
  • №❶ Passioη
    hehe English version: "she sells sea shells"

say that 60 times hehe - 1 second for each..

so you should say 60 in a 1 min recording ;)
  • Winnie
    Winnie wrote:
    i hate to pronouce niu nai and niu liu and there are bunch of other words i need to think about to pronounce. but i got to correct a colleague whenever she says nv ren. thats funny
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    老奶奶上楼打牛奶 People Please this with me....
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I have, as always, lost control ... let's stick with English pronunciation for the moment, shall we?
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    Peter Bought a bit of Better Butter,

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.