Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » 离巢鸟 Empty Nest

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) wrote:

Simple question ... if you have that choice, would you live with your parents (or parent) when they are more than, say, 70 years old?

Me: yes, but right now, I do not have that choice

==========================================

I was reading from China Daily this morning that a lot of people in their 60's are now living but without their kid(s). The article blamed that on the one-child policy, which I did not agree.

Per Chinese tradition ... phrases such as 子孙满堂 or 三代同堂(或四代,或五代) represents the mindsets (or wishes) of living with the kid(s) and their kids. And for an old man (or old lady) to be living alone, with no one to look after, it's considered a certain taboo in the society.

Some complications to consider:

1. Your spouse (or partner or better half)
    2. Your spouse's parent(s)
    3. Issues related to your kid(s)
    4. Financial reason
    5. Health reason
    6. Others ...

• Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    @DD: part of 2
    5 in a measure
    but i dont think 4 is a problem, becoz retired senior citizens' welfare better than office worker in china. It's true , That can be to prove ......
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

My dear B ... the question here is whether you will live with and look after your parents, and those are some of the factors to consider ...

Good night
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    I can't stand 3 hours under the same roof as my mother. That would never happen. But I suppose I could live with my father if he needed help.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Peter, I would like to think that each of us is influenced by the people around us ...

I found it interesting that despite how much we said we dont like certain behaviours or habits of our parents (or certain people in our lives), we actually grow into it ourselves ... e.g. it frightens me that I now possess one or two annoying habits of my father-in-law, and we dont get along very well, hahaha ...

Another example ... when I hold those Chinese tea cups (those without the handle), my little finger would often point straight out, and that is a habit of the youngest of my 8 uncles ... but my mother hated it, hahaha ...
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    I will.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.