Discussion » Nonsense » Does this term "OPEN MIND" regarded as an offense

• C.Chaud
    C.Chaud wrote:
    Well the thing is, one of my Chinese friend got mad at me yesterday because i told her that she is very open mind. At first i didn't realize that she was mad bcuz were having dinner together with some other friends as well. Well having a conversation about what's goin on tru out the world just as regular topic economy politics etc..., she really surprised me bcuz she defended her ideas with relevance and I told her that " you are really open mind" suddenly i noticed a big change in her behavior. Back home she sent me sms saying" please next time don't tell me I'm open mind in front of my friends". Well I'm really confused about that, are we living in another world, I really don't know what's going on here. Need some highlight please.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Dare I ask ... "open mind" was said in English or in Chinese? If in Chinese, which words were used?
  • C.Chaud
    C.Chaud wrote:
    I just told her " X??? you are really open mind" whatever english or chinese the translation should be the same isn't it? in Chinese should be Kai fang ( 开放). What the hell is wrong with that word guys. lot of misunderstanding here :-(
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    eish..I would as well have the same confusion as you are...but as I have eventually learned with people of the country we are living in now...its much more advisable to respect what she warned you with...these things are related to so much that would take us long to understand....but of course people are trying to work so hard to open up and understand what we really mean when we say things to them....i might not be the person in a good position to give u the right answer but i can give u a good hint which is....try to take her that way and understand her and just do what she asked u...I am sure she mentioned something like "we are living in different worlds here" somebody else will see it not a problem but someone will look at it as a big offence....it all depend on how she understand it
  • C.Chaud
    C.Chaud wrote:
    you got the point FMS she exactly told me that " we are living in different worlds here'" adding you foreigners " lao wai 老外 are open mind, but Chinese are not. I thought there was wrong with my english and I went back home to consult my dictionary again to check if the word Open Mind has another meaning or if the definition of that word has been changed but to my surprise everything is intact nothing has been changed.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... my own interpretation speaks otherwise ...

"Open minded", as you said, is translated to "开放" in Chinese ... I cannot speak for everyone, but when I heard that being addressed to a girl, I would normally associate two things with this, and "sex" (or sexuality) would definitely be one of them, the other being "frankness" ... and my guess is that your lady friend might have thought the same (or similar), and was upset because the other friends might have also got similar interpretation ...

There are many words in each culture that might seem OK to "outsiders", but otherwise taboo to the locals ...

Hope that helps ...
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    in my mind being open minded is to be so flexible and tollerant to almost everything appropriate to most of the people...and in the end u will have a clear and a reasonable understanding about almost everything that comes...(in my opinion: in china being open minded its more like a sex offence and disrespecting someone's privacy...its like stripping their innerself which they are trying to preserve until the right time) which is as well important just a little effort needed here not to overreact when someone says that....
  • C.Chaud
    C.Chaud wrote:
    but the thing is people should have a discernment of spirits and a critical mind. So i think it's not a problem of culture or stuffs like that. Maybe between Chinese it won't be tolerate to speak out that word, but i'm a foreigner if i say that to that girl it was just to make her happy. For this kinda situations she could at least talk to me kindly so I won't do it next time. Well at first i though it was only her problem but some other friends faced the same kinda issue. China is fully part of this world and to be OPEN MINDED is recognized to be a good word but not an offence so why this term caused a lotta misunderstanding in here???
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... that's why I said in the other thread that Chinese is generally not tolerant, or perhaps just not very considerate, but it seems that most people prefers to say/hear nice things even if it might be a lie ... by the way, I am Chinese from foreign land ...

Politically and economically, or even military wise, China is definitely part of the world, but as far as cultural gap and tradition is concerned, there is still a lot of work to be done to cross the bridge ...

The laptop battery is nearly flat ... time for lunch anyway ... till later ... :)
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    In Spain, -open mind- .... we use this expresion when the sexual behavior of other person in very ´open´, exchange couples, ¨experimental games¨, bisexualality, open relations and all these things. Spain is not China, but in these two countries the tradition has an important weight, so maybe also here has this meaning, this use, i don´t know
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    but i thought its the mind that is said to be open...of course to everything...including all sort of sexually related things or behavior but the mind is so open to better understanding and more intelligence...isn't it? ranging from sports politics fashion entertainment social activities. development..war and crime and so on and not every mind is capable of accomodating all these at the same time of course but at least to have an idea of all this is a key to an open minded person....on my personal scale i see the word open minded being 65%good and 35%bad... and positive person will always think of the remarks made to them in the good way and take it as a compliment...and a negative person will think of it in a bad way and will be dissapointed and eventually get sad
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    @FMS Abisai. Yes, I undertand you, and i´m agree with these ideas. But in Spain, the costume of words for these ideas, -open mind-, is not a good expresion for say to a woman (believe me, never say this to a spanish woman XD). Ideas/words maybe the problem is only in the words, in the expresion.
  • Shane
    Shane wrote:
    Haha she probably picked it up from the casual encounters section of craigs list or the beijinger......
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    not in my case, my friends all the time said I am OPEN-MINDED, and we all take it as compliment.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

One new point to make here ...

This situation (or confusion or misunderstanding or gap), plus many, many more similar cases, will still be around for a few more decades in China, and it would be unrealistic to expect that to change within this generation ...

So it might be easier for the minorities (i.e. the foreigners) to know and accept such as part of the culture ...

Lunch was good :)
  • Nixul
    Nixul wrote:
    every word has meaning in its context.
    the context here is Oulalalala was really positively surprised bout that girl who was relevant when she was developing on the topics which they was chattin bout. So if OPEN MINDED comes here it should be a great compliment as Yuki said lately. To my own opinion that girl really didn't need to get mad about that. If it was in another context I'll strongly agree with that girl.
    Well what I'm asking now is, could someone tell me what is the most appropriate word we can use in China to describe someone who is very OPEN MINDED without makin any confusion in his her mind which could hurt him or her?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

If you think "open minded" might perhaps be the wrong phrase for praise, I would recommend phrases such as "well read" or "well educated" ... i.e. try not use a general phrase, but something a bit more specific ...

One major difference between the Chinese and English languages: the same English word (or phrase) has different meanings when used in different context (similar to what Poet G said), whereas Chinese tend to be have specific meaning ...

I am not 100% correct about this, but it should be close ...
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    haha...yep, context is important,
    I once go to a fortune teller. He said," in future, You will have one husband, one lover, and one soul mate....you are symbolic of MR Jiang Ze Min's 3-Represents idea,open-minded, changing with time, innovation....."
    他说,你会有一个老公,一个情人,一个红颜知己,全面实践三个代表精神,解放思想,与时俱进。。。。。。我发誓,这是原话!!!
    i guess in such context, open-minded means I had a bitch face....
  • Cuteangelalice
    well, " open mind " is depends what kind of conversation , and i thnk you mentioned that topic is fine, she should not reaction maybe she just unhappy for other small things . or she was misunderstood of your meaning..........

And depends her english the ranking too . If she can speak english as well. then she could understood the meaning of "open mind" .......
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

My guess is that, the conversation during dinner was mainly in English, so it is unlikely that this girl does not know English ... knowing the language does not guarantee that she knows the "intention" of saying it ...
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Actually, I could understand someone thinking 'open-minded' referred to sexuality. I could also understand someone understanding it as 'stupid', as well as the normal 'liberal' meaning.
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    @Oulala: why not have a try "you are open mind" switch " you are not a traditional girl" and you will see how she doing. .....0(∩_∩)0
  • C.Chaud
    C.Chaud wrote:
    Blair Waldorf I don't quite understand what you trying to say here?
  • Joe
    Joe wrote:
    opened minded in Chinese (specially for girls) equal to sluggish, sexually open and disgrace...not classy, not traditional..so..you should be very careful with the word and to whom you are referring to..they may speak english,,doesn's mean they understand the history or true meaning of the word...culture difference..and the worst part is that you said it in front of her friends who may not be as open as her and taking the meaning exactly as I mentioned above..good luck...
    . wrote:
    To Yuki 锎, the 3-Represents idea is f**king awesome!!

To Oulalala, no need to bother urself. She just thinks too much. I have received a lot of CV from our Chinese volunteers and most of them described themselves as open-minded. In Chinese, 开放 is not a bad word too.

Still, I suggest that you should explain to her what you actually meant. Language misunderstanding sucks.
    . wrote:
    To Joe,

I am a Chinese girl (lady, or whatever) and I learned linguistics back in uni, and I cannot agree with you. sluggish?disgrace?? Never heard of it. In some context, 开放 does mean sexually easy. But in general, it is not a negative word.
  • C.Chaud
    C.Chaud wrote:
    Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Shayla Yin
    Well next time I'm going to interview a Chinese I'll try to ask her or him whether she or he is Open minded。
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    lol .@oulala:u really dont understand? well, if you really don't just forgot it as i was joking here. but i have to say if you spoken out it already, how to draw back ? and it's past remedy. just remember she says " Next Time Don't Tell Me I'm Open Mind In Front Of My Friends" is very simply. just do it if u r meet up and not too much reason actually. ⊙﹏⊙b

~\(≧▽≦)/~

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.