Discussion » Film & TV » AVATAR

• Sab
    Sab wrote:
    I suggest to find the 3D IMax theater in Beijing to watch it.
    Incredible new technology of 3D invented by Cameron.

Will you watch it?
  • 子新 王
    子新 王 wrote:
    5,000,000,000$ already......
  • Saravana K
    Saravana K wrote:
    I'd definitely go watch it..

And anyone planning to go to an IMax, i'd suggest that u get there early and make sure u get tickets for seats in the middle/back rows. You'd sprain ur neck watching an iMax movie from one of the front rows.. :)
  • Shane
    Shane wrote:
    I'm totally pumped for that movie.... It comes out Jan. 2nd, right?
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Definitely will watch it in cinema! Yes, Shane, it comes out on Jan, 2nd in China.
  • Sab
    Sab wrote:
    UME NO.44, 44 Shuang Yu Shu Ke Xue Yuan South Road, Haidian Beijing 100086
    北京市海淀区双榆树科学院南路44号, 双安商场对面, China 010-82115566‎

map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?source=ig&hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=imax+in+beijing&fb=1&hq=imax&hnear=beijing&view=map&cid=12327497273987929085&iwloc=A&ved=0CBoQpQY&sa=X&ei=eboxS4_YBZDOoATas8HmCA
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    There is an another UME just near my neighbourhbood, haha.

• Rachel
    Rachel wrote:
    expecting
  • Jamie Wen
    Jamie Wen wrote:
    Somebody have a UME member card? It's necessary to book tickets.
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    woo Grace . I love WanDa so much.
    but not sure yet where i go watch that movie...Here many cinema i can choice.
    I will see .
  • Sab
    Sab wrote:
    This movie is made with a new technology of 3D filming. It is hardly recommended to see it in an IMAX 3D theater, regular theaters cannot shows the 3D effect of the film.

Critics say that the scenes are incredibly real, you feel the real depth to look into the cliff, not like Harry Potter what was partly used 3D this movie is full time 3 dimensionally made. The milieu of the movie is very accurately created just like it was in the Star Wars IV...
  • Alicia WANG
    Alicia WANG wrote:
    don't like 3D movie....
  • Sab
    Sab wrote:
    this won't make you feel dizzy! Try, they say its awesome :)
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    @ all: go goooooo watch the 3D version if you can...it will blow your mind
    Great storyline, fantastic graphic design i thought

yes Sab totally agree
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    @Sheryl : like shane says It comes out Jan. 2nd 2010.
    Hopeeeeeeeeeeees of sooner or later......:P
    Btw Merry Xmas !
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Updated news: For some reason, Avatar will come out on Jan 4th in China.
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    Fucking wait.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Now available on Funshion ...
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    okay /// go////////....................
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Dont worry about it ... it is a TS version, and neither the dialog nor the subtitle is in English ... i.e. cannot understand a word about it ... heehee ... sorry ...
  • Turkmenbaschi
    Turkmenbaschi wrote:
    it is impressive with 3d, saw it last monday. freaking awesome. story is easy as well, but the great thing is just the fuckign cool images!
  • Peiyi Jia
    Peiyi Jia wrote:
    it will be on tmr!! I'll definitely go watch it!!
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    Oh yeah, Avatar SEE YA TONIGHT 22:35 3D cinema ¥85/one!!! ;p
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    Advise watch IMAX 3D !
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

The Avatar DVD, ¥5 ... knowing that we have saved ¥80, priceless ...
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    but different feeling ! and I'll choose the cheaper ticket (abt 23:00pm:-(
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I am listening to RTHK2 from Hong Kong...

They said that one of the cinemas is doing a 4D show ... it means that if you sit in the front 3 rows, you could faint from seeing the 3D efeect of the movie ... and so for security reason, people are not allowed to sit there ...

There is a rumor that there is a sex scene in the movie, but you will not see it with the 3D glasses, or any special glasses ... it had been cut from the movie ...

Hahahaha ... just some silly things to help with your digestion ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Correction about the news of 4D in Hong Kong ...

There is REALLY a cinema in Hong Kong doing 4D (apparently, it is close to the airport, but I am not sure about the exact location), where at certain time, they will release smoke, smell etc to make the audience "feel" that they are really there ...
  • Christine
    Christine wrote:
    UME 3D IMAX is so good, you would not feel dizzy if you remove the glasses for a short break. Say it, when Jack(the leading actor) is no longer be his avatar and back to the human base, it is the right time to let your eyes relax.
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    @Thorstan: I have seen that movie already in IMAX , and yes as for the movie "avatar " directed by James Cameron is really really good, gantasitc design great storyline and amazing graphic ......like sheryl zhong said: " half way through it all I can think of is "alien sex, alien sex, alien sex", luckily they didn't go into too much details there (thank god)
    And I was disappointed at the 3D effects, maybe it's where I was sitting (near the edge), everything close up was really blurred and half of the time I wasn't even aware of the 3D (I watched it in a proper 3D cinema)
    So go and see it in 2D it won't be any less impressive"
    lol....
    But you hard to get a ticket at a time in the cinema unless you ordered in advance.
    My friends was help me got a employee interior ticket , aha, great and cheaper.
    Anyway go to watch the 3D version ... you wont regret it!!!
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    oki we are looking forward to ur point of view afterwards
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    After watching this film, you will know barbaric demolition only happens in exoplanet and China.
  • Candy Q
    Candy Q wrote:
    the UME IMAX is not real IMAX
    there's only 3 IMAX screens in beijing, the best one is in the movie museum, freaking far away~~so I settled with a normal 3D cinema, LOVED it.
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Where are the 3? I'm not incredibly familiar with Beijing but I'll be heading in tomorrow for a few days and want to try to watch it then.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Barbaric demolition? Not only in China ...

We watched the DVD last night, I can see what's all the fuzz about ... using mainly a blue blackground, all the white and gold stands out due to very sharp contrast ... otherwise, the 3D effect might not have been such a big deal ...

• Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    a big deal ? yep DD we just talk abt the graphic amazing and chinese director have to cry up it @
  • Olaf G.
    Olaf G. wrote:
    Good visual effects, but one of the most uninspiring stories i have seen in the last 5 years (and i have seen many). Wonder how can you invest so much money into the technic and never think about a good story with at least a bit of a deeper meaning. For me this movie is a lost chance. But Cameroon has never been a good director.
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    btw I really love the hero- by Sam Worthington ...COOL
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... does anyone think that he talks like Mel Gibson?

By the way, there are more 3D movies coming soon, two of them are made in China ...
  • Serena
    Serena wrote:
    I already watch it not so bad
    haha!~
    @ 叮噹 do you have the 3d movies name?
    when ?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Stella ... I am sorry that I cannot find them online, but if I remember correctly, one of them should be a 西游记 cartoon ... if you happen to wonder around Oriental Plaza, you might see some posters in the cinema ...
  • Serena
    Serena wrote:
    @叮噹 don't say sorry haha
    really ? maybe i missed them
    o(∩_∩)o..
  • Minnie Hu Yang
    Very entertaining. The only part that I did not like was when the holy trees were pulled out by a bulldozer(it felt a bit fake). Went last Sat to the Museum. Not too exciting inside the building though, Huaxing might be better for couples.
  • ❤Pinkbubble❤
    watched twice.Very good.I cried when Jake said I see you to his girl and she replied I see you
  • Shaney
    Shaney wrote:
    Just saw the midnight show.Crazy!!!

The spirits of the scientists(probably Anthropologists) and soldiers in it are pretty INSPIRING, the adoption of a reflective way when referring to human kind and our home planet is courageous though. The love story is beautiful and the pictures are impressive as well:).
  • Lynn Gu
    Lynn Gu wrote:
    Three Imax * 3D theaters are all too far away from my home......and I am scared of crowd.....maybe go to the cinema in early Feb
    . wrote:
    Gonna book tickets of 3D IMax after I get back to Beijing.
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    @yep shayla, u better order it advance online !
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    wow It's awful ... but still going up
  • Jonathan
    Jonathan wrote:
    I have already watched it~so great~
  • Lucia
    Lucia wrote:
    I have watched in Tailand , 23,Dec,2009.I love to watch it in beijing again.
  • Save Our Planet
    The key point of Avata, sort of, is to predict the future fate of earth. If you look at our environment, nuclears, oils, global warming today, energy resources soon will dry out and we as human being have to risk to exploit new energies. I can't imagine how the year of 2099 will look like.
  • Save Our Planet
    The popularity of Avatar will put 3D TV on the map for consumers.
  • Save Our Planet
    "I might be biased because I started feeling nauseous during the last half hour of the film and there was someone smoking around us"

Sorry to hear that.

1. Is it legal for people to smoke inside a theater here?
    2. What is suggested if someone is smoking inside the theater?
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    (I might be biased because I started feeling nauseous during the last half hour of the film and there was someone smoking around us)

Loved the visuals, thought the story could have been better.

I think it could have been split into two or three longer movies. I don't really think they developed the characters very well because there was so much plot to cover in addition to whoring out the 3d visuals with closeups of scenery. The result was I didn't really engage with any of the characters and I think the love-part wasn't expanded on enough: suddenly, she goes from grudgingly hating the guy to kissing him.

I think it felt too much like a mindless action film, which I guess is just targetting the broadest audience. But I think the people that complain about the plot probably do so for this kind of reason.

Action films work on the idea of there being a clear distinction between good and evil, and the evil is just that way with little justification other than just being 'evil'. It's simple, you don't have to think too hard about it and the film pretty tells you everything you need to know, straight up. So the company guy just wants more money and the Colonel just wants to kill things, whereas I think more interesting films partly justify the ways of the antagonists or at least track their descent into darkness.

• Notoro Kawabata
    i liked so much Nausicaa. If they can control that technolgy that is dizzy-ing but spectacular, we will have great movies in the future.

Blurry is the new on focus !
  • Belle Wang
    Belle Wang wrote:
    i saw it on sunday hehe it s great ! the story s just ok, but it leaves us cool image ! hehe, btw i don't really know much about the technology - 3d , so i think i should do some research about it hehe
  • 爱米粒Emily
    Saw it tonight, eventually.
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:

I saw the 67th 2009 Golden Globe Awards the best motion pic-drama is Avatar, and the best director-motion pic is Avatar's James Cameron, yes, absolutelly.

by cited http://www.goldenglobes.org/gallery/:After winning the category BEST ORIGINAL SONG – MOTION PICTURE for "The Weary Kind (Theme From Crazy Heart)" for “Crazy Heart”, Music By: Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett and Lyrics By: Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett. T Bone Burnett displays his Golden Globe backstage in the press room at the 67th Annual Golden Globe Awards at the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, CA Sunday, January 17, 2010.

• Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    http://www.goldenglobes.org/videogallery/video/50000/
  • Notoro Kawabata
    that censorship people is really sensitive !

'Avatar' pulled from 1,628 Chinese movie screens
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-china-avatar19-2010jan19,0,7087168.story
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    Its awesome I have to say again !!! lol that is chinese powerful ..............
  • Notoro Kawabata
    haha blair
    power to the people !!.....except the na' vis.
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    @Notoro: hawhaw..........
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    I wish I could get tickets to the imax 3D, but they are all booked! This movie earned so much already. I cannot even believe how popular it is. I have not seen it yet.
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    @Kodi: perhaps I can help get the ticket in IMAX but you need come to UMEcinema of Shuang Jing 双井 if you dont mind its far from you. ;-)
  • Siliconfish
    Siliconfish wrote:
    I saw it last week at MK2 paris. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!
    I guess i shouldn't have seen too many footages before...expected too much.
    But the 3d postproduction was surely overrated, i had much better 3D experience really...and thin plot..not mentioning the characters are not interesting at all..two gangs,human and navi, evil and good.
    I saw it with two friends.....When he tamed that flying creature,we had two words...pure rape...the plaits are just so sadistic....lol
    When he came back with that big red bird and all navis bowed their heads...also had two words...扯淡..

I don't think it worths the ticket...but we got entertained anyway...
    I was thinking probably exsits one site like this, and it does.
    http://avatarsucks.com/
    lol.
  • Kenneth Pettersen
    I just looooove this movie.

I would like to go to the Pandora Planet one day. Even in my dream...

I also dream of the romance like them.

I even made my AVATAR photo hehe
  • 雪地
    雪地 wrote:
    @ Notoro Kawabata:
    It will not be censored ^^ The dirty trick they are playing now is that there is a Chinese movie coming out soon, the ...

So they just cut off all competition to make the local production more successful.

They did this in the past a couple of times already, i remember that happen in 2006 also, not sure what the movie was, but all cinemas where fully booked, you could not get any tickets, then they pulled it off for the Chinese movie and all cinema where empty ^^
  • Minger
    Minger wrote:
    Save Our Planet wrote:

""I might be biased because I started feeling nauseous during the last half hour of the film and there was someone smoking around us"

Sorry to hear that.

1. Is it legal for people to smoke inside a theater here?
    2. What is suggested if someone is smoking inside the theater? "

1. It is not legal to smoke in a theater, but there is no enforcement of the rules and there are a lot of people are uncivilized, so I'm surprised I don't see more people smoking in theaters just like restaurants, office bathrooms, etc.
    2. Politely ask them to stop in a voice loud enough that everyone around hears. "您好先生,不好意思这里禁止吸烟,请把它熄灭". When the cigarette isn't extinguished, pretend you gave up, and go sit down in the seat directly behind the guy. Wait about three minutes, then put your right arm arm around his neck so the middle of his neck is at your elbow, grab your left bicep with your right hand, and push against the back of his head with your left hand while pulling both arms towards you and squeezing hard for about 10 seconds (not longer than 13 or you'll have other problems). The guy won't light another cigarette in the theater. He may need you assistance extinguishing the one he's dropped, which you can do by pushing it into the back of his head.
  • Kristian Dahl Fossum
    I'd definitely go watch it..
  • Joakim Lund Rangel
    good movie, not great.
  • Save Our Planet
    There were reports recently that young people expressing and feeling suicidal and depressed after watching Avatar.

The ending story was too good to refuse. They won the game from human and he is awarded to rebuilt the new world. If James could change the screenplay and rewrite the ending story where they lost the game and he or she (Navi) lost the life also, then I do believe people will find outlet by commiting suicide after watching.

• Timothy Wang
    Timothy Wang wrote:
    i watched it in Berlin imax in 3D...it was just AMAZING!!!! so so so good..
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I read about these numbers from today's China Daily ...

1. Avatar ... Jan 2010 ... 680 million yuans
    2. 2012 ... Nov 2009 ... 461 million yuans
    3. Transformers 2 ... June 2009 ... 455 million yuans
    4. Titanic ... 1998 ... 360 million yuans
    5. Transformers ... July 2007 ... 300 million yuans
    6. Kung Fu Panda ... June 2008 ... 173 million yuans ...

However, the article claims that Avatar is the most popular movie ever ... does anyone see a problem with this statement?
  • Sab
    Sab wrote:
    They already half way through to making the next part of AVATAR. No wonder it made the most income ever movie had, although this movie far not the best sci-fi I have ever seen still a technological breakthrough in some ways. George Lucas making the original Star Wars in 3D and many filmmakers intend to use this method to present their forthcoming movies.

"Avatar has sailed past Titanic to become the highest-grossing movie of all time. In just 47 days, Avatar has grossed $601.1 million, while Titanic made $600.8 million in its entire run and took 252 days to cross the $600 million mark.

With this milestone, Avatar has completed the triple crown of box office gross records: first, it topped the foreign-only chart on Jan. 23, then it reigned over the worldwide chart (foreign plus domestic) on Jan. 25, and now, as of Feb. 2, it resides atop the domestic chart. Its foreign haul has risen to $1.474 billion. Add in domestic, and its worldwide gross stands at an incredible $2.075 billion.

Breaking domestic down, nearly 81 percent of Avatar's gross is from 3D presentations. Normal 3D accounts for over 64 percent of the gross, while IMAX 3D accounts for more than 16 percent. That leaves the 2D theaters with an over 19 percent share of the gross."

81% of income from 3D presentation!!!! This is why everybody interested to make movies in 3D, as long as the hype stays. Easy money. It will be natural in the future, and then the plot and acting will count again :))
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    just wow
  • Sofia
    Sofia wrote:
    watched twice....
  • 张一驰
    张一驰 wrote:
    This movie is going to be a milestone of movie industry's history.
    It contains sci-fi, romance, action and even the revelation of humanity in it.
    What has amazed me about the movie even got its own language- the Na'vi language.

Director Jame Cameron went to see the language department's expert of USC to create a language for the Na'vi in the movie by combining some sort of tribe language of Ethiopia and Maois of Australia.

The impact of this movie is going to be just or even more like the Star Wars

I went to see this movie in 3D 4 times in 3 days. Last time i went there, my paternal grandparents and maternal grandfather, and my oldest uncle came with me. four senior citizens, they all loved it.

I just downloaded the movie from eMule yesterday
    I never get tired of this movie.

I see You
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Actually ... someone had already done 3D on TV ... Chuck, season 2, ep 12 ...
  • Sab
    Sab wrote:
    张一驰 : haha well, in Star Wars you can witness many many created languages, jawas, wookies, ewoks, droids.... I do not think this movie is far close to the success and appreciations of SW had. That was real, and this is a tale. But nice for sure.
  • Sasha 莎莎 Wang
    Oh my godddd, probably the greatest movie of all time!
  • Patrick Coleman
    got to remind you folks star wars is in the 70s without CG effects, and if we compare the earnings from avatar with the dollars equivalent at that time with regards to Inflation rate and ticket prices from the 70s to 2009 star wars still earn more than that, it got near Titanic but again you count the inflation rate and the cinema ticket price at that time.
  • Erik Tungland
    Erik Tungland wrote:
    that is the best 3D movie i just love it and never bored of it .
  • Lars Magnus Langholm
    quite long time. i went to toilet 3 times during i was watching it.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Another not-so-famous 3D movie ...

Brendan Fraser, Journey to the Centre of the Earth, released 2008 ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.