Discussion » Current Events » The Global Times: most progressive state media

• TonyDice
    TonyDice wrote:
    The Global Times (English edition) is a big step forward in Chinese print media. The Metro Beijing section regularly breaks stories about corruption, gangsterism and policy. They also publish the kind of irreverent, mischievous material normally only found in the West.
    I'd like to know what WLIB users think?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I've met the top brass at the publication and discussed their vision with them.

I think the GT has a promising future provided they beef up their website and improve their circulation numbers.

Some of their content is refreshing, but other sections are a bit shabby (gossip column, relationship column).

Just my 2 cents.
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    Yes it's a good read but the site architecture and design needs a massive overhaul. Needs some real SEO work done to it to.
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    Where's the article about the Shanghai transvestite hookers who were stealing money from drunk foreigners?
  • TonyDice
    TonyDice wrote:
    http://china.globaltimes.cn/society/2009-10/480338.html
    and there you are Richard

the website is due to overhauled in February I'm told.

For some reason, I can't read Yuki's post. I saw she was having a tirade against People's Daily. Which is fair - but this is a newspaper for Western consumption. It may fall within the auspices of PD but you'll get more open reporting on sensitive issues that you will anywhere else in China (and that includes this website eh chaps?)

The Wall Street Journal thinks so:

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2009/06/04/global-times-breaches-chinas-official-media-silence-on-tiananmen/

for China, that's a big deal.

btw, Pete, what's wrong with relationships? Have you not read Ask Alessandro...
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Alessandro is the GT's attempt at a Borat character.

Apologies if you work for the GT, but while imitation is a sign of flattery, that column is just embarrassing.
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    I said, GT is far away from MOST progressive. Reports on corruption are more and deeper in some other magazine and papers, e.g. 南方周末,财经,南都 and 新闻周刊,which are all respectable and full of social responsibility. (something I can't repeat here.) They can not only offer details but also with a strong and provident understanding on current China society.

Maybe yes when u think about media in English, but concerning to all Chinese media...

anyway, Just my personal opinion~
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Yuki, I agree with you. Quite a few Chinese newspapaer and magazines could offer such an insightful and profound reporting on most issues of Chinese society, including many topics which we can not discuss here. But maybe most foreigners haven't realized that since they can not read well in Chinese.

I used to like Global Times ( Chinese edition) when they only have two versions every week, but after they changed it to a daily newspapaer ( not including Sat & Sun), I feel the quality of the contents decreases alot...
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    Rob, just tell your web team to "Take inspiration" from the Guardian and you're sorted.
  • 王望魍
    王望魍 wrote:
    http://forum.globaltimes.cn/forum/showthread.php?t=8640&page=3
  • 王望魍
    王望魍 wrote:
    @yuki

"e.g. 南方周末,财经,南都 and 新闻周刊"

see: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5BC0BM20091213

for the sake of the more monied half of the G2, i hope what's happened to the editorial staff at 财经 doesn't happen with southern weekly.

and one can only hope that southern weekly ever builds up enough political clout to produce an english-language version. lord knows there's an army of people waiting to help out with that project.
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    Seriously, just copy the Guardian, or use any one of the umpteen slick looking free word press templates out there.

And change the font of the main body text. It's ok for print but it's tough on the eyes when reading online.
  • TonyDice
    TonyDice wrote:
    All true Dickie. We have a meeting tomorrow about it, and I love the GUnlimited...bear in mind we've only been up a few months and some Chinese don't realize that we're right about everything (when it comes to media website design)...

if you've seen a Chinese paper you'll see they have very different ideas of layout and graphic design.

good point Powers Ranger... English language edition changes the ball game, Yuki. So far no one's been sacked here or sent to a gulag for talking about h***n r****s a****e
  • 王望魍
    王望魍 wrote:
    h***n r****s a****e = hidden racist's asshole?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.