Discussion » Beijing Life » Beijing Markets: Questions

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Here's some back-story first:
    I was in Beijing over the weekend to shop for Christmas gifts to send home, and went to the Silk Market and some similar style markets with a Chinese friend. I'll keep it short though.

To the non-Chinese readers:
    1)What do you think of markets like this where you have to negotiate a price?

To the Chinese readers:
    1) Do you think these markets are better than shops/stores that have fixed prices and are non-negotiable?

I'm still not quite sure what I think of the experience. On the one hand, some of the staff there were really funny and good-humoured whilst trying to convince me to buy a suit to send back to the UK by mail! On the other hand, some staff were just ridiculously rude/stupid in trying to get me to buy things.

I do, however, think that it promotes a pretty negative image of Chinese business/people in that it legitimises the practice of trying to sell foreign people over-priced items near train stations or tourist destinations that you get in every country on a much larger scale.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

At this kind of place, I always say that you pay what you think is worth ... e.g. the boss (and his wife) of my wife's office came to Beijing in 07, and we took them to Silk Street ... he wanted to buy a men's silk pajamas for his son, the asking price was 350, his reply was 250 while I was going to suggest 150 ... so he bought at 250, and everyone was happy :)

My own rule is that I usually pay about one quarter (one-third max) of what they ask for, and it worked 90% of the time ...
  • Birk Refsum
    Birk Refsum wrote:
    i think this happens in many countries.in fact ,i treat it a very interesting thing,you can get more knowledge on china's cultrue and custom from this ,hope you enjoy your life in beijing.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.