• Bryan (賴宏杰)
    Bryan (賴宏杰) wrote:
    繁體中文 (traditional chinese). i'm curious about 大陸人 thoughts and opinions on this idea, as well as what anyone else thinks. I know that Taiwan (台灣), Hong Kong (香港), and Macau are the places that use it everyday. I feel that traditional chinese provides more insight to the pronunciation and meaning of words. I accept that simplified chinese may be more convenient to write, but I still like to use traditional chinese (繁體中文) as I think it is a wonderful part of Chinese culture and heritage.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

We've discussed it before, no clear conclusion. I can read traditional Chinese, but I cannot write, so what? "traditional" Chinese is nothing right or wrong, so just let it be there, so does its simplified counterpart. So does GB english, so does US english, and if someone feel like using Shakespear's language, ok, go ahead. I don't care abt it, whatever. I think a really awesome culture doen't depend on the language, it's far more than the lauguage, let along that what u said is not all abt the lauguage thing, just abt the character. Important? maybe, THAT important? i dont think so~

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hi Bryan, nice "meeting" you here ...

DF is correct in saying that there was previously a very lengthy discussion about Trad Chinese Vs Simp Chinese ... but I am very interested to see if anyone might bring up something new here, so let's see how it goes ...

If I could perhaps raise an analogy ... talking about Trad Chinese in a community where most people mainly uses Simp Chinese (including both the local folks and the foreigners), is like talking about whether right-hand-drive is better than left-hand-drive ... it is not going to change anything and more than likely, no one would agree with you ...

By the way, I came from Hong Kong, and I write in Trad Chinese most of the time, but I have to admit, I get lazy from time to time and I would write some characters in Simp Chinese ...

I do have a question, for those who grew up learning Simp Chinese:

Q: Did they teach you at school, about how Chinese characters were developed from 甲骨文? Just curious ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

My mistake ... not 甲骨文... I meant to say 象形文字... sorry about that ... heehee
  • Miriam Pedersen
    Sure, It's part of the teaching:

• Bryan (賴宏杰)
    Da Fan, I apologize, I didn't know there was a previous post about this, and I would like to read that. I never meant to imply that Traditional Chinese is in any way better, or to belittle Simplified Chinese. I'm just curious, as my classes were taught in Simplified Chinese, but I don't really follow that. I am a Traditional Chinese user, and in my experience, find Traditional Chinese to allow me to gain more than just being able to say I can write in Chinese. 我是一個美國佬。 Maybe it's from most of my Chinese friends being from or having connection to Taiwan and Hong Kong, and the fact that I go to ktv a lot, and everything I've encountered outside of class is in Traditional Chinese. I wish I had more mainland friends here, but in my city I can't seem to find more than a few who seem to want to become friends, whereas I've been able to easiy be accepted and welcomed in with the tw and hk students. I am aware that most all Mainland Chinese are capable of reading the Traditional Chinese, but few can generally write fluently in it. I do agree that culture is more than just language, and I truly love what I know about Chinese culture and would like to learn more. Again, I apologize if anyone has been offended, I didn't mean for this topic to have negative feelings.

But I can't help but wonder Da Fan, did you feel that this was like a Mainland China vs. Taiwan thing on my part? Because let me assure you, I didn't intend for that either.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.