Discussion » Nonsense » what did you and do you listen to ?

• Winnie
    Winnie wrote:
    I find it interesting that our taste of music changes!
    when i was about 15-22, i was mainly listening to r&b and hip-pop. i had no idea about (western) oldies(well, chinese music has no oldies..the old music is all about our country and stuff)
    then 22-25 i started to listen to some jazz, chill out music, solo panio, oldies, some r&b still..no hip-pop...no no

it's strange how this can change. i still remember when i was about 16 and my good friend's dad was playing some symphony at home. i couldnt believe ppl listen to that and years after now, i see myself going there very soon!

Is it because life was less excited and very stable and hip-pop raise your blood pressure which makes you feel good?
    but now, there's more stress as we grow older and we need something to calm down (like solo piano for me)?

what did you listen to?
    and now?
  • kö
    wrote:
    原来你什么都不想要 ---孙燕姿 (⊙o⊙)…
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Some music is related to age, mind set and behaviour ... whereas some is timeless ...

Winnie ... I have a whole collection of MP3 from John WIlliams if you are interested, including theme music from Jaws, ET, Superman and Star Wars ...

On the Eastern front, my fav is always 梁祝小提琴协奏曲 by 西崎崇子

• Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    Yep, I remember someone said before, there are different hints showing u are getting old...
    starting to listen to chill-out,jazz, louge is one of these.

But that's quite hasty to understand the taste changes like that. in my 15 ~ 22 I am a super fan of heavy metal, hard rock things. but later I fell totally in love with electronic, jazz, then trip-hop, each lasting for 2 years, now I listen to kinda everything...and i felt the bands I used to love a lot change a bit their style too...for one point both of us getting older, another point also when u become mature, u tend to mix styles and more tolerant to all~
  • Fahad Hashmi
    Fahad Hashmi wrote:
    change in ur taste of music dpends on ur mood i think ... n then comes the age factor.
    like i like hip hop n rock n r&b n every kinda music coz m young n n quite good mood... :P
  • Ed Legend
    Ed Legend wrote:
    Well I definitely have sort of a change, but it's not really "calming down" really though.

I used to listen almost exclusively to hip hop from around 11-16ish, a bit of metal but that was more outside influence rather than my personal taste. I started to like more electronic music around sixth form but didn't get into it in a big way until University.

I still am really, with electro house, prog. house, breaks and dubstep featuring heavily, although I've always liked some chill-out, slower hip hop and other such things as well.

I don't see the latter bit expanding excessively anytime soon - electro house can be calming too! ;P
  • Winnie
    Winnie wrote:
    Thanks, DingDao. big hug
    But i mostly listen to stuff online. it's so easy and i like not knowing what they play next,
  • Siliconfish
    Siliconfish wrote:
    I used to listen to those rock and heavy stuff, NIN, Rammstein,Smashing pumpkin...dark,gothic,england,american,european..u named it. Back to college myself've been keyboard player for 2ys......

But now i found human voice disturbing.lol Bizarrr huh..I feel like it destroys the harmony of the music. Now for i listen to basically pure instrumental pieces, my favourite instruments are cello and sitar. AHHH.drums,..of course...especially some ethnic percussions...fascinating.

I am living with this alright just sometimes feel a little bit...errr.... like i lost my edge or something.....Then on second though, all those listening experiences and music memories are running through my blood really ain't go nowhere. lol. maybe the heavy and hardcore thing will be back..like sheryl.lol
    So I believe music is actually riching and thickening our lives instead of changing them, at all.
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    My music tastes kind of went like this.

Michael Jackson > Then all kinds of cheesy pop > Cheesy Dance > Cheesy Trance > Very Hard Dance Music > Hippy Psytrance > House > Techy Electro > Minimal > Electro Rock > Now just about anything
  • Jochen
    Jochen wrote:
    die toten hosen,alle punk,bitte keine scheisse pop.
  • Molly
    Molly wrote:
    r&bs always
    i love Eminem's
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Started off with Pop and Indie in my pre-teenage years (My first CD purchases were made at the same time: What's the Story(Morning Glory) by Oasis made me a cool young boy, and Spice Girls album brought me down again!)

Migrated to Rap via The Fugees, Snoop Dogg, Eminem and Xzibit. Moved from that around the age of 15 to Foo Fighters, then to Linkin Park and Papa Roach. Moved quickly past Nu-Metal into Doom and Death Metal(My Dying Bride, Anathema, Opeth).

Spent a bit of time around 17 flirting with punk and punk-rock,. then went back to the Goth thing for several years with listening to a lot of EBM(think...Trance mixed with Sisters of Mercy) and some Trad Goth like The Virgin Prunes, The Mission, The March Violets and Sisters.

After university I started mellowing out into more generic alt-rock, the kind of music they play on Scrubs. I had a vague classical thing going on throughout all those movements and I got a lot more into classical last year, and now I listen to a lot of violin and cello music(in part because I'm just starting to learn the violin).

I still have all my music though...I've DJed a few times in the UK and if left to my own devices, my sets can be weird!
  • NN
    NN wrote:
    when I was still very young I mean at the teenage period,I listened many of the rap/pop/rock,even Jachey Cheung's songs,even it sounds like the 70s.And now,I just added the jazz/panio,but still not lose my interest of rap pop also rock.I think as long as the musics are nice,then it is OK!!!
  • 柯威
    柯威 wrote:
    god this topic makes me want to go back in time and kick my own ass
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    Wow, Sheryl, what's with all the hate? It normally takes people the best part of an hour of meeting me to get to that! I haven't heard of Final Fantasy actually, I've been out of the music-loop for awhile. I think the only few bands I remember liking that did alt. classical tracks were the Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Apocalyptica. I'll check it out.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.