Discussion » Nonsense » what are your attitudes towards "Assisted Suicide

• Aeropm
    Aeropm wrote:
    hi~i'm now doing a investigation for my paper. so feel free to write your views about
    assisted suicide .(pros &cons) ,thanx~~^_^
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I think it's great in almost every situation: Chronic, incurable illness? Go for it. Depressed? Cool. Regulate and tax it to stimulate the economy.
  • Lars Petter Grønningen
    pete ,so your opinon is that it depends on the person's ( who recieve the help)conditions , right?
    but it can make the judges so confused about whether the dead person had gave the permition or request.. so? how do people regulate?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I say it should be legalized and regulated and available to everyone who'd like to terminate his or her life for any reason whatsoever. Obviously a formal system would have to be implemented to ensure that no mistakes are made, and those choosing to undergo the process are doing so under their own volition.
  • Lars Petter Grønningen
    ok,got it~

has anyone thought about the morality issue?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I'm sure many people would see a moral issue in it (primarily those who adhere to religious thought). However, considering I find it immoral to dictate to another person what they can and cannot do with their life, I see nothing wrong with it. Considering the procedure could be regulated, taxed and used to generate revenue for cash-strapped regions, it very well be immoral not to legalize the procedure and distribute the wealth among folks who WANT to live.
  • John
    John wrote:
    I don't see a problem with it either. There's nothing wrong with saving the environment. We as a species consume entirely too much as it is.
  • Kcina
    Kcina wrote:
    i think suicide is a cowardice...
  • John
    John wrote:
    YOU think its cowardice, OTHERS may not, and it is up to others to decided what's best for their lives. I used to feel the same way but now I'm neutral. I don't think its good for MY life but I will no longer look down on OTHERS when THEY do it. What do we have to live for anyway? It's all a part of the imagination!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

My suggestion ...

You could consider interviewing terminal patients, as well as their families and loved ones, and I think they will agree with it ... the cost for ongoing treatment can be huge, easily 6 digits in some cases, and this can be a burden to a lot of families in China, but more importantly, there is the non financial suffering, the pain, the tears etc ...

I agree with it in principle but when I have to make that decision for myself, I cannot be sure ...
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Right. Let the folks who want to commit suicide do so. Those of us who enjoy the finer things in life can construct a legalized industry designed to benefit from their distaste of life. Everyone wins. Those wagging their moral fingers can sit on the sidelines and watch.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Someone want to end his/her live, let along the "right or wrong" thing, at leat it should be totally legal, coz I cannot figure out why it is illegal. As to the act of assistance of others' suicides, my opinion is, from the reasoning side, it should be legalized, but from the practical side, it's hard to regulate under certain circumferences. 1) A common situation is, someone is painful dying, and he/she cannot commite suicide by himself/herself, and he/she just want to end live quickly, then he/she can issue an "warrant" -- it's practical and morally uncontroversial. 2) someone is "out of conscious", like being a vegetable, and his/her kins want to end his/her live -- morally and legally controversial. 3) someone's mentally ill, and he/she want someone help him/her to end live -- can this be considered a perfect act? 4) someone is not THAT mentally ill, or someone's "NORMAL", and he/she want to end his/her live, but just cannot to do it by himself/herself, so request others' help -- we need some formal things, like a notarized warrant to make sure the assistant suicide is in full accordance with the suicider's will, but not a set-up murder, so the suicider need to go to a certain authority's office with the assistant, then fill a formal form, and sign it. Just think abt the scene, then here comes the question: as the suicider is so determined, why doesn't he/she just do it by himself/herself?
  • Kcina
    Kcina wrote:

just gave my opinion , i didnt  say that it shouldnt be illegal ...

• John
    John wrote:
    No problems man. It's just that oftentimes in the real world opinions are quite useless and are never helpful in solving real life issues. Everyone has the right to offer one though.
  • Kcina
    Kcina wrote:

or legal...

• Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:

If you're "suicidal" and need someone else to finish you off because you don't have the guts to do it yourself - there is something holding you back, right? suicidal people who need assistance is nothing but a bunch of dramaqueens if you ask me.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:
    It's a lot of glitches and insecurities in an assisted suicide. Let's say someone's declared braindead, or 100% lame, or other diseases where u r completely paralyzed and then unable to actually take ur life urself (in an eventual need of assistance which is the subject here).. if this person was filthy rich or a pain in the ass (e.g. to take care of), in possession of a healthy organ that someone else would die without, it could be possible that the request of assisted suicide is not 100% the related person's wish. There could be manipulation, threats, religious brainwashing etc reasons that makes the person agree on his/hers life being taken.

I dont know about u guys, but if anyone did an assisted suicide on me, I'd either get really pissed (if surviving it), or haunt the asshole.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... that's why some people set up this DNR thing in advance of such situation ...

Bringing in the "organ donation" might complicate the issue though ... it feels like talking about a piece of meat instead of a person ...
  • Fin
    Fin wrote:
    Hi, do you mean euthanasia or something else? The conception is so vague, and I even don't know what are we talking about.
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    I think people have right to end their lives if they are so determined to do that, but in most occasions, I don't think society should respect their decisions by assisting their suicides. Life is not like wealth, once you lost, you can never get it back.

Everyone has more of less mental and psychological problems. We just show them in different situations. When people feel depressed and no desire to live in this world any more, the first choice for them should go to Clinics instead of asking society's suicidal assistance. Society can never help people in this way just like we can never help our depressed friends to commit suicide.

If a person becomes a vegetable, I don't think his or her family members have the right to decide whether continuing this person's life or not. Some vegetable patients become conscious after long years coma and some vegetable people actually could feel something or everything, (doctors sometimes diagnosed wrongly about their dead brain) they just can't express their feelings and thoughts with any body movements or words.

In my view, there is only one situation that the society could possibly assent an assisted suicide: He has an incurable disease and suffers an unbearable pain in every minute and he expresses his will to die decently when he's confirmed to have a clear mind to make this decision. (Even in this situation, it's still very hard to practice in real life, I guess)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.