Discussion » Feedback & Suggestions » Just a couple of things

• DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    1: Whe I say I maybe attending and event, it actually says athat I am attending.

2: Galleries can be a bit annoying, especially if there are tonnes of photos. If I click on a photo and then go back to the gallery it doesn't remember which page I ewas on and I have to keep clicking the more button. Could you make it at least remember which page I was up to?

3: I beleive English was actually made in England, not the USA. Why the US flag? ;)
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

1. We're working on smoothing out this bug. We'll move it to the top of the priority list.

2. Can you elaborate?

3. We've discussed this before, and decided that any icon that we use will lead to confusion and debate. We'll stick with the American flag until we come across another icon that better represents the English language.

• Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:

then use the british flag as an icon.....seriously it doesnt make sense representing english language with an american flag if u truly know that english is from england

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

As I said, Abisai, we've had this discussion before. If we do decide to change the icon, we won't use a flag, but instead an icon that will leave little room for debate and controversy.

Other suggestions are welcome, of course.

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    If you are intent on not having an English flag. I think you should go for a bust of Shakespeare...
  • TonyDice
    TonyDice wrote:
    or maybe a half-smoked Lambert and Butler, a pint of beer and a copy of the Racing Post
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Great ideas.

Perhaps we can create two and alternate them. The other could include a shotgun, a crucifix and a chicken wing.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Why not remove the star and strips, and just put an "Abc" icon instead~
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Grr.

Go back and look at the past threads on this. (Quick answer: Because "ABC" isn't indicative of the English language, but rather the Latin alphabet which is used by other languages in addition to English.)

Goofy suggestions only, please. We will seriously entertain your creative ideas.

No flags, no ABC, etc.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    "Eng"? or "En"?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

ZZZZZZZ

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Well, Im a "lazy dork" too, like you WLIB coworkers ;-)

Ok, write a code that when mouse moves on the icon, there pops up an explaination or legal disclaimer! -_-ZZzz...
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

It's just not worth the debate time, hence the American flag.

USA! USA! USA!

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Yep, I dont care. Abt the second one, when the fotos in an album list more than one page, we need to click "more" to see more, right? then pick one to view. After done viewing, and wanna back to browse thumbnails, the page just back to the first page, not showing any more even I've clicked "more" couple of times before. That's it~
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    We'll figure it out.
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    Why not use the Mexican flag for Spanish? Surely there are a tonne more Mexicans speaking Spanish then Spanish people?

A couple of other ideas:

Rename "English" to "American" ;)

Use the half Union jack, half stars and stripes method to make the icon. Cutting in half from corner to corner.
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    Oh and about the Gallery:

if there is a long gallery, I cant easily jump to the last page. I just have to keep clicking on the "More" button. It's OK except when I want to view a photo in more detail. After clicking on a specific photo and then going back to the gallery, I'm right back to the beginning.

If a party has 10 pages of photos, it can be annoying trying to check out each photo because you have to hit that "more" button again and again, just to get back to the page you were on. Make sense? Maybe I'm just doing it wrong
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    The split flag thing was one of the first things we thought of, but the resolution is too low -- and the icon too small -- to adequately convey that image. We'll examine the photo pages and try to make them more user friendly.
  • TonyDice
    TonyDice wrote:
    actually that pic of Richard at a Spring Break Keg Party adequately summarizes your motherland's culture
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    It's true.

I was forced to do it by my American buddies
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Found a bug with the PM ... is this the place to report it? or should I contact someone drectly?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

What's the problem with the PM?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

On page 1, I see one page of the latest messages in reverse chronological order, that's fine ... the earlist one (on the bottom) is dated mid Nov ...

When I go to page 2, the messages between June and July appeared ... but NOT in reverse chronological order ... that's problem one ...

When I go to page 3, I would found the messages (this time in the correct reverse chronological order) between Sept and Oct, so that's problem number two ...

Then going onto pages 4, 5 and 6, I see the messages on page 2 appearing again, that's problem number three ...

So, it seems that my messages between Oct and Nov cannot appear, assuming there is any ... and then there is also the messages between Sept and July, again, assuming there was any ...

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Ok. Looking into it now. Thanks for the report.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

By the way, the problem only happens to the "Inbox", the "sent Items" is OK
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Correction ... the problem also happens in the "Sent Items", but only problems one and three above ...
  • Tibby Pandanianna

My profile is a bit annoying too, it always says "1 New Message" at the top while there IS NOT any! :/

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

What happens when you click on the message notification?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hi folks ... there seems to be a problem with PM again ... only in the "Sent Items" ...

On page one of the "Sent Items", I found the oldest messages (i.e. messages from the last page or last two pages), but appearing in the normal chronological order ...

All the latest messages are missing ... all the other pages seem normal and the Inbox is OK too ...

Please help ... thanks ...
  • Joakim Lund Rangel
    checking it out now
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Thanks ... been wondering about one thing ... do you guys use any source control or version control? Hahaha, I am from the dark ages of VS, and we called them source control, not sure what you guys call them now ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Q: what does the "search" function in the PM do?

I used that before in the guestbook (say, to search guestbook entries of certain people), and that worked fine ... but when I did the same thing (i.e. just searching for member's names) in the PM, that "failed" and brought me to a page to invite people to join ...

What did I do wrong?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hi guys

There seems to be something wrong with my profile page ... most of the description is missing, and the music is missing too ... can anyone help please?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Just thought of a "nice to have", and it might fit better in this thread ...

Often I would leave the computer online while I was away, and then this site runs a "time out" and then I had to log in again, but that is NOT quite the issue ...

Most of those times, I would have the "Online Members" page on the screen, which refreshes itself when anyone logs in ... that is NOT the issue either, not yet ...

My suggestion here is ...

Putting "time out" and "refresh" together, I would like to see that after "time out", the "refresh" action would actually refreshes the WHOLE page and both the "login" and "password" then appear on the screen ...

If it is difficult to do, then please dont worry about it ... thanks ...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Oh, found a new problem ... or maybe it is a WIP?

The "search" in the guestbook is not working ... what did I do wrong?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Another new problem ... probably related to the domain?

I sent a couple of files to T Fries using a PM, and he said he cannot get to those attachments, and when I clicked on them, they said "file not found" or something like that ...

Therefore ... PM is OK, but PM attachment is not working ..
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Q: something's wrong with the time stamp on this site?
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    What's going on here ?!
  • DonkeyTonk
    DonkeyTonk wrote:
    RULE BRITANNIA. THANKS FOR COMING TO YOUR SENSES. BRITAIN MADE THE LANGUAGE. VICTORY FOR BRITAIN RAH RAH RAH
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:
    Victory?? draw maybe, USA 1 UK 1
    The icon for -All things English- (in the categories of this forum)
    Still is USA flag

:P
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    its a UK flag
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

What UK flag? Where?

By the way, there is a new issue ...

Whether it be on guestbook and the forum (and I am guessing everywhere else), the thumbnails of some members are appearing as a big fat red cross (ok, only a tiny little one) ... the location of the thumbnail image is obviously crapped, but I dont know whether it be the database or anything else ...
  • Jon Magnus Ro
    Jon Magnus Ro wrote:
    when editing the profile, there is only the selection for male under "gender" only a blank space is available where the selection of female would be.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Folks ... photo upload is not working for some reasons, what did I do wrong?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... I must done something really bad ... my "sent items" is all empty?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Start a new thread with the new bugs: makes it easier to follow. Thanks!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

As good as done ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.