Discussion » Feedback & Suggestions » Daily comic must die

. wrote:
    Please guys, think of something else. The quality and entertaining value of this comic reminds me of a high-school newspaper strip. When it's not drawing humor from racism (I'm no fan of pol. correctness, but this is just...bleh...), it's just plain stupid, not funny-stupid, but slightly-embarrassing stupid. That stuff was funny in the 80s. No wait, it wasn't, even back then.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... "high school newspaper strip"? ... this certainly brings back lots of memory ... yes, it is a lot like that, with all the gossip etc on this forum ...
  • Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:
    A voice from the WLIB office here: Wulffmorgenthaler is genious and it's not going anywhere! They sport the same type of humor as you see in Family Guy, South Park, The Simpsons and every other modern cartoon success - Politically Incorrect, Totally Insane, Cruel and Dirty. Welcome to the future, caveman! ;)
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

2nd voice from WLIB:

Humor is subjective... and everyone has an opinion. While you may not appreciate the comic, the community response to Wulff has been overwhelmingly positive.

Lot of folks have even told us that they come specifically to WLIB for the comic alone. Furthermore, the sardonic elements of Wulff fit the WLIB brand perfectly.

With that said, sorry pal... Wulff is here to stay!

• Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:
    I love these cartoons, but I just feel that they were a bit more funny before.

Anyway, still hilarious!
  • Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:
    Aurélien: I think they have their ups and downs :-) I think my favorite strip was posted now recently actually ^^
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    I think most of comics here are funny. Just a sincere suggestion: Too many jokes related to "sex". It would be much better to see more varieties - politics, economy, social life, etc.
  • Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:
    Protip:
    Install Adblock, Right click on the picture, block this with Adblock.

. wrote:
    Nono, I posted a smarty pants answer about how it could be called "genious", but really, seeing this compared to the Simpsons...now I'm assured it's the right comic for WLIB, haha! Sorry for having doubts :)

• TonyDice
    TonyDice wrote:
    nah, not funny
  • Rune
    Rune wrote:
    I happen to be from Denmark, the country that has fostered this embarrasment of a wannabe humour duo that is Wulffmorgenthaler. We danes pride ourself on our extremely politically incorrect humour (the muhammad drawings, anyone?) and we usually get frowned upon by many people from other countries who think we are always being to radical and over the top. But that's just how our humour is, we like to cross boundaries and like to provoke, in order to maybe inspire some self-reflection?

On top of this I _love_ south park, the fucking gods of excellent executed humour. It's so spot on every damn episode, the jokes are always relevant, always new, always funny. Everything else of this genre as well is something I just love. Especially when I get attacked myself, and feel provoked. As I said I think it's good for self reflection.

But with all this being said, Wulffmorgenthaler is none of this. It's so mind-numbingly unfunny that it should be fucking illegal (enforced by the retard police) to make as boring and retarded attempts at humour as the two unfunny, unoriginal idiots who makes these strips are. Nothing in the strips is original. It's just random gibberish half of the time, and that creates the illusion of originality. Basically the premise is usually "lets take x and make it retarded". Changing x to something new every day does NOT entitle originality, it does however entitle an official seal of stupid to anyone who is humoured by something as dumbed down and simple as that. Wulffmorgenthaler is not provoking in a contemporary sense. It never has any references to anything thats going on, or when there is they are always unbelieveable stupid, old and overused (like making fun of suicide bombers, dumb americans, etc or something else that was "fun" 10 years ago). It's not provoking when they draw a baby getting its limbs ripped off. That, of course, could be fun (or at least surprising in a "wat?" kind of way) if it wasnt so predictable because extremely graphical or explicit material seems to be the only other "provoke" card that Wullfmorgenthaler seems to like to play.

In conclusion, Wulffmorgenthaler is a pathetic attempt at making good, provoking, intelligent humour. To an unintelligent observer who doesnt have a good (contemporary) sense of humour, and who likes (or can accept) to just get provoked but not for the sake of self-reflection, it SEEMS as if it is good. People like that can read Wulffmorgenthalers comics and laugh because they think they are being "hip and provocative like south park lol" for liking a retarded comic. But in the end they are just that, laughing at retarded humour. As someone else put it, it's dumb in the embarrassing face-palm-inviting way, not in the funny way.

Yeah I fucking hate Wulffmorgenthaler with a passion thats why I wrote down all this crap. Fuck you Wulffmorgenthaler. And yes I would wish that shit would die, it makes me feel so fucking stupid every time I just see the name mentioned. Anyway this was just to express my anger, not an attempt at persuading people.
  • TonyDice
    TonyDice wrote:
    Boooooooooooooom!
    . wrote:
    Well, 50% WMT strips are about sex and are vulgar. Unfortunately, they totally fail at provoking anything but regret for 5 seconds of my life I will never get back. There's not much to add to '"lets take x and make it retarded"' in the intent to be daring and pol. incorrect. In the classic formula x is a humor taboo (ex. holocaust) to which something that pubescent minded authors find giggle-worthy is added (blowjobs). There you have your daily politically incorrect comic delivered. Amazing. Where do I reflect here?

Thx to Aurélien for the tip, will do.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Interesting insights, folks. I never knew that simple comic strips demanded so much analysis and fist shaking anger.
  • Rune
    Rune wrote:
    Lol just read my own post and realised how angry I was when I wrote it yesterday :P There's nothing like writing a good ole' Wall of Text when you're pissed off because your hairdresser shaved off half of your eyebrow.

God damn. I really do hate Wulffmorgenthaler, though, lol. But I guess at least my fits of internet-conveyed rage is some of the funny things that they spawn.^^
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Dont recall seeing this for many days ... RIP...
  • pommie
    pommie wrote:

I’ve often been surprised at how startlingly unfunny that strip is.

Osama Bin Laden is in a cave trying on his new Speedos.

Why?? Where’s the joke? How is that any funnier than Osama Bin Laden playing “Blowin In the Wind” on his new acoustic guitar or Osama Bin Laden sitting down to watch M*A*S*H DVDs?

R2D2 now has a job sweeping floors.

Again, where is the humour? Why not R2D2 working as a ball boy at Wimbledon or R2D2 selling industrial grade lubricants at a manufacturing trade show?

I think I’ve found two of them funny in six months – the ones that take the piss out of women for being crap and talking too much.

Other than that – good riddance!
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
    I must admit, I have very high standards when it comes to sequential graphics and text. I enjoy graphic novels. I dig Sandman and Transmetropolitan and Preacher. When the Internet became a venue for independent comic artists who were far too vulgar for syndication, I was there. I saw the first few years of Penny Arcade and I remember Keenspot.

Wulffmorgenthaler is just so-so. The drawing style is pretty decent. The jokes are utterly lame and corny, true, but at least the puns are not complicated. It's light on in-jokes and culturally specific humor that would leave people scratching their heads. I don't think there are many other comics that would fit quite as well for an international community of misfits. It's appropriately inappropriate.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... just wondering, what happened to the daily comic?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Huh? Hahahaha ...

• Colin Friedman

Seriously not funny. The sooner it is replaced the better for WLIB.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

[simple] = the people

[stupid] = never mind

[obscene] = forum thread topics
  • Brusch
    Brusch wrote:

Of course for those who like infantile and prepubescent comic,

Wulffmorgenthaler is the thing.

• Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:

I don't find it funny. So I don't read it. Not a terribly difficult decision making process.

• Iain Bonner
    Iain Bonner wrote:

the more stupid ones have made me laugh out loud. is there something wrong with me?

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

Mostly I forget it's down there as they've never really hooked me. This thread did remind me about little-gamers.com though.

• Børge Notkevich
    Today's (29th Sept) comic, "vaginalism"! Love it!
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Eh, but it's a rip-off of that South Park episode when all the vegetarians had a disease where vaginas grew all over their bodies.

• Hilde Kolkinn
    Hilde Kolkinn wrote:

long live to wulffmorgenthaler!!...

• Åse Marie Strand

@ Dando

Have you read The Invisibles or The Filth (both Grant Morrison). If not, check it out.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.