Discussion » Food & Drink » Places to go

• Cory Kelso
    Cory Kelso wrote:
    I am from Canada and am Traveling to Beijing in December. I was looking for some good restaurants and places to go for drinks. Any suggestions would be great...
  • MiLo
    MiLo wrote:
    You should go some places can represent the culture of China, not restaurants and places for drinking...
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

So, *Chuck, according to your logic, Cory will have to go without food or drinks during his trip.

Cory, it all depends on what you like. I'm a big fan of Ghost Street for the Sichuan restaurants and overall ambiance. NLGX is another great traditional neighborhood with loads of great restaurants: both domestic and foreign.

In terms of nightlife, Glen is great if you're a fan of whiskey, while Q Bar has a decent crowd and excellent cocktails. Both are in Sanlitun South.

If you dig live music with your drinks, check out Yugong Yishan, Club Obiwan, MAO Live House or D-22.

While I haven't been, Apothecary is a new bar that's been getting props for it's old-timey drinks. Same goes for Lugar (Worker's Stadium).

• Kkg
    Kkg wrote:
    yes, nlgx is a great site. i really get kick out of going there. but bars at sanlitun or houhai r noiser.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

I dislike Houhai due to it's tout culture. I hate being grabbed by the arm and bothered by bar staff and people trying to sell me stuff.

• Kkg
    Kkg wrote:
    sure thing. they keep pestering u when u r passing by bars.
  • Guro Haugerud wold
    Thanks to everyone for the ideas of where to go. I am looking forward to being there and hope I find my way around ok hahah
  • MiLo
    MiLo wrote:
    Pete: i didnt mean that he should travel someplace without foot and drink.
    In my opinion, if you travel someplace, you should go and see their glorious places full of their cultures and traditions, not just for someplace drinking or food, if you just want to drink beers, why you travelled to BJ from thousand away?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Cory said, "I'm looking for some good restaurants and places to go for drinks."

Nothing in that statement indicated that he wasn't going to see "glorious places full of their cultures and traditions."

Furthermore, why couldn't you do both? What's wrong with going to the Great Wall, Summer Palace and spending a day strolling throughout this harmonious city and then proceeding to enjoy a nice meal accompanied with a few drinks?

You're projecting animosity.

• MiLo
    MiLo wrote:
    easy, ok? he just asked for advices, you say yours and i say mine, if you think that judgeing others advices is very interesting, then go ahead.
  • Kkg
    Kkg wrote:
    try not to lose ur cool guys! pete, u working in bj? how long have u been here?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

You didn't give any advice. You just made the assumption that Cory wasn't planning on checking out cultural things and instead was coming to Beijing to party.

Put it this way:

I'm going to Toyko in early-2010. While I'm going to sightsee during the day, I'd still like to know where to grab a decent meal and have a few drinks at night.

That was the point of Cory's question, which you missed entirely.

• MiLo
    MiLo wrote:
    OK, pete, you are right, i didnt give any advice with the details, cos i think ppl in this world now know the places they want to visit in BJ, seems i was wrong, say sorry to all of you guys!
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

Thanks, *Chuck.

At Kkg: On and off since Jul 2006.

• 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    I just want to say, I'm a kind of person who's crazy about food. When I plan to travel somewhere, the first thing I will check is what's their special food and where I can eat them.

Food contains many information about cultures and traditions, I think.

It's always a very enjoyable experience to know a country from their food.
  • Guro Haugerud wold
    The reason I ask about food is cause I am a chef in Canada. So I like my food hahah. Ofcourse I plan on traveling and seeing the sights china has to offer also.
  • Veronica Skagen
    @Kelso - Food, yes, everyone love food. Talk about food, have you been to Singapore?
  • Guro Haugerud wold
    I have only been to Las Vegas twice and across Canada. This is my first time leaving the continent.
  • Xiaoli
    Xiaoli wrote:
    Beijing Duck, my favourite!HAO CHI!
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    recently people in beijing like to go to Wu Dao Ying Hutong(五道营胡同) for drinks and coffee, they said that it is a second Nanluoguxiang. i found one resturant quite good, Pu Tao Yang Zi, there.

If u dropped by Peking Univeristy or Zhongguanxun, can consider go to a Yunnan food resturant in front of South Gate of PKU.

In Chaoyang, I used to go to Jing Ding Xuan金鼎轩 for cantonese food. There are a lot of chains in different places..

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.