Discussion » Beijing Life » 今天你减碳了么?have you cut carbon emission today?

• Richard Ma
    Richard Ma wrote:
    China has announced its target of carbon emission cut. we can contribute our own bit to make the earth a better place--drive less, eat less meat, use less electricity, so less shopping, save water, use less elevator.......
    Would you like to change your habit for better life?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Action speaks louder than words ... the government should switch off unnecessary lights on the street ... looking beautiful has a price to pay ... and our world is paying for it ...

For all your "surfers" ... I suggest unplugging your computer (especially if you are using a notebook or iMac) when not in use ... also, dont leave it plugged in continuously just to charge the battery ...

Try using landlines instead of mobile ... it requires electricity to recharge your mobile whereas most phones dont need extra electricity than what the network is already using ...

It is winter, so the heater is online inside ... my wife told me that they use the same amount of coal anyway, but I still think that you can help by switching "down" the heater when you can avoid it, e.g. when you are not at home, or just wear more ...
  • Richard Ma
    Richard Ma wrote:

lol! you are already a pioneer at the issue. hope you can take the lead to affect people around you.

i have vegetables for lunch. and i plan to climb stairs up to 15th floor today.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I had bought some steamed buns (Gong Fu Buns) from downstairs ...
  • Richard Ma
    Richard Ma wrote:

hope there was no meat stuffings hehe.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha, sorry, but I am a growing boy ... I need my meat intake ...
  • Richard Ma
    Richard Ma wrote:

hope the slight change could change people's habit. too much is wasted now. especially at workplace, lights are on even no people are working.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Just look along Chang An Street (or Chang An Da Jie), most office buildings have their lights on until late even when there is no one inside ... by the way, it seems not many people in this community cares much about this? Heehee ...
  • Richard Ma
    Richard Ma wrote:

that' s exactly the concern i have. maybe not many people are interested in this issue. but i do believe what happened in the movie 2012 will happen in real life if people still barely care about environment.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

One thing we can be certain ... we will all die one day, but whether we die on the same day, it depends on how we take care of ourselves and this world ...
  • Richard Ma
    Richard Ma wrote:

i am totally with you. and what we are doing now in a degree determines when and how our offsprings die

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... like I was telling someone the other day, and his opinion was that this forum is boring ... people are more attracted to controversial subjects such as sex and relationship, but not about saving energy ...

By the way, I dont think increasing cost of energy would cut down usage ... if you look around Beijing (Richard, you are in BJ, right?), more and more people are driving privately owned vehicles even when the petrol price is going up, up and up ... for a lot of Chinese, they like to show off their wealth by telling people that they can afford a car, including the cost of keeping one ...

• Richard Ma
    Richard Ma wrote:

yes, i am living and working in beijing. are you? hehe, what do you do?

about the increasing cars, i think china is experiencing a phase, a transitional one, where people are still trying to figure out what is more important in life. now people are living a better life. they can afford cars, houses, designer clothes. they have to tell people i can make their life better by their own hands. they are successful. that's a psychological period they have to go through.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... I am in Beijing too, and I am an insurance agent, representing AIA (美国友邦) ...

Actually, the consumer behaviour in mainland China is very different from the rest of the world ... here's another example ...

Do you know what is meant by "doggie bag"? In Australia, it has equivalent meaning as "打包" in China ... to this date, I am still shocked at how much food a few people would order for a meal in Beijing, and how much is left un-eaten on the table when they left ...
  • Richard Ma
    Richard Ma wrote:

hehe, the situation was a lot worse years ago i think, when i was little. now it's getting better. are you a chinese?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... you are either very brave or very ... hahaha, just kidding ... because most people (esp Chinese) would have run when they heard that I am an insurance agent ... and yes, I am Chinese born in Hong Kong ...

One of the worst case I have ever "heard" (because I was not there) was a girl sitting next to my wife at 半亩园... that girl ordered 小笼包, ate one, paid the bills and then left ... not too sure how her family taught her ...
  • Richard Ma
    Richard Ma wrote:

hehe, of course i am brave haha, you gave me no other choice!

that happens a lot in canteens in china's universities... girls waste a lot more than boys do..

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... just to test how brave you are ... have you considered any insurance plan?
  • Kkg
    Kkg wrote:
    buying stocks of energy-saving enterprises is counted?
  • Richard Ma
    Richard Ma wrote:

en, i think that counts, enterprises can invest in employing high-tech with more money. that would reduce emission! bravo

• Richard Ma
    Richard Ma wrote:

hehe, i am quite brave. and my parents have bought insurance for me. what's special about yours. and do you have msn?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

KKG ... what stocks have you bought? I think it is a good time at the moment, if you are considering getting more from the Shanghai or Shenzhen markets ...

Richard ... if you would consider "insurance" a rough equivalence of your medical bills, which is going to be more and more expensive, then it is not difficult to understand that what you have now would never be sufficient for what you need in the future ...

Another (bad) comparison is insurance against computer hardware ... in the dark ages, or about 20+ years ago, having a computer with 40MB hard disk and 64kB memory was a big thing ... now, such capacity is ridiculous ...

When you have a moment, I urge you to have a look at my Sohu blog, I have written an analogy (in Chinese) between insurance and winter clothes, and I think it could give you a further insight ...

The insurance system in China is governed by regislations, and if one breaks down the products (or plans) offered by different companies, they would found to be more or less the same, perhaps the only differences are price and services ... so there is nothing special about our products, but I can confidently say that AIA take pride in handling claims with benchmark results ...
  • Richard Ma
    Richard Ma wrote:

ok, i will check out your blog later after work hehe. time to get home now  haha. nice discussion!

• MoMo
    MoMo wrote:

yes...i really do..i have quit eating meat for more than two month...and i think i will keep it as long as l can...=)

I think there are many things we can do for it..Most of them are just some little details which is very easy for us to do in our daily life..As long as we give it more attention, this world will be better...

• Richard Ma
    Richard Ma wrote:

wow. you are so cool for cutting meat out of your life for such a long time. i worship you hehe! you are such a model! keep going hehe!

• MoMo
    MoMo wrote:

try my best~`thanks~hehhe

• Jasd Asd
    Jasd Asd wrote:
    Yes - using less plastic bags by bringing my own bag when needing to shop, dividing rubbish up from paper, plastic and cans and putting them in the proper bins for recycling, using energy saving light bulbs, switching the tv off manually rather than using the remote and switching all the main power switches such as the tv, dvd and computer, saving water by using the shower rather than the bath, waiting for a 'full' load of clothes to be washed in the washing machine, less use of the air con, use of public transport since I can't drive lol.

Altho cos of my job do use alot of paper but try to use both sides of the paper and for for food spillage on tables for lunch. Can't cut out much on the meat - quite a meat lover :P but don't eat it on the first and 15th of the lunar calendar for religious reasons.

• Winnie
    Winnie wrote:
    just a while ago i heard it on the radio: fat ppl gives 1 ton more carbon emssion than skinny ppl...
    so in that sense, i am a good citizen.haha
    i always turn off the light when i dont need it
    i dont have a car so i dont drive
    and i think really REALLY, beijing do NOT need more energy consuming monster giant shopping malls...but apparently, the construction never stops! im also amazed how those shops always manage to stay open...
  • Richard Ma
    Richard Ma wrote:

do you guys have plan of carbon cuts in your daily life?

the following website is a formula to figure out  how much carbon you can help reduce in your daily life? have a try and make your own plans

http://www.acca21.org.cn/eser/counter/index.htm

http://www.wwfchina.org/action/mobilization/activity/1kg.shtm

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Yeah, Winnie, you are a good citizen, I'm becoming worse and worse...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I read this article from China Daily last month, but kept forgetting to find it and post it ... good news for us non-vegetarian, hahaha ...

Do meat-free meals serve up a genuine low-carbon lifestyle?

By Wang Xufeng (China Daily)
    Updated: 2010-04-21 10:55

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/metro/2010-04/21/content_9756780.htm

• Simen Stensvoll
    go to bath with ur bf/gf to save water
  • ┢┦apΡy
    ┢┦apΡy wrote:
    很好的主题,恩,我心在环保吃素(偶尔吃点鱼)
    车也不买了,步行。
    对了,有 马扎伊尔人吗~~!!! 我要嫁人!

Very good theme, well, my heart in the green vegetarian (occasionally eat fish)
    Do not buy a car, on foot.
    Yes, there Mazhayier people you ~~!!! I want to get married!
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    equipt your bed with a electricity generator and turn it on when you having sex! hehe

as to cut carbon emission, there are always to things in my mind, an question, and a belief:

question: why we need to cut carbon emission?
    belief: the most thorough way to cut carbon emission is FUSION POWER or SOLAR ENERGY...err...in the...maybe...er...near...err...future ;)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.