Discussion » Current Events » Climate change? Global warming??

• Sheryl Zhong
    Sheryl Zhong wrote:
    Anyone has a link to the original emails please post it?

As a natural cynic I don't fully believe that man made global warming is doing what the scientists say they are doing, so some emails have been leaked on the Internet revealing 'data manipulation' of the climate change supporters

Well done hackers
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

Well there are a few sides to this argument right?  I will discuss two.  The people who stand to make lots of money by denying that man made climate change exists and the scientists who carry out experiments and analyze hundreds of thousands of years of empirical evidence in order to arrive at relaiable beliefs.  Reliable is a key word here. 

An example of a reliable belief resulting from  testing empirical evidence is you should not jump out of the window of a tenth floor building because gravity is real and no matter how much you deny it it will still affect you.  Another reliable belief is Evolution.  Our entire civilization thrives on the fruits of this so called "theories" established findings.  If it were not for this we would not have western medicine and many modern advances we enjoy today.  If we really doubt science and the great thinkers who are NOT being paid by people to publish bogus information in order to render a sceptical point of view in order to maintain a base of political and economic support then who do we believe? 

The politician who has his interests in prolonging the argument as long as possible because all his pension and his childrens education funds are invested in oil?

The people who's lives are didicated to scruitinizing every sliver of evidence for a theory, a belief, an assumption, or a hunch in order to actively seek out the truth.  They wish to prove old beliefs wrong and adopt more "relaible" ones no matter how uncomfortable that may be. 

You choose!  A shot in the dark? An agenda backed by money?  Or the scientist who is dedicated to publishing the truth no matter how uncomfortable it makes people?

• Ed Legend
    Ed Legend wrote:
    The e-mails in full:

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

Well what are we risking if we take measures to protect the Earth from further defilement in order to offset global warming?

Do we risk not breathing in harmful toxins? Not killing off all the species we come in contact with?  Not selling as many petrolium by products as the goals suggested we should?  Having clean water to drink? 

The same argument is given by every skeptic, "The climate changes we are seeing are part of a natural process that occurrs on Earth every so often, however teh trouble is we are causeing it to happen hundreds and thousands of years earlier than it i supossed to happen according to trends uncovered in Antarctic ice fossils and core samples.  Might I add that Antarctic ice fossils are like snapshots of the TRUTH that cannot be faked because they either contain the eveidence in the form of chemicals and atmospheric gasses or they do not, so there is no interpretation according to bias involved in at least this aspect of data gathering.  I agree that the interpretation of data and statistics is a little political at times, but we just cannot get stupid people to stop breeding, so I guess we will always have this problem.  They just keep multiplying like a disease that cannot be stopped.  At least they have immunizations for things like H1N1, but there is no cure for stupidity.

If you do not believe people who are hard at work testing empirical evidence to arrive at reliable beliefs what do you believe in?  Do you believe in God?  If you do then you have nothing to worry about, for he will save you and yours when that time comes.  As for me I am not at liberty to put faith in anything beside the human race because It seems that we are alone and If we do not fix the problems we cause no one or nothing else will. I do not want to trust something I cannot see, therefore I put my faith in human ability to be our own gods.

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

Oh well in that case we agree haha!  However that Delingpool is  a dipshit and anything on the internet can always be faked and bogus.  I will keep my ears and eyes open for more info on this scandal information. 

It seems like they are trying to kill the whole AGW debate because of a some information supposedly got hacked from one research facility at a University.

We need to be aware that people fake all kinds of stuff on the net. It is hard to know who to trust. 

It is also a bogus claim to sugest that there is too much riding on green energy for the government to want this to get out.  The green energy movement is still in it's infantile stage.  Our bread and butter is still crude oil and fossil fuel.  Green energy is still trying to break through and the thing holding it back is fossil fuels.  That guy Delingpool is a dumbass and will publish anything to make a name for himself.  Read some of his other stuff and you will understand what I mean.

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    Monbiot's musings...

• Tom Roger Bråten
    hope the moive"2012" will not happen forever
    . wrote:
    Things we can do to help.

Heating and Air Conditioning

- Don't open your doors or windows if your heat or air conditioner is on. A typical window left open overnight in winter will waste enough energy to drive a small car over 35 miles. (Source: The Carbon Trust UK)
    - Don’t air condition an empty room or empty home.
    - Set the thermostat at the desired temperature. Setting it higher won’t heat the house faster and can waste energy by overshooting.
    - Clean the air conditioner before each cooling season.
    - If you have a window air conditioning unit, remove it for the winter months, to prevent heat from escaping through and around the unit. If it can't be removed, buy a cover, to prevent drafts.
    - Use your exhaust fans sparingly. In just one hour they can remove a houseful of warmed or cooled air.
    - Keep your thermostat at 26°C in the summer and 20°C in the winter. Remember: “26/20.” Every 1°C difference in temperature between indoors and outdoors can add around 10% to heating or cooling costs and greenhouse gas emissions. Every 1°F you lower the thermostat in winter and raise it in summer can reduce your heating and cooling bills by 1% or more.
    - Use blinds and curtains with white or reflective outer surfaces—dark colors absorb heat.
    - During the winter, close-fitting blinds or curtains that create a layer of still air next to the glass are most effective.
    - ($) The best way to reduce air leakage is to caulk holes around the interior of the home around the woodwork, baseboard, band joist area at the top of the foundation, and into the attic or basement.
    - ($) An air-trapping door sweep costs about $15, is easy to install, and can reduce the air that escapes through the gap between the bottom of your door and the floor.
    - ($) Install foam gaskets behind all outlets and switches, even on interior walls, and use child safety plugs backed with gasket punch-outs to keep the cold air from coming in through the sockets.
    - ($$) Cover internal walls, particularly those that face south. Even a large woolen wall hanging can provide extra insulation, reducing heat loss in winter.
    External shading is twice as effective as an internal blind at blocking out summer heat.
    - ($$$) About 15% of air leakage is through windows and doors. Replace your old entry door with an insulated door. Upon new construction, choose double pane windows instead of single pane
    - ($$$$) Use window film on windows, if you can afford it.
    . wrote:
    Using Water

- More than half of hot water use is in the bathroom, a third is in the laundry, and the remainder is in the kitchen.
    - Avoid using small amounts of hot water if cold water will do. Each time you turn on the hot water tap, a liter or more of cold water that had been heated but has cooled in the pipes runs down the sink, before hot water is delivered. If you have electric hot water, Running hot water just 10 times a day will generate about 200 kilograms of greenhouse gas each year.
    - Take showers, rather than baths. A typical shower requires only half as much hot water as an average tub bath.
    - Set your water heater at the mid-range of 120 degrees; anything hotter, and you're wasting energy.
    - Put the water recirculation pump on a timer, so it does not run in the middle of the night. You can also set it to turn off in the middle of the day, if nobody is home. Wrap an insulating blanket around water tanks.
    - A low-flow showerhead—which uses less hot water—can reduce carbon-dioxide emissions by 376 pounds and lower your annual utility bill by $20 to $40. That's enough to recoup the cost of a new showerhead. (Source: Suze Orman.)
    - Buy an energy efficient water heater.
    Good: High-efficiency gas water heater with tank
    Better: Tankless, instantaneous gas-fired water heater
    Best: Solar-powered water heater
    - Repair all leaky faucets.
    - Install sink aerators and bathtub faucets to reduce indoor water use by 30-40%.
    - Use motion sensor faucets.
    - Consider storing wash water (laundry machines, dishwashers, bathtubs and sinks) for greywater use (toilets). (Legal in China.)
    . wrote:

- Wipe off your light bulbs, periodically. Dusty bulbs can emit 20% less light.
    - Use lower wattage bulbs in fixtures where you don't need much light, such as hallways and bedrooms.
    - Buy compact fluorescent lights (CFLs) to replace incandescent light bulbs. 95% of the energy used goes to heating an incandescent bulb, adding unwanted heat to your home in the summer. CFLs use two-thirds less energy and last up to 10 times longer.
    - Spend a tiny bit more to buy high quality CFLs, which will last much longer.
    - Make use of natural light, as much as possible.
    - Install motion detectors on lights.
    - Don’t connect more than three lights to each light switch. You can switch off lights you don’t need.
    - Low voltage halogen lamps are not low energy lamps: each one generates a kilogram of greenhouse gas every 15 hours—about the same as an ordinary 60 watt bulb (although it does produce more light). Halogens are not easily replaced by more efficient alternatives, so installing them locks you in to high lighting bills.
    . wrote:
    Plugging In

- Even when they're switched off at the appliance, home electronic products use energy to power features like clock displays and remote controls. When they are left plugged in at the wall, appliances still typically use 1 -20 Watts of power, with most appliances using less than 5 watts (~45 kilograms of greenhouse gas/year/item).
    - Cell phone adapters still use energy even when plugged in. Remove the adapter, or put it on a switch.
    - Use a power switch, or an outlet with a switch, to make disconnecting easier.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.