Discussion » Beijing Life » Newbie/to be living in Beijing

• Teresa Fung
    Teresa Fung wrote:
    Hi all, i'm currently in the process of considering to study Chinese in Beijing for around 3-6mths and have no idea what to expect in terms of culture, lifestyle, weather, communicating and getting to know people. Please feel free to voice your thoughts on absolutely anything which they think a newbie should know and expect.

I'm currently living in HK (for the past 3 yrs) but was born and brought up in UK. As you can imagine I have very limited Chinese especially simplified and my Mandarin totally sucks! Thanks in advance for any advice and feedback.

Also wanna know about accomodation, living costs, and any other thing I need to be aware of. I'm sorry for being so general as I have no idea what to ask as I want to know anything and everything.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    In Beijing, you can rent a room for 500/m, spend 10/d to fill up your stomach and RMB2~3 to go anywhere you want by bus and sub. Of coz, no matter how much money you have, or you want to spend each month, the city will surely accept it with ease :-)
  • Jasd Asd
    Jasd Asd wrote:
    Thanks Da Fan, it's a start in knowing abit about Beijing. Anything you can think of for helping a foreigner, please also share. In the meantime, I explore some more on this website... :)
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Haha, your info is just so comprehensive~~I do not rent house, just heard from couple of my friends, some of them rent old but sweet apartment for 500/m around Dongdan, of coz, share with their friends.

what else...oh yeah, the weather here is much drier than HK. As to the culture or lifestyle thing, i don't think it will be a problem. People here are friendly, and in such a big city, anyone can find the sub-groups he/she's familiar with, and then gradually broaden his/her circle.

Btw, One $ is more than 7Rmb now? I used to think it is abt 6.8
  • Jasd Asd
    Jasd Asd wrote:
    Thanks Peter for this additional info...i'm sorry to say i have no idea on the place Chaoyang yet - but i guess i will. Can you please explain what CBD is? The prices of food which you have listed out is quite similar to that of Shenzhen more or less. In terms of the accomodation....the costs seem very high especially when you were saying since 2004.... -.-"

I know it perhaps sounds silly in asking, but how convenient is everywhere around Beijing as in for supermarkets, convenience stores, pharmacies and local eateries...i think i do need to pay a visit to get me started...

Welcome any other post/comments :D
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    gasoline: 5-6RMB per liter.

mobile phone: generally it won't be more than 200/m, and for most of people, 100/m is enough.

movie ticket: original price is 60-120, and for kinds of reasons you can enjoy 50%dicount, eg. later evening/ all tuesday/ lovers/ prepaid card, etc.

Hm... what else?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Teresa, I have a friend currently studying Mandarin at Qing Hua ... he started there around Sept or Oct, and it is a 4-month course ... I went with him (and his daddy "Senior") to Qing Hua for the pre-registration, for both the course and the dormitory ...

If I remember correctly, the dormitory and the course each costs about 10k RMB, not including meal card and personal expense ...

I dont know much about the Qing Hua area, most people in this community can fill you in for sure ...

Take care
  • Jasd Asd
    Jasd Asd wrote:
    Hi Ding Dong,

I also looked at courses in Tsing Hua but my friend from Beijing told me that Beijing Language and Culture Uni is famous for Chinese study. I would need to pay Beijing a visit to familiarise and find out more. The period of study in BLCU (Beijing Language & Culture Uni) is also more suitable as Tsing Hua's application deadline is very near.

Thanks for your help, I will let you know if i need anything. In the meantime, feel free to post any other information, greatly appreciate it.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Sure, anything to help ... oh, I just remember one more thing ... a few web sites are blocked, so be prepared for losing contacts for a while ...
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    gasoline already rise in abt 6.6
  • Jasd Asd
    Jasd Asd wrote:
    Thanks Peter for the directions and overview of the city of Beijing, I think I have more of an image of Beijing with your descriptions and I feel more at ease knowing that shops are easy to get to and magazines...girls will be girls haha.

Another thing I wanna know is how long it takes to travel all around Beijing, for e.g. from east and west. I'm not that concerned with gas prices since I wouldn't be driving.

Ding Dong: As for blocking of websites...Hotmail should be good enough for me in regards to restricted access.

Thanks again for everyone's comments.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

the urbanized area of Beijing is abt 800-1000 square kilometers, almost the same with the area of the whole HK SAR. Thanks to the metro, we can avoid traffic jam, but had to bear the fully stuffed train. generally you can go anywhere within 1 hour by metro, but if you insist on taking bus or calling taxi during peak hour, the time may multiply: Beijing got nearly 4 million cars, and many owners of these cars drive wild…

• Jasd Asd
    Jasd Asd wrote:
    Thanks Da Fan for this information, it has been very helpful and knowing that it's the same area as the whole of HK SAR, I feel abit comforted...i shouldn't get too lost, right(?) lol Now, my mission is learning how to speak Mandarin fluently in order for me to get about the area. I usually take the metro here in HK too as it's convenient and I don't get lost, hopefully this applies the same for me in Beijing :)
  • BLCUer
    BLCUer wrote:
    welcome to Beijing.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.