Discussion » Feedback & Suggestions » Why do you add people as friend on WLIB?

  • Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:
    I'm receiving friend requests frequently from users that have never said Hi to me, and if I even accept, they do not open any dialog either.

    To those of you who do this; What are the reason that you Add a lot of users?

    Could it be any of these:

    1) You're a marketing manager and wish to send out messages to a lot of people trough events?

    2) You want to "bookmark" the people you add as friend because you find them interesting/attractive, so you can find them again easily on your friendlist?

    3) You think it's cool to have a lot of friends!

    4) Other reasons?
  • Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:
    Yo,

    Actually, my first goal was to make some friends in BJ before I come to China, then I wouldn't feel lonely.

    Then, I realised that a lot of people added me but don't talk, or are totally non-interesting, or even ask for sex with me... Well...

    I usually add people when I see that they post on the forum, or that they have the same hobbies as me, or just because they seem interesting.

    I met a few interesting people on this website, and I still continue to meet them as much as I can. I guess that the more people you add there, the more chances to find someone cool you have ;)
  • Ruby Cai
    Ruby Cai wrote:
    i been thinking abt this question sometimes as well...cuz when i accept their requests, hardly talk and i received event requests so many...hehhe...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    This is my third life at WLIB, hahaha ... at first, I also added people like crazy, but having been "killed" a few times from this community, I simply cannot be bothered anymore ... and when people add me, I make it a rule to say hello, and if the person does not reply, I usually removed them ...
  • Renée Lok
    Renée Lok wrote:
    To be honest,I don't really add people(i think less than 5 i add by myself),I also have the same question.people add me without saying anything even just "HI"..i think maybe they want more friends to make people think he/she is very popluar here?

    although i am not in beijing.but i am glad that i also know some cool friends from here and keep in touch as well.
  • Renée Lok
    Renée Lok wrote:
    what is more,many people use fake pics as their profile pics.that is annoying.
  • Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:
    For the fake image thing, we COULD make a "Real pic" thing, but it's a bit work so we have to consider it. Or have some better guidelines on the upload pic page..

    For the add as friend, I dont really get why people are adding from these arguments, cause you dont really have to add someone in order to talk or communicate with them. Maybe a "favorite list" would be better, so people could bookmark people first, then eventually get to know then and THEM add them as friends - unless they become enemies xD
  • John
    John wrote:
    My reason was #2 from your (Ole) list. But I would talk to people first.
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    that's a question for all websites in this kind..
    everybody want to make interesting new friends as more as possible..but finally they find all the time they are able to start to know/ keep in touch with only certain...

    at the beginning I gave myself a limitation for that , no more than 100 friends..but now the number is up to 150 since interesting people are quite a lot, and I all the time wonder whether I will unfortunately lose one of them... that's why I add people~

    and 叮噹, why I can't see u profile any more ?
  • Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:
    Personally, I'd love a favorites list :-) I dont have anyone on my friends list that I haven't personally met OR talked to trough weliveinbeijing.com

    If someone who's a event promoter sends me a friend request, there's no way I'd accept it as I know I'd get a lot of event request from the same person..
  • Ruby Cai
    Ruby Cai wrote:
    its been a question to me for long time whenever i checked their profile whose sent me a request and show 200+,300+,400+or even More than500 frnds in their list, have they really had maybe jst a simply Hey~ to one of each of them? or jst adding for fun :P

    i guess they adding frnds jst to make themselves feeling like a celeb :)
    (not everyone like this hopefully :p)
  • Renée Lok
    Renée Lok wrote:
    I saw a guy's profile yesterday.he got more than 1000 friends.lol,,
    i signed in his guestbook said he is gonna be forever popluar on wlibj.
  • Ruby Cai
    Ruby Cai wrote:
    gosh...1000+...he is a Star! lol

    jst not sure wot kinda star he should belongs to :P
  • Ruby Cai
    Ruby Cai wrote:
    btw, i jst checked my list

    and i found a Star in my list!

    he has 2354 frnds, and we have 6 in common....i guess probably everyone here knw him...hahha~~~
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    I usually only add people I know already. I only except friend requests from strangers if their activity on the site indicates we have something in common. (ie we belong to to the same group or share similar ideas on forum threads).

    I get enough of relative strangers asking me to "be their friend" in my daily life. Don't need it on the internet as well, thanks.
  • Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:
    Well, for the picture thing.

    I believe that renren uses that, when they think the picture is true, then they put a "star" next to the name. If you don't have it, they believe you are fake.

    You could do that, like randomly check, or if some people denounce the fake pictures etc.... Not sure if that'll work, 'cause I don't really see how such a massive website as renren can do it effectively.
  • Alex
    Alex wrote:
    I also can't understand why people add others without at least say "Nihao". lol
    I'm using WLIB for almost one year and I have less than 20 friends into my friends list, my goal is make real and good friends. Basically when totally lose the contact with someone in my list I delete this person...not looking for numbers at all.

    Anyway, it's a good website to meet people and even discuss different subjects.
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    I've only added one or two so far, as I'm a bit weird about adding people based on just finding them physically attractive, and most profies I've surfed don't really have much more about them.

    IF/When I do add people though, it's mainly because I find them interesting and would want to get to know them better/hang out with them to see if they were the kind of people I'd meet on a regular basis.
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    I never actually thought about it. Does anyone get his/her digital ego hurt by not being told Hi? Hmmmm I never really worry about the friends list thing. I admit I do have a habit of adding people because i like their picture galleries, but I do not only add people I find attractive. Some of them I just find interesting. So many people have artistic pictures that I just want to look at over and over. I often do not have time to say hi to everyone because i work a lot, but i would like to. I wonder why people add me? I have only been added by a few people so far. I do think I should balance out the ratio of males to females in my friends cache or delete most of the people who I do not interact with because not only is having 150 female friends improbable it would probably be physically and emotionally exhausting.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

    I still haven't figured out the users who send a friend request without saying anything first nor engaging in subsequent conversation. Part of me thinks that they take a quantitative approach and try to rack up as many friends as possible, while the other part thinks that they simply don't understand how a social networking site works.

    Middle ground says that we're operating in a dynamic cultural environment and we're all still learning how to interact with each other in a comfortable fashion.

    And then, of course, we have the outliers like in any other community, whether in real life or otherwise:

    Players, perverts, loners and freaks.

    I tend to only add people who I've met in real life, people with whom to network and the occassional person who looks really cool and would be an asset.

  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:

    I started to chat and meet some people known from WLBJ since April,

    One become my real real good friend :), 

    now we see each other everyday and become friend in real life.

    But he is not in my friend's list...we just kept talking by mails at the beginning and forgot to add each other...

     

  • S.Xuer
    S.Xuer wrote:
    Frankly speaking, I only add ppls that I met like Pete, or my already exist friends. For ppls I add here, I select those who have common professional field or have same interests through the thread discussion.

    But im okay to click "accept" if someone sends me a request no matter whether he had said sth or not. Cuz for these non descriptive guys, let's give them little self-esteem for being accept by strangers. As to the follow-up, I almost ignore. Cuz most of my mail box info is simple saying hi, nice to meet you there.
    True, that's called courtesy, but sooooo....empty!!! No point of sending me a message simply say HI, if HI is the beginning and ending of the message, then I could only reply, HI, BYE!

    BTW, I though if ppls saw for instance, i have ten common friends with him or her, he gonna accept me without questioning why, cuz those common friends in my mind is a NON-spoken justifiable reason to add.

    Everything is abundant clear now~hah
  • Ada
    Ada wrote:
    I thought Zhaohong's idea is fine to make friends before you show interest in...
  • Vera Luo
    Vera Luo wrote:
    I just added 3 or 4 friends in this website, they are love to travel , wanna to meet more friends, or just know more about china , I talk with them, work stuff , life stuff, travel , at least, all of them are cut : )

    but other wise, most time "strangers" added me , and the first message I got from most of them like : hey baby , u r beautiful , u sexy or u have MSN ,QQ I wanna to chat with u ..... I didn`t answer this kind of message .
  • Ed Legend
    Ed Legend wrote:
    I don't add people as a friend unless I know them already. If people message me and we end up chatting on MSN or something though, then I would add them after that.
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    I only add potential lovers, there's no point otherwise
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:

    people are covering the real truth here and i see some guys here pretending...face reality people....for the girls i understand but u should as well understand the real fact why someone will add u...of course it comes from ..why do u put a sexy picture as your profile picture? its natural that u will attract simple...someone want to talk to a sexy woman  someone want  know this good looking girl..and who knows  one might even get lucky.............you  guys dont act gay...and i am sure Ole u get most of the requests from the female counterpart...and u girls u get requests from the males...its just underststood..its nature....I feel more confortable chatting to a girl who i never met than chatting to a guy that i never met  ONLINE....and of course there are more reasons like marketing, inviting people for free events or whatever....so i see nothing wrong with it

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Hahaha ... Isai, truth is a rare commodity these days ... lying and/or pretending is much easier ...

    Yuki ... I am not interesting, so you are not missing anything ... ask around, I think most people will agree ...
  • Cathleen
    Cathleen wrote:
    ....
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Carlos Lindsey Penfold Ottery said:

    "I only add potential lovers, there's no point otherwise"

    I found four male pictures on your friends' list.

    I know it's personal, but really curious, are Peter 卫环琅 (weird person always has weird name) and Pete already your lovers or they still remain in potential lovers' place...
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

    Oh, Carlos and I go way back Maria. Back before yo' mama started to fart dust.

  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Oh, Pete, so you two are lovers for a long time? errrrrrrrr, anyway, I respect people's choice.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

    You, me and Carlos make three, hot stuff. Always room for one more.

  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    So, Pete, you are bi?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

    I'm not bi. Just extremely sarcastic.

  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

    "...and the occassional person who looks really cool and would be an asset."

    WTF

    Shame on you DeMola


    What's wrong with wanting to meet assets instead of liabilities? Assets include cool people to go to shows with, exchange ideas about collaboration or otherwise make life more interesting.

    Liabilities are people who make your life more risky and unpleasant.

    You must be the latter. Ha!

    6-3

  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    It's a very complicated relationship Maria.. as Pete says, there might be room for one more if you promise to be nice...
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Oh, I see, two bis here...
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

    It appears that you're saying that it's strange to make friends based on shared similar interests and avoid those with whom you have little in common with, which was the gist of my message above.

    What's more, judging others either cool or uncool and only choose to be friends with those who you think can make you look cool is totally UNCOOL

    I never said that. Try enrolling in a reading comprehension class.

    I'm docking all of your points for extreme douchebaggery.

  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. It makes perfect sense to me, considering I use the word "cool" to refer to one with whom I share similar interests. I think most people would use a variation of that word, regardless of the exact language.

    Not sure why you're having trouble grasping that simple concept.
  • Timothy Wang
    Timothy Wang wrote:
    I never add other people as friend here, i have one friend in my list i actually know the person, others all randoms...well maybe few i had conversation with...:-/
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:

    What I said doesn't significantly differ from what Aurelian, Yuki, Peter (both of them), Daniel and Summer all said.

    Your argument is semantic. I choose to use the words "asset" and "cool."

    Big deal.

    The concept is still the same. If you can't wrap your head around that, then you must have an ax to grind. Better grind it with someone else.

     

  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    Bi? Who said anything about women?
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Carlos, I get your point. You just want me to be your cameraman,right? hmmmm, I think it's ok as long as you allow me to sell the tape.
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    Maria! That tape for you to post on the internet for free, ok! No selling
  • Lin Dalan
    Lin Dalan wrote:
    My main reason is simple: to promote events and websites like www.piaoliangma.com and www.internetsolutionz.com. However, later i found many cute girls and started to add them hehe
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    I am curious, perhaps annoyed ...

    Q: why do people send friend request, without even reading the personal info?
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:

    叮当,perhaps because they don't know English, and they just tried to add u to improve it. :)

  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    ...

    Hahaha ... not very likely ... some foreign guy actually thinks that I am female ...
  • Siliconfish
    Siliconfish wrote:
    Because in general on WLIB guys dig female sexual harassers, like in real life, however here also vice versa----this differs from a real life.
  • Siliconfish
    Siliconfish wrote:
     ̄ε  ̄
  • Saint - Spartacus
    well when i was in another country and see sb quite intressing in their mind, i would like to keep in my list and maybe meet them later, as the world is small in some degree, and , i feel it's not esay neither too see sb very open minded and in the same comprehansion as yours ...

    people always do exchage and learn from each other , maybe that's the principal reason why i add people in web in no reason

  • Saint - Spartacus
    i have no trouble about who add me or not , but i think most of people add me were girls ,^^ as i'm a guy look ... ha ha , anyway a face only a lable , like supermarket, i just glance in a virtual supermaket and add those which have it's own content...
  • Saint - Spartacus
    buy the way , for those who ask my number and my msn , i feel exagerate, i have to say sorry , but glad to receve kindly messageto feel the lovely world and know the lovely people
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    Really want delete someone's name form the list, hate they are just added you and never talk with you !
    WTF!
  • wrote:
    Hi, All
    If you think you are pretty enough and lonlely enough, please add me as your friend, haha, or you can talk with me and have the same kind deep thinking, haha
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    I recommend Mr. Sun is appointed secretary of the team . .........
  • Ms Bla
    Ms Bla wrote:
    ∑ N where is your true icon?I'd like to help you finding. huh
  • wrote:
    Blair Waldorf,

    Will they pay me salary? haha
  • Stanley Zarretta
    I add people just for the fun of it, then check some cool ladies gallery. secondly i think it is cool and stupid too,

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.

Powered by: Bloc