Discussion » Food & Drink » 味精

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) wrote:

While I was preparing dinner, I started thinking about this thing called MSG or 味精 ...

I am not allergic to it, but I prefer using natural ingredients, so I dont use it in my cooking ...

MSG could make a dish tastier, but if you are sensitive to it, you could get quite thirsty ...

Over the last few years in Beijing, I have seen many "master chefs" on TV use MSG in their cooking, so I imagine it is widely used in many restaurants in China ...

So ... what does everyone think?
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    I'm not allergic to it, so Im ok, but not too much. As to natural ingredient..what is "nature", something not synthesized in chemical factory? But our kitchen is a little chemical factory indeed~ eg, when acetic acid, the main content of vinegar, meets oil, there comes ester. And if there is glutamic acid, something widely exist in protein of grain, and we add salt in, there comes monosodium glutamate, the MSG.
    But still, I prefer not add to much of it when preparing dishes, or it will taste little bit bitter.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ...

I think you are referring to the manufacturing process, right? The manufacturing of salt and sugar is of course not natural, but I suppose (but I dont really know) the raw material should be natural ... if I could use your logic, what do you think of, for example, Campbell soup?

I am sure there are still people making salt out of sea water, and sugar crystal out of plants, but most people still get salt and sugar from shops, who had got them from manufacturers ... and we can only assume that the salt and sugar (and soya sauce etc) were made from natural material ... otherwise, what's safe? Hahaha ...
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Errr...actually salt is made out of sea water or inner land salt lakes, and sugar is made out of plants by manufacturers. Manufacturers of salt do not synthesize NaCl by Na+ and, for eg, HCl, they just purify natual NaCl. And it's hard to synthesize sucrose, so manufacturer of sugar just abstract sucrose from cane and beet.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Then ... do you know, how is the lastest generation of MSG manufactured? I dont really know, but I imagine the raw material is not natural
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    I dont really know too, the raw materials? could be grain and salt i think...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... cannot imagine grain and salt making one feel thirsty or bitter ...
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    just checked wiki, the raw material is wheat protein...
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Oh? Hahaha ... I feel old ...
  • Eirin Nilsen
    Eirin Nilsen wrote:
    glumat
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    You're not old, Doraemon, hehe.
    Lots of chemical factory use "nature" raw materials, that's because nature is more efficient. For example, i think we can produce sucrose by ethene, but obviously abstracting it from plants is much more cost saving. Bad examples alse exist: we cannot synthesize heroin, or it will be very hard, but poppy can, haha. We can synthesize the Icy, the methyl amphetamine easily, coz it's stucture is much less complicated. See, men's ability is limited, nature is still fantastic. We merely "creat" something, but just learn and copy stuffs and law that are already exist, haha
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:
    Chemistry class... so boring... passing by... :P
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

If MSG is made of natural raw material, I wonder why many Chinese restaurants in Sydney, or maybe all over Australia, like to tell people that they are MSG free ...
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Coz most people do not know it, and nowadays people use to unconditionally consider all "chemical" stuff non-green, unhealthy -- of coz, consuming too much MSG is unhealthy. Besides, "something made of natual raw material" and "something made out of natual raw material" are slightly different. We can use corn to make popcorn, as well as to make grain alcohol--a kind of new fuel. Popcorn is still sort of "natural", but grain alcohol is an typical chemical substance. Something is made out of natual materials doesn't mean it is natual~~
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... since we are talking about things that we might put into our mouths, talking about grain alcohol is perhaps a bad example, dont you agree?

I dont even have any chicken stock powder in the kitchen, I stick with the basics: salt, sugar, soya sauce, vinegar, wine (red and "huang jiu"), oyster sauce, olive oil ... some curry powder and satay sauce ... some Chinese pickled vegetables ... that's about all ... I think ... heehee

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    the example is to say that whether something is made out of natural, healthy materials is nothing to do with whether it is healthy or not~~

I agree that we'd better use "traditional" or "natual" flavors when cooking, but its not because they are not "chemical". Actually the way we produce grain alcohol for engines is fundamentally the same with the process of vintage: an typical chemical reaction process. And as we all know, a certain percent of all wine is pure alcohol, the C2H5OH. As to vinegar...CH3COOH, haha ;-) We aviod using certain substances in cooking is because they are not healthy, eg, coloring, preservatives, aspartame, and also MSG, but not because they are masively produced and involves obvious chemical reaction
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... DF ... you are making something fun, i.e. cooking and eating, into something boring, i.e. chemistry ...
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Yeah! hahaha :-D
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Let's make it more fun again ... shall we?

Inviting anyone interested in cooking to talk about their ingredients, as well as MSG, if that is what you use ... hahaha ... let's eat ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.