Discussion » Film & TV » Bleach Nip Tuck: The White Myth

• Sheryl Zhong
    Sheryl Zhong wrote:
    Watched this program on Channel 4 last night, it was highly entertaining and the best lines I've ever heard in my life

"I don't like my African nose because it doesn't fit with my lifestyle"
    "Now people would show me more respect because I have a more Caucasian nose, and I feel instantly wealthier"

WTF!!!

We touched upon this when Jacko passed away, but com'on, nobody in their right mind thinks Jacko looks good in his last 10 years of life, surely that should serve like a warning to those who want to change their colour/look, that if you aren't born white, you can never look white.

What really bugs me is this beauty standard in China (as well as Japan and particularly Korea), that the whiter you are, the sharper jawline you have, the bigger eyes you got, the prettier. All these girls posing for their photos with a powdered white face, dyed ginger hair and made up two folds eyes just piss me the right off.

If those in the program had the excuse of 'trying to blend in, to be accepted in the western society', what excuses do we have to judge beauty based on the European face? All these reinforces cultural/ethnic inferiority which should be challenged, not conformed to.
  • John
    John wrote:
    BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL! I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD!

And I agree with you completely. There's beauty in every race. There's beauty in every individual. Most people are just to lazy to seek out the beauty in others.

It is what it is....
  • Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:
    Haha, the look of many chinese girls are so.. wrong! Superwhite, shitloads of makeup and fucked up hair and those trying-to-be-cute poses is nor sexy or cute, just freaky.

But if chinese girls got som nice tan and not overdo the makeup, a lot of them would look jawdropping hot, and maybe the tan would even add some contrast on the jawline you mentioned as well ;)
  • Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:
    John: Got that right, every race has good stuff :-) Chinese = Slim, Blacks = Booty, White = Um.. boobs? xD

And of all races can be both really beautiful or butt ugly. Good luck we're different in taste as well, right? :-)
  • John
    John wrote:
    Right. : )
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Hey lets leave MJ out of this. He has been through things we know nothing about and those things may have affected him in a negative way. For a start try being black in the most racist country in the world. I grew up half in rural areas and most of my life in a black community where I was the only white kid. So I felt the social backlash until people started to realize that there was more to me than a white face. That experience opened my eyes and I am thankful for it even though it was a tough lesson to learn as a kid when you cannot seem to figure out why you keep getting your ass kicked every day when you did not do anything to deserve it. I got stabbed at age 17 and I identified the boys that did it and the DA dropped the charges because it was an election year and the perps where black and I am white, so they did not want to lose the black vote. Southern Louisiana is my birthplace and boasts one of the largest split black and white populations in the USA. They are still so racist. Do not underestimate white privilege. It exists and it is real. It may have not been created by us, but it is perpetuated by some of us. Sociology is also real. Read up on racist America (who I may add is the most influential country in the world and its leaders have been largely white until just recently. Please do not be misled to think because we have Obama that racism is dead in the USA and in the world. I hope he helps to kill it, but it will take more effort. I am lucky I look like I am only caucasian because gives me advantages that many are not aware of. i have experienced these advantages all my life. It is no wonder people want to whiten their skin. Think a little harder about this issue before we judge. We have created a system of marginalization and fooled ourselves into thinking our task to end racism is over. It is not over, it has just begun! Fight for what is right, not only white! Peace to all my brothers and sisters on the globe. One Love!
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    Oh yeah people are beautiful period HAHA! You know :P Your all beautiful! Stay up on life and love as much as you can because we never know when we say goodbye.
  • John
    John wrote:
    Great post Kodi and you're right, its far from over! Yet, I think the best way to put an end to it is to not let it dictate your life. I'm lucky to have grown up in Atlanta. We RUN this city.

Everyone wants success. Let's just not sell out our ancestors to get it! Stay true to yourself regardless of circumstance.
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    How do you get Channel 4?
  • Shane
    Shane wrote:
    Sheryl always seems so angry in all of her posts....

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.