Discussion » Feedback & Suggestions » Search by Nationality

• Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:
    Today we have "Hometown" to indicate where you are from - The problem is that members have to type this in by text, so you can't really use this data to search for people by hometown today.

I suggest that we remove this, and in stead add a dropdown button for choosing nationality. (Norwegian, English, Chinese, Russian, etc) This way we can add nationality in member search, so if you wanna find for instance other Norwegians living in beijing, you can do just that :-)

What are your thoughts on this, fellas? :-)
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Technical part is fine ... but not sure if this would be a good idea ... also, who is to say that the information provided it true or not?
  • Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:
    1. Why are you not sure if it's a good idea?
    2. That's nothing we can control. But if some wierdo wants to live out a crazy dream about being swedish by pretending so on our site, that's not really a big problem. just a piss in the sea :-) It's worse if they give out a fake name and have fake pictures - that's identity theft.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    It couldn't be any worse than hiding behind an avatar and using a fake name.

Ha.
  • Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:
    People are either full fake, or not fake. There´s nobody who would have a real profile with a fake nationality. Unless they are Americans who are ashamed of their country... *caugh*PETE*caugh* X-D

(joking) ;-)
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Agree with Kent that it'd be rare for someone to tag themselves with a nationality that isn't theirs. It's a moot point.

I'm proud to be an American. We're the land of war, obesity and cutting-edge technology.

Millions of dead civilians, McDonald's and Google.

What's not to love?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Well, we all know that some people prefer Americans (accent and all that), and for those minority, they might not get much attention when their nationality is known before even they say hello to anyone ... I am not sure if there is a better way to explain this ... hope it makes sense ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Two more points ...

If you guys are thinking about doing "target advertising" (in future perhaps) based on nationallity, I can see your point ... but such information should not be made public by default, maybe add a tick to allow people to choose whether to display it?

There are many people with dual nationality, e.g. I am Australian as well as Hong Kong SAR (China, but not China), I can use either ... but would this feature allow dual nationality?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.