Discussion » Dating & Romance » Favorite romantic places for dinner dates in Beiji

• 北摄 Beijing Center Of Photography
    北摄 Beijing Center Of Photography wrote:
    New to the city, could you guys tell me where are the best places to bring a gal out for a dinner date in Beijing?

here's my contribution.
    www.cafesambal.com
    Bed Bar
    Located in Zhang Wang Hutong near Jiu (old) Gulou Dajie, it's like Bed&Supper Club in Bangkok, but more greyish and concrete style (really beijing's hutong style)

Gals, care to share where are the most romantic places guys brought you to in Beijing?
  • KATHY
    KATHY wrote:
    Some places like HouHai.
    I'v been to places like GouLou, HouHai etc.
    i know there are clusters of cafes, restaurants and clubs there, any specific names with special characteristics?
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    I like Tairyo Teppanyaki. There is one in Gongti and another in Haidian. The all you can drink sake can produce some spectacular results. ;-)
    how's the ambience and atmosphere?

quality of food's secondary. what's important is the mood of the place.
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Well, its kind of festive. Teppanyaki is kind of a show, and watching a teppanyaki chef at work can be kind of like entertainment. Also,at teppanyaki restaurants the seating is usually side-by-side, so its kind of cozy.
    thanks Peter... appreciate the recommendation.

but the side-by-side seating also means both of us will be squeezed by others on our lefts and rights.

maybe i should rephrase myself ....
    (1) candlelit, cozy, with some privacy space
    (2) quiet, so you can whisper sweet nothings
    (3) good scent...
    (4) good service by waiters (and they will be happy to hide your proposal diamond ring in the dessert/cake or call in the spanish guitarist...)
    (5) cozy sofas where you can sit very near one another... (and far away from other dinners/couples)

i find plenty of such cafes/restaurants in cities/resorts like Bali island, Phuket, Paris, Buenos Aires, New York but very few in Beijing. Romance's not in the air here :P
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    Ah, your idea of "romance" and mine are slightly different. In that case, I recomend Flo's on Dongsanhuan. It is a French restaurant, which of course, automaticaly makes it romantic. It fits most of your criteria, but it ain't cheap. Expect to pay 300 person for dinner alone. If you go for wine, the bill can easily top 1000.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Because this is Beijing, there are two things to consider:

(1) Is this girl a Chinese or not? Or more specifically, can you describe her personality?
    (2) How much can you afford?

My guess is that this is something important, so either her birthday or perhaps a proposal? ... well, if you dont want to lose too many brain cells over it, places like Legendale, the Regent and the Peninsula would be my best bet ... be expect to pay at least 300 per person just for one main course (and the service), or easily double that if you want a three course dinner, even more for a good bottle of wine or champange ... I have been to both Cafe99 and Bar and Grill of the Regent, and I like the Bar and Grill a bit better ...

I also went to Flo in July 2006, for our wedding anniversary, the place itself is quite nice, the service and food are both very professional, but being this is Beijing, people do tend to talk loud and it could destroy the mood ...

Interestingly, for the same kind of money, most people dont like to go to 5-star hotels ...
  • Ariel Midtun
    Ariel Midtun wrote:
    taking a girl out to a place which is like the one you described earliert would be so cheesy
  • Swantech
    Swantech wrote:
    Try to go "Solana" , we call "blue bay", quite a romantic place for lovers and good food and bars there!!
  • Peter S 李贝勒
    so, in Houhai, i advice the 'Nuage' with a table next to the window to see the lac, the evening with the light will be more romantic. In san Litun u have' le petit gourmand' french restaurant, good food, good environement, and we all know that french are the ambassador of romantism, hehe. And yes flo is a little bite too expensive and maybe too much. If u like music, every wednesday evening U can listen jazz band in LUCE an italian restaurant, next to gulou. After, U could have a glass in houhai or in 'Balls' a pool bar next to the drum tower, where u will be able to be closer to ur lovely guest... hey! Lance lee; i think food is as important as the environment, if what u eat give a smile to ur mouth and to her mouth, she will think that u re a person with good taste, a good point for u... so avoid Mac Donald and KFC hehe
    be cool, smart, spiritual and funny at the same time! hehe oh, in france we have an expression, 'femme qui rit femme a moitier dans son lit' it means, girl who u make laugh is already in ur bed at 50% and don t forget to be well educated, open the doors for her, give ur hand to help her to go out from the cab, take care of her in the stairs, etc etc.Oups, i think i went to far from the subject and talk to much...
    So, have a good evening
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    haha...Tairyo Teppanyaki is too crowded and noisy .

for dinner, Club Camp(侃谱)is wonderful, yunnan food and the place is romantic too. i saw lots of time pop stars like Faye Wong having dinner there.
    it is near Gongti South Gate, next to Coco Banana.

for coffe, several places...Sha lou(沙漏)、Zhazha(喜鹊)and Xiaoxindedian(小新的店) in NLGX, and some some and quite cafe near the Museum are also good.

Some Special Cafe i used to go:
    one is called PengHao(蓬蒿), it is a drama theater in Dong Mian Hua Hutong(near NLGX too), but it also has a cafe place, nice and romantic enough.

Sculpting In Time( 雕刻时光),several chains in beijing, one in Haidian, near Foreign Language School; one in Lidu, Wangjing; one in Wudaokou; one in Xiangshan Mountain (香山)

and my favorite place is Neverland Cafe, in east of Wanda, also near to ur workplace. if the girl u date like books, reading, arts and this type of thing, thats the best place. since the underground of this cafe is the famous bookstore ONE WAT STREET(单向街×书).
    ONE WAY STREET has another chains , one is in Yuanmingyuan(圆明园), the cafe there is designed in Bauhaus style; a new one is in SoLANA...but i've never been to the new one.

Bar...
    how about Susie Wong..or Nashville Club, nice musice in Saturday night. both of them near SoLANA.

and actually one of the most romantic place is Summer Palace when sunset, when nobody there...haha, but now its quite cold.
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    add one. in Dong Mian Hua hutong, there is a bar with typical beijing flavor, JiangHu(江湖), almost all nights has rock and new-folk bands performance there!
  • Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:
    I think whatever is nice + creative and original would be a good choice - unless it's eating street food in a dark alley - This way, your night is going to stand out of the crowd and be more memorable than any other ^^
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.