Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » How many foreigners use QQ

• Mia
    Mia wrote:
    QQ is the most popular IM in china, almost everyone have a QQ number. In china QQ is not just a way to communicate—it's a phenomenon, a part of culture, and a daily necessity.
    Recently, I notice that there are more and more foreigners useing QQ to chat with chinese people. QQ help them realize china more directly.
    Also, it's could be a good way to learn chinese language especially characters by QQ.
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    never heard of qq how does one get it
  • Man TianFei
    Man TianFei wrote:
    haha, in my mind,QQ only belong to chinese :-) .but now i know have a few foreignor use it too.
  • Ed Legend
    Ed Legend wrote:
    Hmm, I don't have it as most Chinese people I know also use MSN. As that's the most common in the UK, I haven't seen the need to get hold of QQ.
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Well, one of my friends in China and I have been chatting in skype, since messenger didn't work at that time...I still prefer msn messenger and the video chatting capabilities, and other little things like imsweet, where you can leave cursie items in your friends message.

If qq is just in Chinese characters, it wouldn't help me as i am just into pnyin now.
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    The thing with QQ is (as I understand it) anyone can contact you once you are signed in, not just your contacts. This is a big drawback, IMO. I'm quite happy with MSN; most of my Chinese friends have it.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Do I count as foreigner? Well, I am definitely not a local ... I do use QQ as well as MSN, oh, Skype and Fetion too:

1. Peter B ... I am (nearly) certain that you can set the security so that not everyone can contact you ... or maybe because I am not interesting, so no one contacts me, hahaha

2. Steven ... I have not tried the latest version of QQ, so I am not sure if it supports any English interface, but Tencent (the company that developed QQ) have also developed TM (Tencent Messenger), which has a very nice English interface, but it does not have the full function of QQ ... if you only need the basics (chatting, file transfer, video/voice chat, screen capture), then TM is OK

By the way, if you use English version of Windows with QQ (2008 or earlier?), when you type Chinese characters, they can be difficult to read on your screen ... but they will work fine on the other person's screen

3. there are many varieties of MSN virus, and they are difficult to cure ... up to now, I have not heard of a QQ virus yet ...

4. I have used Skype for 8+ years, but since TOM.com took over, Skype seems to crash at least once everyday ...

5. I started using Fetion last year ... if you have a China Mobile number, Fetion is a nice little thing for chatting as well as sending SMS, even sending to a group ... it can be free depending on which service you have paid/subscribed

Overall ... QQ (or TM) is not too bad, if you only want to chat and each QQ number is unique ...
  • Amay
    Amay wrote:
    叮噹 to me you are a foreigner. because i never seen you write in chinese
    but if you have some chinese blood, so you are a part of china even you are not a local
    as i know, you can speak cantonese right? i love cantonest, it sounds beautiful, i am learning it ,and always
    well, for this topic, in my opinion, qq is more convenion and it is direct and funny. and i totally agree the third of 叮噹's point:there are many varieties of MSN virus, and they are difficult to cure ... up to now, I have not heard of a QQ virus yet ...
    i suport foreigner use QQ

• Shane
    Shane wrote:
    I like QQ for the quick and simple reason that when people add me, they say "你好“ and not "Hello". QQ is the people's IM service. Its used by everyone, not just the more "elite" chinese. I've met quite a few cool people on it, too.
    If you plan on staying in Chinese long-term and want to fit in with normal people, you have to have QQ.
  • Shane
    Shane wrote:
    And its like facebook, MSN, and a lot of other things all wrapped up into one format. It runs amazingly slow sometimes, I have used it for about 3 months and I'm really impressed.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Amay ... using Chinese or English, should not indicate whether I am Chinese or foreigner, a lot of foreigners here can type Chinese too, and perhaps speak better Chinese than me ... hahahaha ... and saying "some Chinese blood" is a little bit discriminative, dont you agree? ...

• Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    I have used QQ for almost 2 years now its quite amazing...and it gives u a wide range of varieties of chinese people different ways of thinking among chinese people villagers and city people, people who dont give a fuck about life, people who really love their culture, people who hate foreigners , people who are more curious about foreigners, and people who are ther to educate others and to welcome us foreigners....my experience there gave me a way on how to deal with chinese people due to their responce with me....its good, i really hope all of us foreigners can really get themselves QQ numbers and see by themselves
  • Amay
    Amay wrote:
    hehe 叮当,you are right. but notice, for me you are a little bit of foreigner, haha i hope you are a original chinese, so i can be more proud of you.^_^
    ohh i dont know where are you from?excuse me? embarrassed ^_^
    oooo, Mathew Abisai is a good soul, ha i am proud of you^_*
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    I M FROM NAMIBIA IN AFRICA I FEEL BAD IF PEOPLE DONT KNOW WHERE MY COUNTRY IS BUT ITS NEXT TO SOUTH AFRICA WHERE THE NEXT FOOTBALL WORLD CUP WILL BE HELD NEXT YEAR. SORRY FOR ADVERTISING MY COUNTRY, back to the topic i am more of foreigners Amay because the topic is about foreigners using QQ, its even a good thing to invite more foreigners to start using it inorder for QQ not to be viewed as a chinese thing only... Its for everyone to interact and share ideas and educate each other and talk shit also if they want to cos they can....just like on msn facebook and anything else....thanks for the positive comments u made about me Amay I really appreciate it
  • NN
    NN wrote:
    Just use QQ with family members and classmates,that is all
  • Yuki Inés
    Yuki Inés wrote:
    i am not a foreigner, but long time havn't used QQ...
    when once or twice foreigners asked me for QQ, i was super suprised....
  • BLCUer
    BLCUer wrote:
    qq is good。
  • Fahad Hashmi
    Fahad Hashmi wrote:
    i m using QQ for more than 3 years.... but i can't make a lot of friends there because most of pals there don't know English n i can't write Chinese characters ..... n its ma fan si le.... :P
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Fahad ... may I ask, which version of QQ are you using? Or are you using TM?
  • Janet Peng
    Janet Peng wrote:
    Ha, so funny to see people here talking about having a QQ number.

I've been using that for over......ten years, I think, since I was a freshman in senior high. At the beginning, we looked for strangers who we may make friends with, and we chatted, chatted, chatted, as we never chatted with people before. When we grew up, we used it more careful because there were lots of people there looking for something we can't provide. Then when we graduated, our QQ list sharply shrinked. It becomes more like a connection to people we know, like friends, classmates, colleagues, relatives (and now I have my mom in my list too. She just started to learn how to use computer to chat with me online lately. And she is doing quite well.) Most of the time, we choose to stay invision because we don't want to be interruptted. We refused to add more people, especially strangers because it is meaningless and a waste of time to chat with strangers.

The cool thing is through your QQ number, you can have your own unique site where you can put your pics on, write journals, you can also make your own decoration to the site.

I didn't know any foreingors are using it. But it is quite Chinese. If foreignors can type Chinese characters, it would be fun to use it.
  • Fahad Hashmi
    Fahad Hashmi wrote:
    @叮噹 now a days m using 2009 Version of it n before that i had TM.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

I had lots of "fun" with the older versions, so I stick with TM ... for chatting, it is very stable and no virus (c.f. MSN) ... though not very convenient if I want to go to QZone ...
  • Fahad Hashmi
    Fahad Hashmi wrote:
    @ya thats y i don like it...:P
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Another point about QQ ... when I was using the older version of QQ on my DELL (running English Windows XP), typing Chinese characters is a pain ... because the chacracters would overlap and I had to add a few spaces between every two characters, making it very slow to type ...

Do you type Chinese on 2009 version? And does it overlap?
  • Fahad Hashmi
    Fahad Hashmi wrote:
    no its quite better then that version . n also i don't type in chinese a lot... i use pinyin.. :P
  • MiLo
    MiLo wrote:
    Funny!QQ is more powerful than MSN!
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Not sure if it is "powerful" but as Isabel wrote "入乡随俗" ... and it does seem to be more popular than MSN within China, plus the fact that MSN can get virus, QQ is much more "user friendly" ...
  • くり
    くり wrote:
    i use qq and i like it basically because is way more fancy than msn and in china msn doesnt "work" that well....
  • Nadia Mohammad
    i don't use QQ, i don't use MSN, i do use SKYP sometime, i am using PIDGIN, because of my work. i think i prefer Email, SMS or just a call. i don't really like typing and i don't want to type for too long, so i don't know how to end a conversation, i would rather not starting it....
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    there is an English and International version of QQ that is a little simpler to use, for your average idiot foreigners, of which I am one.
  • MiLo
    MiLo wrote:
    Join this QQ group 10908673(WLIB_No.1) then we will know how many foreigners useQQ,come on!
  • Olaf G.
    Olaf G. wrote:
    QQ is notorious for itsspyware,isnt it?
  • Annie Ann
    Annie Ann wrote:
    i don't even use QQ, i hate the user interface of QQ, so childish.
  • MiLo
    MiLo wrote:
    Push!Push!Push!
    All guys in WLIB, Join this QQ group 10908673, hurry up!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.