Discussion » Feedback & Suggestions » All things English must have an American flag?

• Sheryl Zhong
    Sheryl Zhong wrote:
    Just spotted this, can you change it to something more neutral please?
    Put an American flag against the section for All things English is a bit...American
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    We thought of you when we designed it.

Actually, we wanted to use the American flag because it was either that, the Union Jack or splitting the two and making a hybrid. Since the resolution would be too low if we split the image, we chose to go with the more superior flag.

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Nope. Since America was the birthplace of the English language, those flags wouldn't be appropriate, sweety.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

For some reasons I cannot comprehend, American English is considered the proper English standard in China, and with that being the reason, I can see why the USA flag was chosen ... only if they know that America is only the continent (or country) but not the origin of the language ...

I would love to see someone in China re-writing "My Fair Lady", but with Higgins from USA, maybe east coast, and a Chinese girl playing Eliza, that would be fun :)
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Hahahahaha. We're trying to improve our Norwinglish. Soon...
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Nope. Norwinglish. But Sweinglish sounds saucier.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Hey! I resemble that remark!
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    And proud of it. Now if you excuse me, my steak-eating friends and I have some small countries to invade. Back in a flash.
  • 王经纬
    王经纬 wrote:
    米人一语狂霸无识粗鄙无味呜呼
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    How many Americans are in BJ vs. the Brits? I am for changing our national language to American..it is now much different than the cockneyed British. Also, every country has their own language but US...so strange. To me its a no brainer..US=350 million people (quite a few Chinese over here)and growing England=60 million and declining. Now a good thread might be do you learn to speak ESL in American, British, or Aussie accent. mmmmm
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Okay, okay... after we peel ourselves away from our Nintendo emulators, we'll discuss it.

(Yeah, we're dorks.)

But, in all seriousness, "ABC" is deprived from the Latin-based alphabet and is used in more than just the English language.

Any other ideas?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Okay. We just had a meeting.

Co-worker: "Tell them here's some English words for them: 'FUCK THAT.'"
    Co-worker #2: "Uh, I can't think of anything."

Sorry, Sheryl.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Haha. 2-for-1.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Pitchfork gave the new Fuck Buttons record a 9.0.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Haven't seen them yet...
  • Pomatree
    Pomatree wrote:
    guess this topic is too logical and acdemic for me....just passing by.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hurray to American marketing ... thanks to Gates, for bringing forth the international standard ...

Fact is fact, even though American English is the standard of International English, using the American flag is really misleading ...

Using what Sheryl and Pete said, minus the foreplay, would it make more sense to change the category from "All things English" to "All things American"?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.