Discussion » Beijing Life » Love without words

• Zhaohong
    Zhaohong wrote:
    I just suddenly think on one movie (forget the name). Man and woman both only can speak their own native language, it means they can speak but can not understand the words meaning each other. They stayed together like this for one year, and they fell in love finally.
    Now go back to real life, do you think it will happen or people can fall in love without any communication(talking)? not including one sight in love... When I asked to my friend, he was laughing at my naive. I think that kind of love is great, isn't?
  • 哎呀
    哎呀 wrote:

I think it's possible for people to fall in love even though they can't understand their partners' words.

But I don't think this love could last for a very long time unless either of them or both of them try to learn the other party's language.

• Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Eleven years ago I married a Russian woman and her English was non-existant, but we both gambled at love. We often communicated by sign langauage and rudimentary Englsih and Russian at first. Fortunately for me her, her ability to learn English was good and was made a professor of music (piano)here in America just 3 months after coming to USA.

We thought we could learn to love and did have such good times, and were able to communicate a lot without words at first. In our case we both fell out of love in 8 years.

Maria Ma is very correct. I would also add, it is important to the spouse living in the new foreign country to learn and accept the culture of the new country. Love is hard enough foster and maintain among natives. For others it takes even more give and take and certain acceptances.
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    I would almost agree with you Zhaohong....at first love, oe its perception, will overide other concerns and we will do most anything. Times tells whether the love can last.
  • Peter Baird
    Peter Baird wrote:
    I've seen it happen, but the two people in question were very, very simple people. I think this kind of relationship is only possible with people who don't need much out of relationship.
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    I have been told most Chinese marriages are based on economics anyway....often a strong, loving relationship is not needed. Is this correct?
  • JILL
    JILL wrote:
    i dont agree the saying '浪漫需要浪费'.
    Romantic is needed between lovers,but i think a goodnight kiss everyday is a romance.
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    I don't know characters..not sure of the saying. I agee with both of you. We beleive in love, and nothing like a good nite kiss...ok ok followed later my a good morning kiss and I love you. Romance is grand.
  • NN
    NN wrote:
    It does exist,but very few
    Somehow the language communication is not a problem for 2 people whom did not have common language,but the inside understanding is really very important.If you cant read the other's inside,then the relationship will still have many problems
  • NN
    NN wrote:
    in chinese,there is one saying 心有靈犀一點通
    u can still see many couples(I mean married couples) which did not have coincident understanding each other,they married for duty only ...
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Nana, I surely hope my marriage to a Chinese girl is not like that (duty)..I prefer the idea of a soul partner as Zhaohong stated.....surely it must be possible.

Zhaohong, xie xie for your niceness. understand my Gf is in Suzhou and I get to go to China every 2-3 months. Every single nite..the last thing done is a good nite kiss and I love you very much. zzzzzz sweet dreams in the morning begins with a morning kiss and I love you more than yesterday. What a way to start and end eaxh day in love love as it should be..
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Well, several things. Assuming we get married in China, it would be a 10 minute register at the government building in Nanjing. My guess a simple dinner with the family, a honeymoon, then return to US. I would assume we would do some sort of wedding celebration in China..either right away, or when i pick her up 4-12 months later after the exit visa to USA is given. Then in America, we would host some sort of wedding party then.

My target date for marriage is this March, about a year later than I desired. Wanting to have 1-2 kids, i don't want to wait too long.

hahahah now probably won't do that funky, but so cool, dancing wedding, unless my Chinese wife wanted to. something tells me, she would be more traditional.
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    you know there are many reasons to marry an educated Chinese girl...one being their education. I have planned this for many many years...its about time my dreams come true.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.