Discussion » Music » The next big thing...

• Sheryl Zhong
    Sheryl Zhong wrote:
    Last year someone predicted Santigold as the next big thing, but came La Roux and Little Boots and they ruined it all

My money is on Synth Pop in 2010, it's everywhere, it's sickening, but it's good
    Check out MIRRORS, Junior Boys, Passion Pit and Wild Palms
    http://www.myspace.com/mirrorsmirrorsmirrors

My personal new favourite is HEALTH's new release Die Slow
    http://www.last.fm/music/HEALTH/_/Die+Slow+(Tobacco+Remix)

Your predictions for 2010?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I think with the dissemination of technology and the fragmentation of markets, "the next big thing" may consigned to the early-2000s.

With that said, all of those bands rock. Synth pop has been steadily gaining a foothold here in Beijing since mid-2006, but with every new band who creates sexy, bouncy beats, a dozen more create derivative and forgettable trash.

A trend that I've noticed are those (Vampire Weekend, Girls, Fucked Up, These Are Powers... the Beijing band Gum Bleed) who incorporate a dozen-or-so sounds into undefinable genres.

But, as always, music journalists feel as if they should slap a label on everything.

Music journalists. God, I hate those pretentious fuckers.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Your sarcasm detector must have malfunctioned.

Haven't heard the new Vampire record yet.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Yep. Shoegaze is catching on here, too. I'll check out these songs when I get a minute.

Oh, do you remember that band the Reason? They added vocals to those instrumental tracks. First screamo band to use Auto Tone. It's devastating.

• Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Nice. And I love the totally radical 1980s art design.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    "Joy Fantastic" has a definite Outkast influence.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Looks like he's always been based in the hip hop tradition: J Dilla, DJ Premier... those kind of influences.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Exactly. Because we all know that hip hop is for black folks only.
  • Peter S 李贝勒
    Traditional chinese music can only be composed by chinese, waltz by Austrian and raining dance by american indian people, blues only by black etc etc.
    wow! white man and hip hop don t go! ahah, say that to the beastie boys...
  • Kcina
    Kcina wrote:
    really i dont agree when you talked about that one sort of skin colors can sing that kinda of song or not , etc.., serious there are many white people that can sing jazz and rbn ( black music ) and then there is really good black singers that can sing rock...
    ps:" eminem "( white boy )
    a new fresh rock indies band " the noisettes "( black girl singing )
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    My comment ("Because we all know that hip hop is for black folks only") was purely sarcastic (讽刺).

And the Noisettes are great.
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Awesome. Alienating 101,000 users of the community, one member at a time.

Now run along, toots, and make me a sandwich.

*slaps virtual ass

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.