Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » Pinyin and the Chinese language - Advice

• Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    For a foreigener at 58, living in the US, what is the best way to learn Chinese. It seems to me that learning pinyin to be able to speak is the most important way to start. Characters seem way too complex and complicated for my simple mind..maybe it will come later when I am married and can have my sweety explain them in detail. Xie xie.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    Should be a easier way, bro, and pay attention to the "four tones", quit essencial in letting others know exactly what you mean~there are already tons of funny stories abt the tone thing, haha~ Jiayou
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Thx DF...my gf correctsd me all the time. Xie xie...wo qin ai de pengyou!

So funny! I can go into a restaurant now, with my so, so limted hanyu and order. "Fuwuyuan" I say. "Caidan" I look at the menu and say " Wo yao na ge" or "wo yao zhe ge" 'xie xie" at the end "Fuwuyuan...maidan" Duushou qien" and then I let my gf pay and finish it up.. the trouble here is that most restaurants don't have pictures on the menus, but characters.....out of my league right now.
  • Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:
    so it's just a easier way for beginner~ sooner or later, you had to learn those characters in order to read. Oh, as to pinyin, one of the fastest Chinese learner I know used to mark every pinyin with a 1-5 number represents its tone, eg, mark "wo qin ai de peng you" as "wo3 qin1 ai4 de5 peng2 you3". Should be a better way~
  • Cathleen
    Cathleen wrote:
    it is a good advice to mark by number 1-5...i didnt think about it before...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.