Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » dont know what to do...

• Appolinariya
    Appolinariya wrote:
    people, i m here for 3 years. but still hate something chinese people do. its about behavior in public places. what to do with this?
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    I'd say that since you're privileged enough to live in one of the world's most dynamic and exciting cities, you should get used to it. Try reading a few books on sociology and develop an attitude of cultural tolerance. If that doesn't work and you're still upset about behavioral differences in the public sphere, it may be a good idea to relocate.
  • 爱谁谁
    爱谁谁 wrote:
    i admit that chinese have some bad habit or behavior even though in such a big city...and even us chinese also dislike it..
    but people should look at it in some objective way: any society phenomena is not only from the habit or tradionl, but also from the history, economy, life pressure and so on...i think when people live with much pressure all the life, they have less attention about the good manner... it also about the education, but as a big country, its hard to give good education to everyone.
    i dislike those behavior either, but i dont hate it...why hate?
    hate will give your bad mood , if you cant change it, just get used to it..or keep away from it.., or pay more attention to look the excellence or more convenient point of beijing.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

My turn? hee hee ... there is a Chinese saying, something like "if you dont see it, it is not there", so simple things like spitting and rubbish, I have tuned myself to ignore them ... we all know that it is wrong, but it seems to be a norm in China, just as the sky is blue and cloud is white ...

As for something more serious, e.g. smoking in designated non smoking zones, which is technically an illegal act, I often made a big fuzz out of it ... how big? heehee, let's just say that my wife does not think my accident cover is enough ...

I cannot wait to see what happens when China pushes for no smoking in indoor area or covered areas, like when Hong Kong did it a few years ago ... that would be a "lovely" scene...
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    Chinese are disgusting and Stupid
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Chinese are disgusting and stupid?

Get the fuck out of China, then.
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    They Lack common Sense...Always Victims of Foreigners..My God I have never seen such Default people in my life
  • Pete DeMola
    Pete DeMola wrote:
    Blah, blah, blah, blah.

You seem like the dumbest person who's ever written anything in the history of this website in saying "Chinese are disgusting and stupid," and the mangled statement that you just posted above.

With that said, if you dislike the Chinese so much, than why are you even here? Furthermore, why are you posting this on an online community designed by people who love China, respect China and is full of people who feel the same way?

Wait a minute... most of the people who use this website are Chinese? Imagine that.

Do everyone a favor and fly to the airport tomorrow. I'll even pay for your cab.
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    dont stress over my stupid act..relax you mind....why is it so sensitive to you..relax man
  • 王经纬
    王经纬 wrote:
    To Appolinariya
    First of all your topic is funny, to be honest, nobody really cares about whether you like China, Chinese people or not, so do not worry about whether you say it politly or not. In order to help you, I work out some advices.
    " POINT IS HOW TO STOP SEEING THINGS I DONT LIKE"??
    Couple of methods to sovle this problem:
    1. kill them all or teach them all to act as your definition of good behavior.
    2. close your eyes, or blind yourself.
    3. go back to your own country,(sorry the polite way is "relocate yourself") or a place designed in your common sense.
    The best way to solve this problem is to leave. Seriously, because this country is not designed for your guys and not based on your common sense. You can used your common sense in your country but not in China, sorry to tell the truth so directly.

Another common sense I suggest is that normally a person gets closer to the things he/she likes, leave further away from the things he/she dislikes. If you keep living in a country in which you can tolerate a lot of things. Then what's your problem, are you trying to torture yourself; or making some materials that you can use to complain; or some one locked you up there, you couldn't escape; or you really got serious head damage. No offense, just some nice suggestion and kidding.
    The world might be full of the things you dislike everywhere, but fortunately you have your right to choose, why dont you choose the things you like!!!!! (Being rational, learnt from Pete and Peter!! Thanks )
    Cheers
    世上本无事,庸人自扰之!!
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Jee, tell us how you really feel.

Appolinaraya...you never did say what it is you do not like. What is the bad behaviors? In many countries there are bad behaviors. I didn't like that my first gf felt awkward to kiss at the airport..too public she said and most Chinese don't show affection in public places. My new gf has no such hangups at the airport.

Hate is a strong word. I suggest you avoid the things, places that make you uncomfortable. I find China and its people wonderful. While I dislike with passion the 'hole", while I am in China, I am silent.

Now Jee, I hope you aren't being serious."the country not designed for you guys" we are into globalization, and BJ is a world class city.

Cheers & zaijian.
  • 王经纬
    王经纬 wrote:
    haha Thanks Steven, really no offense, I can see Appolinaraya''s point, and I'm just trying to help. But as you can see,due to I'm not native English speaker, so some words may not be that appropriate. Forgive me, but my speaking indeed is direct.

Your story of gfs is good one. You can not accept the ex one's attitude of showing affection in public, then you choose the one you can cope with. Don't have to say who is right or not. Wise way, good model.

Mathew Abisai is a model too. He said "Chinese are disgusting and Stupid ", if he really thinks that way, Nothing wrong. I'm ok. You can not force others to like you.

But if somebody does suffer from living in China, we do need to help him/her out !!!
    Yep I'm sure I said that "the country not designed for you guys". It's idea is simple to understand. For instance, USA is designed by American people and for American people, Korea is designed for Korean etc etc. If I go to work or live this these countries, of course I will obey the local law and custom, try to cope with the things I'm not familiar with. If I really cannot stand any more, I definitely leave. Should I go to Korea to tell Korean people in their country, "you should do this do this, dont do that dont do that..." Am I silly if I do that, that's their country not mine, which has nothing to do with me. I'm not God, I dont think I have the capacity to teach them! coz we dont say "In God We trust", we dont have ambition to liberate the whole world, we dont get into our neighbour's houses to force them to learn how to cook in our way!!!

I believe that every country is different and has their own way, designed for themselves first.

• Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    I agree with you Jee 100%. You didn't offend me at all. You were right. I wish I knew what annoyed her in public..Some things would be disgusting anywhere.

Yes, all countries have their own ways....culture. now the US is fairly multi-cultured now.

Now Mathew is wrong to say what he said..that was just mean...feel sorry for people like that..An old adage my mom taught me, "if you can't say something nice about someone (or peoples) don't say it at all"
  • 王经纬
    王经纬 wrote:
    Thanks Steven.
    I think Mathew is ok. We should not hate or abuse people, or be upset by them, just because they dislike us! If he thinks "Chinese are disgusting and stupid", then he thinks that way. Who really cares!! There is no necessary to worry about it !! And No need to say wrong or right !!

But I do hope the people who get stuck on something in China, can find their way to go through it or sovle the issue. I'd happy to see people stop torturing themselves by living in China, and complaining about us. What's the point of doing this.!??
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    Guys I apologise for what was written here by my friend who was using my PC when i was sleeping....I really wanted to give my views in a positive way but i was too tired....the last comment that i left on was

My turn? hee hee ... there is a Chinese saying, something like "if you dont see it, it is not there", so simple things like spitting and rubbish, I have tuned myself to ignore them ... we all know that it is wrong, but it seems to be a norm in China, just as the sky is blue and cloud is white ...

As for something more serious, e.g. smoking in designated non smoking zones, which is technically an illegal act, I often made a big fuzz out of it ... how big? heehee, let's just say that my wife does not think my accident cover is enough ...

I cannot wait to see what happens when China pushes for no smoking in indoor area or covered areas, like when Hong Kong did it a few years ago ... that would be a "lovely" scene...

I am so sorry guys, I know it should be one of my friends who were still at my place that time I understand the blame is all going to me...I am not the kind of person to say such stupid things in public

Appolinariya Knows that

but I really appologise for this cos its still under my name...thats not how i feel about chinese people at all...

if i felt that way then i would have left this place long time ago

I love this country, I love its people they are providing me with good education and providing me with a lot of skills i never had

I am not a model I am a graphics designer and a photographer

Once again I hope I get forgiveness from everyone
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... Mathew, that just looks too familiar, dont you think so? Next time, if you are going to copy anyone else's stuff, especially from the same page or same web site, it would be respectful to mention that person's name first ... do you agree?
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    sorry about that man...i was supposed to do that.....so whats the next topic?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... there is another saying in Chinese, "just one sorry, and you can get away with anything, even murder" ... oh, yeah, you are a foreigner, so you probably could ...
  • Hanyang
    Hanyang wrote:
    I like Jee's comment there so much!
    The best way to solve this problem is to leave. Seriously, because this country is not designed for your guys and not based on your common sense. You can used your common sense in your country but not in China, sorry to tell the truth so directly.
    That's makes sense!! you just said the truth. I think foreigners in Beijing,they must like Beijing somehow.
  • Laurayoung
    Laurayoung wrote:
    if you don't like here, why not go?
    hey, wake up, don't waste time here, go somewhere you like.
    you know, good habits and bad habits can't form in a day.
  • Amay
    Amay wrote:
    Excuse me ?can we speak in chinese?
  • Young
    Young wrote:
    i think this is a bnullshit thread! forreingers complains about chinese ppl spitting in public ... ..... etc? u know wat i found in the states? its only worse. for instance in some uni in SF. students just spit any where. they dont even hide it. IE they are not even ashamed of it. they dont Q on public transport either. i will take london as the second example. after 9PM. its not suprising to see welldressed bizmen pee on pub walls. i have yet to see such unmannered behavious in beijing

so if u dont like it, get back to whereever the hold you come from.
  • Steven Ritter
    Steven Ritter wrote:
    Where's the tolerance. if you don't like a situation..leave the area.....this get out of the country seems far out. hopefully in time people will not do the stupid annoying things.
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahaha ... "leave it if they dont like it"? ... I did not like London Chinatown and SOHO is terrible, and I did not like driving on the wrong side of the road from Newark Airport to my hotel at 1am ...

Now, to all the Chinese who are overseas, or have been overseas and now back in China ... did you like where you went? Was it above or below your expectation? If it was below your expectation, why did you choose to stay?

Now, to all the Chinese pondering migration or studying aboard or just envious of people who had gone ... if you have been hearing all the wonderful and fantastic stories of people living overseas, or came back from overseas, please also find out the tears behind those stories ... you will not like it ...

Decades ago, I was myself an overseas student as well as a migrant ... I am afraid that I dont have any successful or cheerful story to share, but I had enjoyed living overseas and I only left because of personal reason (went back to Hong Kong after graduation because I did not want to get married; came to Beijing in 2006 because of family reason) ... however, I have seen Chinese going overseas, then cursing that they are not welcomed by the system etc ...

My two points are, and they can be applied to both Chinese and foreigners:

1. when people leaves his/her home country for another country, he/she is considered a foreigner, would he/she leave just because there is something they dont like? More than likey "no" ...

2. (firstly, for the foreigners) ... imagine a Chinese going to your country, and saying that they dont like this and dont like that, would you suggest them to leave? Possibly not ... now to the Chinese, when you go overseas, and your foreigner friends dont ask you to leave because you complain about everything, then why do you say that? What gives you more right than they do?

There are many things I dont like about China, things that I cannot change ... I am here because of my wife, so dont ask me to leave ... hahaha

Good night
  • Ethan
    Ethan wrote:

Cant Change the World..........So Stop Trying..

• Nadine
    Nadine wrote:
    whatever.up up .......
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    come on Hanyang, U dont just ask peoople to leave if u know that the whole world is open to everyone...i understand if we compare this whole thing to racism that was going on in most of the european countries, they have changed due to the attention they were getting from the rest of the world that its wrong and they really responded positively though it took quite a while...what i would like to emphasize here is that China is now the center of attraction to the rest of the world and globally their social behaviours especially by people who just moved to the city is not appreciated by others rather just to them....otherwise they were not supposed to put more effort at internationally standardising their own acountry as compared to other countries like USA and britain..come on guys we know every mother land should preserve their cultural heritages and sometimes there are just things that are really inapropriate and we just have to take them out of opther peoples eyes though its still in their mined,,,,, in addition to that common sense can play a major role in achieving some of these......so i believe we need change
  • Hanyang
    Hanyang wrote:
    每个人有自己的生活方式和看待事物的不同角度,没有必要强迫别人用同一视角看世界。总之大家开开心心的就好了。
    既来之则安之!
  • Mathew Abisai
    Mathew Abisai wrote:
    your concern Hanyang is not really focussed on everyone u are taking this as if its a problem among just villagers who dont really give a fuck about each other...no this is a problem that is supposed to be facing 1.4 billion people....so whatever personalities u find in individuals i guess this is what we should set aside and look at the bigger picture here,,..... my pont is we need to eventually advice one another. the whole nation, to stop some of these behaviours we know its hard and even more harder according to how u justified ur point, but i believe even ur self cannot be happy about spitting which is the main concern here....and of course there are so many irregularities among chinese people that need to be approached the same way too.... come on guys we know everyone is proud of who they are but sometimes weve got to put the pride aside and concentrate on what is helpful.....and please chinese people educate each other...Africa is not one country its a continent just like Asia, Europe and others
  • Lucasta
    Lucasta wrote:
    So hit

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.